Jan 29, 2013, 04:17 PM
Tossing planes into the snow
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlar633
Yep it is fixable but think I will just take off the useable parts and use them in a Guppy.
I was planning on giving it away anyway. Looking back I guess I should be angry but hey it gave me more fun than it cost.
Since you have some Radian Pro wings that are so broken, maybe you could enlighten us as to what they look like inside. On the underside of my wing there are two strips of tape. One of them looks like it is just there to cover the wiring, but there might be a fiberglass stiffener underneath.

The other one (closer to the leading edge) looks like it would be covering a fiberglass spar that would extend about 3/4 of the way to the tip. Is that the case? Did the FG stiffener break on your wing?
to remove ads between posts
Jan 29, 2013, 04:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovanx
Since you have some Radian Pro wings that are so broken, maybe you could enlighten us as to what they look like inside. On the underside of my wing there are two strips of tape. One of them looks like it is just there to cover the wiring, but there might be a fiberglass stiffener underneath.

The other one (closer to the leading edge) looks like it would be covering a fiberglass spar that would extend about 3/4 of the way to the tip. Is that the case? Did the FG stiffener break on your wing?
My day is over but will check to see on the AM.
Jan 29, 2013, 04:55 PM
Kit Manufacturer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio.Active
And yet another "I agree". What I see is a fuse that is not damaged any more than a lot of others seen here and on the Radian thread. I also see an extended wing Radian Phoenix Pro rising from the ashes using a new wing set plus, either the 2 inboard sections up to the breaks at the ends of the wing spar, or, adding the good bits at the tips to extending the tips on the new set.

Its the old lemons > lemon aid thingy
I'd glue the wings back together and maybe put some fiber reinforced strapping tape down the wing top and bottom for added support. The glue joint will be as strong as the foam.
Jan 29, 2013, 04:56 PM
Kit Manufacturer
Quote:
Originally Posted by dth7
Thanks very much. What size CF for the wing and fuse spars? I would think strips for the sings (vertical mount) and rods for the fuse for lateral and vertical rigidity. I have a few foamie 3Ds so the skewers on the tail feathers I know about. How about the wing mounting set up? I get a little wobble in the wing saddle?
Appreciate the help. I did the same over on the Peaks and there are loads of good mods. Always a good place to check for tips before a disappointing maiden that could have been avoided.
Look forward to pics and your reply.
Wing spar is 9.5mm or 3/8" and I got mine at RCFoam.com
Jan 29, 2013, 05:33 PM

pro crash

OK rather than repair and add weight where can I buy a wing set and fuselage for the Pro? I went to parkzone site and they did not list wings or fuse.
I figure that starting from scratch as it were I can do some mods easier. Put in a better ESC switch to larger prop. thin the trailing edge of the wing use better hinging maybe even take the center section and increase the wingspan to almost 3 meters. Put carbon in wing spanswise.
Jan 29, 2013, 05:39 PM
Quote:
OK rather than repair and add weight where can I buy a wing set and fuselage for the Pro? I went to parkzone site and they did not list wings or fuse.
I figure that starting from scratch as it were I can do some mods easier. Put in a better ESC switch to larger prop. thin the trailing edge of the wing use better hinging maybe even take the center section and increase the wingspan to almost 3 meters. Put carbon in wing spanswise.
Ebay has the fuse and use to have the wings as well but I havn't seem them for a while. Your local HS should be able to put an order for you though...at least mine has been able to.
Jan 29, 2013, 05:51 PM
Quote:
I like your plan. I've thought about thinning the trailing edge just by putting some tape on the underside and sanding the top down to whatever. Make the wingspan bigger...yes. Take FG out and replace with CF...yes! Sometimes a big crash can lead to a better plane. I'm looking forward to the results of your experiments.
Jan 29, 2013, 05:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by foamyflyerr
BTW the camera is not even a Go Pro it is an inexpensive camera called an "action camera"

http://actionshotcam.com/
Any info on what the view angle of that camera is? I have looked for specs online but have not found any.
Jan 29, 2013, 06:17 PM
Back in the hobby- ALL in!
Quote:
Yes the mod thread is right here...
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...646181&page=12

I'm going to gather up some pictures and post them to that thread in the next hour or so.
Thanks!
Jan 29, 2013, 06:30 PM
Quote:
You should check out Horizon Hobby for parts. Fuselage $28, wing set $35.
Jan 29, 2013, 07:21 PM
Closed Account
Last edited by Radio.Active; Jun 13, 2013 at 10:30 AM.
Jan 30, 2013, 01:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreman
I agree. besides, if you screw up fixing it, you can always throw it away later

I have a rule that anything I think is totalled I collect all the parts together and stick them in a corner of my show. I find that 2-3 weeks later, the damage looks a lot less. Just always police the area and pick up all the foam. It's a great rainy day jigsaw puzzle and then you can fly the cr@p out of it and not worry since it's a "free plane" from the scrap heap
That is very good advice, coreman. I lost the Corsair in the sun this summer and "totaled" it. I had to ask someone for a garbage bag because I didn't have one, and picked up all the little pieces and put them in. I couldn't even bear to look at it for about 3 weeks, but the day finally came.

Now it flies as well as ever, and although it looks a little ratty close up, it is still beautiful in the air.
Jan 30, 2013, 09:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptondave
Any info on what the view angle of that camera is? I have looked for specs online but have not found any.
The camera is a dome like shaped thing that shots straight forward so if you see in my earlier videos where it was mounted on the wing facing down it shot just the ground.

Aerial Video from King City January 2013 (3 min 14 sec)

The video from last weekend I got the idea in the middle of the night saturday night to strap the helmet mount around the fuselage by modifiying it with a velcro strap.

aerial video San Mateo Bridge mashland 01 27 2103 (10 min 18 sec)

I just looked in the manual (if you can call it that) and on the camera . No mention of view angle / sorry bout that.

FF
Jan 30, 2013, 10:41 AM
Quote:
OK I have enclosed a picture of rather bad quality to show strips of very thin ply or basswood that goes from the root and towards the tip. I did not pull any tape loose to check anything else.
Jan 30, 2013, 10:52 AM
Quote:
I like your plan. I've thought about thinning the trailing edge just by putting some tape on the underside and sanding the top down to whatever. Make the wingspan bigger...yes. Take FG out and replace with CF...yes! Sometimes a big crash can lead to a better plane. I'm looking forward to the results of your experiments.
[I] decided to post-pone "Guppy build" because I don't want to not be able to fly.
I will include as many sensible mods that I can and since my current center section are pretty intact will give it a larger wingspan which probably would include modifying the existing flaps which are broken 2" off the outboard sides.

What do you think of fiber glassing the fuse or even silk span and polycrlic .
Maybe polycrilc and silk span everything. or fiberglass the fuse to give it some strength and silk span the wings and tail. The larger wingspan should easily overcome the additional weight. A larger prop and ESC will help too.
anyone want a build report or just wait for the finished product? or not.

Quick Reply