Parkzone Radian Pro Owners Thread - Page 757 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Thread Tools
Dec 14, 2012, 12:37 PM
Registered User
campbellj's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovanx
Could you possibly post some pictures of your mod? Did you just put a ring around each prop pin, or cover the whole thing? I would like to try this.

After a year with the RP and 5 months with the Radian, I never broke a prop or a spinner. There were a few minor nose-ins along the way. Then I started to push the envelope (slope soaring over rocks and lots of hand-catches), and broke 4 of them in 2 months. It is not minor nose in events that break it, but prop strikes. All 4 were caused by my wrong decision to hit the throttle when the plane was too close to the ground.

If you hear that squealing sound, you may as well assume the spinner is broken.
+1 for the pics, I would also like to see it. Seems like a great idea!
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Dec 14, 2012, 08:27 PM
Upside down, downunder in Oz
Moby58's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptondave
I have no proof but my theory is that you should avoid mounting a receiver in close proximity to the ESC. ESCs generate high energy pulses which could cause interference.
Also, the ESC will generate a lot of heat at times, so anything on top wil a) reduce cooling of ESC, and b) put that heat into the sat aerial.
Dec 14, 2012, 08:49 PM
Zor
Zor
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by campbellj
Stayed up tonight and repaired my wings on my RP the best I could. I'm probably not going to go too much more with it though, unless any of you have any more suggestions. I will probably put clear packing tape all down the leading edges and I might fill in the scratches with light weight spackle but that will be about it. Here is what I done so far


I'm pretty happy with the results so far. Hopefully I will have her back up in the air soon!
You could install an aluminum leading edge as I did on my Radian pro.

Zor
Dec 14, 2012, 09:51 PM
I Fly!
jrtubb's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovanx
Could you possibly post some pictures of your mod? Did you just put a ring around each prop pin, or cover the whole thing?
Let me see see what I can do tonight. I didn't take in pictures as I went so I'll go out and update the extra one I have.
Dec 14, 2012, 10:37 PM
I Fly!
jrtubb's Avatar
Sorry pictures suck I tried the best but camera was having a hard time focusing, you should be able to get the general idea.

You will need fiberglass cloth for joining built up balsa wings.
Name: 100_0300.jpg
Views: 132
Size: 136.9 KB
Description: First you will need some fiberglass, I used some for joining balsa wings together.

Rough up / sand lightly the four areas on each side of the spinner where the pins insert to hold the prop blades in.
Name: 100_0301.jpg
Views: 134
Size: 96.6 KB
Description: Sand this area a bit with a file, you want to rough up the surface to bond the fiberglass too.

Cut the fiberglass into strips and place on each section and drop CA glue onto it. I use the tip to spread it out all the way past the edges of the spinner sides. Using some pliers to hold it keeps you from gluing your fingers together
Name: 100_0304.jpg
Views: 130
Size: 85.3 KB
Description: Cut fiberglass into strips and place on this area, I drop the CA glue onto it and use the tip to spread it out as I go.
Last edited by jrtubb; Dec 14, 2012 at 10:49 PM.
Dec 14, 2012, 10:47 PM
I Fly!
jrtubb's Avatar
Let the glue dry really good for each of the four sides, you want some glue to wick-out from the edges to make it easier to trim flush to the sides.
Name: 100_0305.jpg
Views: 116
Size: 91.0 KB
Description:

When glue is dry, trip with hobby knife flush to the edges and one up the pin holes.
Name: 100_0310.jpg
Views: 127
Size: 94.1 KB
Description:

That is it, you will need to sand down the spinner inside edges that touch the sides that have fiberglass s they will still fit together smoothly.
Dec 15, 2012, 07:08 PM
Tossing planes into the snow
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtubb
That is it, you will need to sand down the spinner inside edges that touch the sides that have fiberglass s they will still fit together smoothly.
Thanks for that jrtubb. Although the pictures were fuzzy the verbal description was clear. I have pondered other possible solutions such as hollowing out some of the cheap plastic and putting a metal or nylon washer there to make it stronger.

I know all the guys with aluminum spinners are laughing while reading this, but I just can't bring myself to the point of adding a bunch of weight to the front of a plane that is already nose heavy.

In defense of aluminum spinners, both Radio.Active and Av8rshane have come up with effective methods of moving the CG back, making the use of heavy aluminum spinners more viable. Maybe someday I will go that route, but right now I am sticking to the story that all of the failures of the stock spinner are pilot-induced.
Dec 15, 2012, 07:14 PM
This thing runs real nice...
Nam Lemmi's Avatar
Finally bought a Radian Pro during the week(it's my first glider).

Had a lovely maiden in 15-20mph winds and even managed a little slope soaring.
The crow is amazing! Awesome to see how it slows the glider right down.

The ailerons seemed so sluggish. It felt like I had to use massive amounts of rudder to get the glider to turn. Why are the ailerons so ineffective?

Next day tried a low pass at WOT and lost control. She nosed into the ground at WOT
Dec 15, 2012, 07:23 PM
Tossing planes into the snow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nam Lemmi
Finally bought a Radian Pro during the week(it's my first glider).

Had a lovely maiden in 15-20mph winds and even managed a little slope soaring.
The crow is amazing! Awesome to see how it slows the glider right down.

The ailerons seemed so sluggish. It felt like I had to use massive amounts of rudder to get the glider to turn. Why are the ailerons so ineffective?

Next day tried a low pass at WOT and lost control. She nosed into the ground at WOT
The ailerons are ineffective because the stock FG wing spar is so wimpy. If you replace that with a stiff CF rod the ailerons will respond to your commands.

Why would anybody do a low pass at WOT with this plane? It is a glider. I like to do high speed passes but only with the motor off.
Dec 15, 2012, 07:31 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nam Lemmi
Finally bought a Radian Pro during the week(it's my first glider).

Had a lovely maiden in 15-20mph winds and even managed a little slope soaring.
The crow is amazing! Awesome to see how it slows the glider right down.

The ailerons seemed so sluggish. It felt like I had to use massive amounts of rudder to get the glider to turn. Why are the ailerons so ineffective?

Next day tried a low pass at WOT and lost control. She nosed into the ground at WOT
The longer the wings the more effect adverse yaw has and the greater the need for aileron differential.
Dec 15, 2012, 07:37 PM
Kit Manufacturer
coreman's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovanx
Maybe someday I will go that route, but right now I am sticking to the story that all of the failures of the stock spinner are pilot-induced.
They are, the pilots refuse to see the light and swap them out!!
Latest blog entry: BluFO-XL review by Tim...
Dec 15, 2012, 07:43 PM
Kit Manufacturer
coreman's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovanx
Why would anybody do a low pass at WOT with this plane? It is a glider. I like to do high speed passes but only with the motor off.
I think the phrase (it's my first glider) (and he said it was bought this week) answers that question.

As a power pilot, what is your first task once the trimming is done? WOT passes.

What does the peanut gallery chant? Lower! Lower!
Latest blog entry: BluFO-XL review by Tim...
Dec 15, 2012, 08:29 PM
I'd rather be flying!
turboparker's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreman
I think the phrase (it's my first glider) (and he said it was bought this week) answers that question.

As a power pilot, what is your first task once the trimming is done?
WOT passes.

What does the peanut gallery chant? Lower! Lower!
Actually - as a power pilot, the first task after trimming should be to explore the plane's low-speed handling qualities, stall-behavior, and power-on/power-off glide characteristics up high. I've been doing it that way for 28 years so far. It tends to greatly extend a plane's service life.

Joel
Dec 15, 2012, 08:33 PM
Tossing planes into the snow
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreman
What does the peanut gallery chant? Lower! Lower!
LOL true! There is a limit to how low you can go. After that limit is exceeded, you no longer have a bunch of parts flying in formation.
Dec 15, 2012, 08:45 PM
Tossing planes into the snow
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker
Actually - as a power pilot, the first task after trimming should be to explore the plane's low-speed handling qualities, stall-behavior, and power-on/power-off glide characteristics up high. I've been doing it that way for 28 years so far. It tends to greatly extend a plane's service life.

Joel
I totally agree. Every time I maiden a new plane, I test out it's gliding abilities and stall characteristics, even though it is not a glider. I had a 28 minute flight with the Mustang once, thanks to a major thermal event. IMO trying to fly a warbird as a glider is better than trying to fly a glider as a warbird.


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rave New Parkzone Radian Pro-discussion thread!!! lightspeeddud Electric Sailplanes 3879 Sep 21, 2017 04:57 PM
Gallery Parkzone Radian Pro Video bakon Electric Sailplanes 9 Sep 30, 2015 05:20 PM
Discussion Official Radian Pro Thread Magnumb Parkflyers 15 Aug 16, 2015 07:12 PM
New Product Parkzone Radian Pro bakon Electric Plane Talk 24 Oct 01, 2010 02:39 AM
Discussion Parkzone Radian Pro $229.99 BnF preorder Tekwip Hot Online Deals 10 Sep 29, 2010 05:35 PM