Jan 04, 2011, 11:20 PM
"LiPo-Blaster"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yort69
My Viper will be here tomorrow. Planning on MB1 on 4s for starts then eventually 5s. Widen the mains and some glass or carbon fiber up front around the hatch area (looks weak up there). Carbon spars in the wings and tail feathers and vertices for extra strength and some packing tape completely covered for a much more durable, dent and scratch resistant plane. I have my 64mm F-18 covered in packing tape and you wouldnt believe the difference it makes and doesn't add but maybe 12 grams of weight if you dont overlap the tape much. Looks pretty good if its done right.... I just hope everything arrives in good shape with no issues. Been doing RC for years without problems but when i got in to this flying hobby it seems like every other order there is some sort of issue some small and some ridiculous. I have had good dealings with Nitro so far so hopefully this one wont be any different....
Yort, seems we have about the same plans in mind for our F/A-18's. Maybe you could do a short DIY on how to apply packing tape while making it look good, I can't seem to get it right!
Thanks,
-Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3tman
Oh I know, I could care less if this thread stays on topic or not what ever passes the time till we all get our jets.

j3tman,
I hear ya j3t, can't wait to get my hands on mine!
to remove ads between posts
Jan 04, 2011, 11:26 PM
[QUOTE=RugFlyer;17008784]Hey, I didn't bring up "tail cones".

OK , back on topic. Here's my last Exceed 70mm F/A-18(the previous gen sold through Nitro-Planes).
Powered by a 2W-20/HET 70mm Fan on 4S, modified gears & onboard Video.

What kind of thrust would You say you get out if the HET unit
Jan 04, 2011, 11:28 PM
I ordered my plane yesterday but have not got any info yet on shipping, how long did
It take y'all to get yours
Jan 04, 2011, 11:28 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by RugFlyer
York, seems we have about the same plans in mind for our F/A-18's. Maybe you could do a short DIY on how to apply packing tape while making it look good, I can't seem to get it right!
Thanks,
-Rick
LOL, Well i'll admit it doesnt look as good with it as it does without BUT it doesnt look bad at all if its done right and the tape isnt running all different directions with air bubbles and major overlap. On my f-18 you can hardly tell its on there from certain angles but if the light hits it a certain way then you can see it more because of the shine. The tape i use is that Ducky brand and it will contour around the curves nicely without buckling up.
I'm about finished with my 64mm and will post pictures of it in the Hornet Mod thread very soon....
I'll keep you guys posted on my build of this 70mm as well and i'll be getting idea's from you at the same time
Jan 04, 2011, 11:34 PM
Wheels make the world go-round
Quote:
Originally Posted by mavdriver
Is all in good fun why not awesome plane , looking forward to getting mine soon i`m going to be at AMA show Saturday , hoping to pick up one there if they have them available .
I'm going to try to head over to the AMA expo as well on Saturday if I don't have to work. It should be a lot of fun. It will be my first time going.
Jan 04, 2011, 11:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_53_70
I ordered my plane yesterday but have not got any info yet on shipping, how long did
It take y'all to get yours
I believe I got shipping information the next day.
Jan 04, 2011, 11:43 PM
"LiPo-Blaster"
[QUOTE=john_53_70;17009160]
Quote:
Hey, I didn't bring up "tail cones".

OK , back on topic. Here's my last Exceed 70mm F/A-18(the previous gen sold through Nitro-Planes).
Powered by a 2W-20/HET 70mm Fan on 4S, modified gears & onboard Video.

What kind of thrust would You say you get out if the HET unit
I never got Trust figures but on my wattmeter it was putting out a tad over 700watts and that's with a small 2200mah 4S/30C lipo.
Jan 04, 2011, 11:54 PM
[QUOTE=RugFlyer;17009328]
Quote:
I never got Trust figures but on my wattmeter it was putting out a tad over 700watts and that's with a small 2200mah 4S/30C lipo.
Wow that's pretty darn good might have to look at putting that in mine
Jan 05, 2011, 06:45 AM
[QUOTE=RugFlyer;17009328]
Quote:
[QUOTE=john_53_70;17009409]
Quote:

Wow that's pretty darn good might have to look at putting that in mine
Try the stock system first. I ran mine up last night with a 2650mah 4S pack and got just over 700 watts at 45-50 amp draw on a fresh pack
Jan 05, 2011, 10:26 AM
I have a question guys, I just ordered some fiberglass sheets from hobbyking to use on the bottom intakes of a 64mm f-18, what substance do i apply to the fiberglass sheets in order for it to retain its shape?

I know its a newbie question.....thanks though lol.
Jan 05, 2011, 10:42 AM
Quote:

Try the stock system first. I ran mine up last night with a 2650mah 4S pack and got just over 700 watts at 45-50 amp draw on a fresh pack
Well I would but, I orderd the kit only I wanted to order the ARF but
For some reson I could not order it off the net I tried and tried to call them but they were not open so I just got the kit, can you order the stock set up? or can you tell me where to find it?
Jan 05, 2011, 10:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGuilty13
I have a question guys, I just ordered some fiberglass sheets from hobbyking to use on the bottom intakes of a 64mm f-18, what substance do i apply to the fiberglass sheets in order for it to retain its shape?

I know its a newbie question.....thanks though lol.
Epoxy resin use a good brand tho the stuff they sell at walmart does not work look on you tube and watch some of the videos they have on how to do it it, can be a bit tricky the first time you work with it so I recommend practicing on some thing else first. And what weight fiberglass did you order?
Jan 05, 2011, 11:08 AM
Can't you use WBPU like Minwax as well? Then, after it dries, a coat of WBPU mixed with baby powder mixed to pancake batter consistency will fill in the visual seems to give a more smooth look. I've never fiberglassed anything, just read about it. How many layers of fiberglass cloth and WBPU (or epoxy) would be used? I know there are several sanding processes, but not sure where in the sequence it would be done.
Jan 05, 2011, 11:24 AM
JGuilty3

Ya know a trick I used on my f-15 was I got some regular 5 min epoxy, mixed it up very good and used a paint brush to in away paint the epoxy on my f-15 intakes It worked very well you might want to give that a try first
Jan 05, 2011, 11:28 AM
john 53 70, did you mix anything with the 5min epoxy? I once heard to mix water with it, but i wouldnt think water would mix well with that stuff. What does WBPU stand for?

Quick Reply