Jan 10, 2013, 06:18 AM
advanced n00b
How you find time to build and have kids is CRAZY! haha
to remove ads between posts
Jan 10, 2013, 08:03 AM
Now thats a "Newbie" pilot if I ever saw one "Ispin" !!!
Jan 10, 2013, 09:34 AM
VERY VERY nice...

Pray tell, how did you do your after burner lights?

Kids sleep a lot at first, they'll need you more around 2ish and then they don't want to be associated with you in front of friends and stuff.

Great time to build
Jan 10, 2013, 12:44 PM
advanced n00b
I've been focusing on band stuff lately so i haven't done much. I have a couple ideas for projects to make this Zero a little more reliable but other than that i really have nothing new on the table. I only have 5 flights on this Zero so far and the FMS retracts are almost as garbage as the ExceedRC. Good thing is that the e-flites wont put it on such a narrow path like with this plane so i am probably going to do that. Still haven't sold the F18. Might just take the loss and save all the equipment and put towards another warbird, less the motor and fan of course.
Jan 10, 2013, 01:16 PM
Defender of the park sky
Yeah I'm off work for a little bit so I have time when the rest of the fam is sleeping.

All the lighting is from the hobby king kit ($12!)

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=17865

It took a little fiddling to get to work but it does. The afterburners run off the balance port of a 3 or 4 cell, the other lights are powered from your RX (aux port) so I count it as a servo basically. So I'm glad I lack rudders/retracts at the moment.
The afterburner lights that come with this kit are way too big, draggy, heavy.

I installed two strips of yellow, two strips of red over aluminum tape behind the fan to the nozzles. The combo of both yellow and red LEDs gives a realistic fire appearance.

http://www.hobbypartz.com/79p-10201.html
http://www.hobbypartz.com/79p-10192.html

These LEDs are pretty bright, and light and low profile. Great for in the fan flow. They are adhesive back but I only trust that for placement. I've been dripping CA in there to hold mine. Will be testing soon to see if they stay in place.
Jan 10, 2013, 06:24 PM
Progress with the process...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd-dem
Finished all the electronics and did some static tests and weights;

All Up weight..............1396g (49.28oz)
Bird w/o lipos..............1001g (35.36oz)
4s 40c 3000 lipo...........347g (12.32oz)
3s 450 lipo(on bec).........48g (1.6oz)

Thrust as measured in the video and settling a bit = 1464g (51.64oz), the scale read 1530g (53.97oz) at its' peak. Here's a short vid on how I tested it;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=3XEhKXIptAE
Very nice! Sounds great, even against the wall like that. Bet it does sound good in the air. How does it compare performance wise vs. your first one?
Jan 11, 2013, 04:50 AM
I think the wall makes it louder than it really is. On the work rack it's a lot quieter with not as much of the white noise. The performance seems about 25% better, only way to really know will be to fly it! Soon!
Jan 11, 2013, 08:37 AM
Spin- congratulations on the birth of your children! Future pilots!

And your lights and cockpit look great, man! Too cool.
Jan 11, 2013, 11:37 AM
WTN
WTN
Well,

Just spent one hour with a follow up post .

And there it goes.
Jan 12, 2013, 08:09 AM
Hi all,

I bought the Blue Angel kit and i almost finished to assemble it.

I will install a Change Sun 10 blades, HobbyWing FlyFun 100A and HobbyKing Dr. Mad Thrust 4S motor. I also installed rudder.

I know some of you bought it with retracts and decided not to use it. I would be interested in buying only the metal struts with wheels as they are out of stock on nitro site.

Here is the link : http://www.nitroplanes.com/69a718-20...ndinggear.html

Please PM me if you're willing to sell them.

Thank you.
Jan 12, 2013, 08:08 PM
Defender of the park sky
I wish I new about these Dr. Mad Thrust motors before buying the Turnigy one. Oh well, see how you guy s make out with it. next set-up probably try that with a 12 blade CS fan. Awesome how you get busy for a couple months and find a whole bunch of new stuff for 70mm out there. Going to be a kick arse flying season.
Jan 12, 2013, 08:32 PM
I hope that Dr. Mad Thrust motor will arrive back in stock soon. This is the last i need to complete my build.

Here is the specs:

Specs:
RPM/V: 3000kv
Voltage: 2-4s
Max current: 85A
Max Power: 1300 watts
Suggested Rpm Operating Range.
High Blade Count: 41000rpm
Low Blade Count: 46000rpm
Pole: 4
Diameter: 29mm
Front Mounting Hole Distance: 19mm
Shaft Diameter: 3.17
Shaft Length: 10mm
Front mount Thread Size: M3
Plug type: Bullet-Connector 3.5mm
Weight: 194g

Just can't wait to know how many amps my set up will draw...
Jan 12, 2013, 09:19 PM
An aspirational fast jet pilot
A 3.5mm bullet connector on a motor that has maximum 85a current draw is pushing it. The connectors should be 4mm, the 3.5mm is only rated to about 72amps. Might want check the current draw on your set up to be safe.
Jan 13, 2013, 06:25 PM
hello all.
I am interested in this jet and I conprarlo. Be it a good jet?
I know if I can be good in the stock version?
Comes complete with everything you need to add or something?
What that lipo fly? you can use lipo 4s 3300 40c?
thanks
Jan 13, 2013, 06:48 PM
Defender of the park sky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty001
hello all.
I am interested in this jet and I conprarlo. Be it a good jet?
I know if I can be good in the stock version?
Comes complete with everything you need to add or something?
What that lipo fly? you can use lipo 4s 3300 40c?
thanks
I love the jet stock, all I've flown it so far has been stock even though it is ready to fly modded today.
4S 3300mah 40C might be a bit heavy IMO stock. The motor/fan that comes with it is pretty light. You may find it nose heavy with a long roll out on take off.
2200mah - 2800mah is better in stock trim.

Quick Reply