Jun 19, 2011, 07:03 PM
Have heard that the battery needs to move foreward a bit. Try that and hand toss glides, no power. 25 to 30 % of the cord is a good place to start.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 19, 2011, 08:50 PM
Drifting off the reservation..
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldCraft
+1 on the 4s

If you plan to use bigger than 4s batteries in the future the 10s is great also...you can charge 2 batteries at once with it and you can get a refurb on for $99.
I ordered the 4s.
Still thinking about batteries.
Thanks to all for the help!
Jun 20, 2011, 05:50 AM
What do you guys recommend to strength the wings structure because of the extra weight I added to the radian pro? Steel rod instead of the stock rod?

Thanks!
Jun 20, 2011, 05:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HF_ATL
What do you guys recommend to strength the wings structure because of the extra weight I added to the radian pro? Steel rod instead of the stock rod?

Thanks!
Stock should still be fine unless you are doing some crazy aerobatics in which case the outer portion of the wing would fail before the spar IMO. Just keep dont do crazy fast dives or turns and you should be fine.
Jun 20, 2011, 06:02 AM
Quote:
Stock should still be fine unless you are doing some crazy aerobatics in which case the outer portion of the wing would fail before the spar IMO. Just keep dont do crazy fast dives or turns and you should be fine.
Thanks for your quick reply.
I'm asking this because on the last saturday it was very windy and the wings flexed a lot! Added to the loads because of the strong winds, the added weight contributes to having a more delicate structure, thus my question...

Btw, I rarely do acrobatics with the pro, I use it for fpv.
Jun 20, 2011, 05:47 PM
Quote:
I'm asking this because on the last saturday it was very windy and the wings flexed a lot! Added to the loads because of the strong winds, the added weight contributes to having a more delicate structure, thus my question...

Got a link to any of your flights....Im considering using mine for FPV too....right now I use and EZ*.
Jun 20, 2011, 08:14 PM
Anyone have the specs on the screws used to secure the wing? What length and thread? Thanks.
Jun 20, 2011, 08:37 PM
The "Foaminator"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattvr1ck
Anyone have the specs on the screws used to secure the wing? What length and thread? Thanks.
quick search came up with this....

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=2164

MIke r
Jun 20, 2011, 10:16 PM
Quote:

I have not heard anyone here say they folded a wing in flight....but then folks usually don't brag about that.

The wings are very flexible....it's disturbing sometime, but flex is a lot better than snap!

My weight with the contour camera and extra 4 ounces of lead in tail is about 42 ounces. I do moderate aerobatics with the camera installed....hasn't broken the wing yet.

That said, it's not fun to fly the rp in strong wind. Think about it, compared to a scale sailplane, the rp wings have a large chord in comparison to their span. It gets....really.....jumpy....
Jun 20, 2011, 10:45 PM
Someone once asked me how I get the wings to flap like that. It was a windy day.
Jun 20, 2011, 11:09 PM
Mile High Flyer CO USA
only jumpy in turbulent wind, ive flown mine in 30 mph down here in nm. as long as its smooth its ok
Jun 20, 2011, 11:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelloggair
only jumpy in turbulent wind, ive flown mine in 30 mph down here in nm. as long as its smooth its ok
Good point. We have so many trees down here...when it's windy it's usually turblent. Especially close to the ground where jumpy is not what you want.
Jun 21, 2011, 12:13 AM
Acacia II Lunar Lander
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpySticks
I have not heard anyone here say they folded a wing in flight....but then folks usually don't brag about that.

The wings are very flexible....it's disturbing sometime, but flex is a lot better than snap!

My weight with the contour camera and extra 4 ounces of lead in tail is about 42 ounces. I do moderate aerobatics with the camera installed....hasn't broken the wing yet.

That said, it's not fun to fly the rp in strong wind. Think about it, compared to a scale sailplane, the rp wings have a large chord in comparison to their span. It gets....really.....jumpy....
I'd bet that it'd be pretty difficult to load the wings high enough to break them. I say this because I've actually seen one of my wings bent about 30° up at the tip - out past the spar.

The long story is that I was flying slope out over an 80-foot cliff at Crystal Cove State Park in southern California, and ended up losing the RP over the cliff edge on a landing approach. She got lodged in a crevasse about 30 feet down the cliff face, with the wing tips wedged perfectly perpendicular to the crack.

In my efforts to retrieve her, I tried fishing her out with a makeshift fishing pole made of bamboo and a noose fashioned out of electrical tape. I managed to hook her by the prop and started pulling. I must have had at least 20 pounds of tension on the noose, and the wing was getting tweaked something awful. I was certain I'd end up having to replace it.

I finally freed her by clambering down into the crevasse, and pulling her out by hand. A friendly passer-by fished me back up with the pole, while his girlfriend took pictures.

Now for the payoff to this overly long tale... The only damage sustained was a tiny thumbnail-sized notch torn out of one of the flaps. (I think the guy I handed her up to was more worried about getting me back up, and may have picked the RP up by the flap. It was an easy repair.) The wings have had about a dozen flights since, and you'd never guess one of them had been twisted up like a hockey stick at the end!

Moral of the story: really, really tough wings on that Pro.
Last edited by RCRod; Jun 21, 2011 at 10:03 AM.
Jun 21, 2011, 03:07 AM
Quote:
Got a link to any of your flights....Im considering using mine for FPV too....right now I use and EZ*.
Yes I have. I'll put it online asap...
Jun 21, 2011, 03:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpySticks

Thanks JumpySticks!

So for now I'll stick with stock wing rod and keep an eye in the structure strength.

Quick Reply