Jan 17, 2013, 10:58 PM
fly 1 day, repair the next 3
Yippee, I just ordered a RP! For the first time I will not have to worry about motors or battery or esc's matching up. Just take it out of the box and ficken fly the thing. Can't wait. One thing though... I'm going to be using a 3 cell 1800 mAh 25c pack and was wondering if this is going to be a problem. Maybe just move the pack forward a little to get a correct cg. Might give me a little more umph.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 18, 2013, 12:25 AM
I would recommend the 1300 over the 1800 for normal thermal hunting. I needed more weight rearwards on mine. I fly my 1800 and 2200's when the wind is ripping and I want weight forward and upwind penetration overall.

--Jason
Jan 18, 2013, 06:29 AM
Kit Manufacturer
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeruth
For me I have been in the hobby now for over 40 years, of course back then nitro was about your only option, and I never would have even given the thought of flying a glider more than a heartbeats time. I flew pattern for many years and have to say I enjoyed it quite a bit, then the electrics started appearing. Didn't think much of it in the begining as packs were expensive and of course the variety was small. As it grew I got an EZ glider and of course souped it up and flew it more like a plane on steriods than a glider, then I was introduced to a field that was electric only and how to look for thermals. That was it, almost all of my RC interest went there, I still fly hot rods now and then, I think its good for the fingers and the rush. No matter what a 150+mph beast is a rush. I build and sell a 3D epp plane that is simply put, a blast as well But as I have progressed with gliders I'm now in to DLG's as well. That to was a segment of this hobby I would have never thought of doing and now I watch the sky and the air no matter where I am when ever I can, wishing I had a plane up right now!. I'm addicted

sorry for off topic comments, back to regular programing
I assume you've looked at the adrenaline rush? yeah, I've been in it since 1970 so I can relate. Lipos were a godsend from a weight perspective. 16 nicad cells gets a bit heavy. My glider introduction was a 2M with an .049 power pod I had to wait to run out of fuel before gliding and there were no go arounds, still, it was fun and led me to compete in thermal duration for years. The RP is a nice reentry into lawn chair flying for fun and relaxation. being a manufacturer is so much fun, isn't it?
Jan 18, 2013, 12:46 PM
Do you see what I see?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myko
Yippee, I just ordered a RP! For the first time I will not have to worry about motors or battery or esc's matching up. Just take it out of the box and ficken fly the thing. Can't wait. One thing though... I'm going to be using a 3 cell 1800 mAh 25c pack and was wondering if this is going to be a problem. Maybe just move the pack forward a little to get a correct cg. Might give me a little more umph.
Congrats!!! She's a blast, you'll have fun, escpecially when you get that first thermal!!

Have fun!!!
Jan 18, 2013, 01:10 PM
Tossing planes into the snow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasong911
I would recommend the 1300 over the 1800 for normal thermal hunting. I needed more weight rearwards on mine. I fly my 1800 and 2200's when the wind is ripping and I want weight forward and upwind penetration overall.
--Jason
Agreed that the 1300 is better for everyday flying. I also have a 1000 50c battery that is even lighter and it's great. I tried using bigger batteries on windy days and they help, but what works even better is ballast in the wing tube. This plane is nose heavy out of the box even with the recommended 1300, and a bigger battery makes it more nose heavy

I have a solid 3/8" steel rod that I use as a wing spar on super-windy days. It weighs almost 400 grams but doesn't change the CG due to it's location, and wing-flex is zero because it is so stiff. It also reduces the roll rate which isn't a bad thing on days like that. Gusts have less of a tendency to tilt the wings, so it provides a degree of lateral stability as well.
Jan 18, 2013, 01:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovanx
Agreed that the 1300 is better for everyday flying. I also have a 1000 50c battery that is even lighter and it's great. I tried using bigger batteries on windy days and they help, but what works even better is ballast in the wing tube. This plane is nose heavy out of the box even with the recommended 1300, and a bigger battery makes it more nose heavy

I have a solid 3/8" steel rod that I use as a wing spar on super-windy days. It weighs almost 400 grams but doesn't change the CG due to it's location, and wing-flex is zero because it is so stiff. It also reduces the roll rate which isn't a bad thing on days like that. Gusts have less of a tendency to tilt the wings, so it provides a degree of lateral stability as well.
I tried using just my 1/4 inch threaded steel rod glued inside the stock spar on a windy day, and it wasn't enough for me. My primary field is in the lee of a sharp ridge, and if the temp is warm enough to fly without my blizzard gear, then it usually means that the drainage winds are howling, and we get a 15 to 30 type day. It's fun when using both the larger battery and heavy spar, and a lot more "Whoa!" when I put in the 1300. Still, all the experimenting is blazing good fun.

--jason
Jan 18, 2013, 01:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasong911
Still, all the experimenting is blazing good fun.
Yes flying in the mountains has it's rewards and challenges, whether it is summer or winter. There is no such thing as a steady wind. It changes directions often and gusts can be devastating. Most days I like to fly the Radian and RP as light as possible and just deal with the wind and do hover-landings. When the wind gets really crazy, the heavy wing spar settles them down nicely.

If you go to your local welding shop, they should have a 3/8" non-threaded steel rod. If not they should know where you could get one. It is much heavier than a 1/4" threaded rod, and fits nicely into the wings.
Jan 18, 2013, 01:47 PM
The "Foaminator"
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreman
I assume you've looked at the adrenaline rush? yeah, I've been in it since 1970 so I can relate. Lipos were a godsend from a weight perspective. 16 nicad cells gets a bit heavy. My glider introduction was a 2M with an .049 power pod I had to wait to run out of fuel before gliding and there were no go arounds, still, it was fun and led me to compete in thermal duration for years. The RP is a nice reentry into lawn chair flying for fun and relaxation. being a manufacturer is so much fun, isn't it?
Haven't done the Adreniline Rush yet! but I have done the NanoPlanes Babyshark built up, Radar said 165! Felt like 265 LOL. They do capture your attention.

And as a manufacture, uggg, if I was making a living at it well maybe, but it's just for the local crowd. Did 76 planes in 6 months last year and due to moving and health had to stop for a while. That might be a good thing
Jan 18, 2013, 02:29 PM
fly 1 day, repair the next 3
Has anybody attempted or achieved a barrelroll? Is it even possible?
Jan 18, 2013, 02:36 PM
The "Foaminator"
Quote:
Uhh yeah, attempted and achieved by many i'm sure.
Jan 18, 2013, 02:38 PM
Quote:
Yes it is possible and I have done it once. It is also possible to get a Mustang to soar if there is enough lift, and I have done that too.
Jan 18, 2013, 05:21 PM
Kit Manufacturer
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeruth
Haven't done the Adreniline Rush yet! but I have done the NanoPlanes Babyshark built up, Radar said 165! Felt like 265 LOL. They do capture your attention.

And as a manufacture, uggg, if I was making a living at it well maybe, but it's just for the local crowd. Did 76 planes in 6 months last year and due to moving and health had to stop for a while. That might be a good thing
165!! I'm just building my first AR but I have it cranking 3000kv 2730 with 4.75x4.75 props which should get it at least over 100. With the profile, I figure I'll just listen for the impact in the trees downrange as my eyes will never keep up with it. I did 56 BnF planes last year and it saddens me to be in my shop all the time for others. i used to love scratch building
Jan 18, 2013, 08:02 PM
Boost rules!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovanx
Yes it is possible and I have done it once. It is also possible to get a Mustang to soar if there is enough lift, and I have done that too.
LOL! That was good. I once thermalled my .91 Saito-powered Ace Bingo! Had her just off-idle with the on-board glow lit, circling for nearly 10 minutes without losing altitude. Unfortunately, I had to cut out early. The club field's resident bald eagle wasn't in the mood for sharing his hunting circle with me that day & decided give chase. I quickly learned that bald eagles can be pretty damn fast when they want to be, and that they can easily out-maneuver a 60-size Bingo! I could just barely stay ahead of him @ WOT in level flight, and he'd start to catch up in the turns. He chased me around the field long enough that I was worried about running out of fuel. He finally got bored & broke it off. There was just over an ounce of useable fuel left in the tank when I got back to the pits.

Joel
Last edited by turboparker; Jan 19, 2013 at 09:58 AM.
Jan 18, 2013, 08:49 PM
Drifting off the reservation..
Quote:
Yes, the RP will barrel roll. It takes some speed which bleeds off lots of energy.
Jan 18, 2013, 09:20 PM
Breaker of Things
I bought a Radian Pro last summer and had it out a few times. This is my first plane after flying heli's for a few years. I thought it would be an nice relaxing change and I had a blast just floating around learning how a plane reacts etc. Now I finally come on here to read up on the threads here and over at the Mystique thread. (saw the banner ad and thought it was a cool looking glider) Wow, there seems to be a LOT more to gliders than just motoring up and floating down, motoring up and floating down....

I'm going to go check out HobbyKing and see if I can buy an electronic thermal finder...

Paul

Quick Reply