Nov 12, 2012, 10:07 AM
I almost bought one of the Saito ignition engines when they came out. I could not decide between that and the new OS FS 60 four stroke. After seeing a huge bipe being flown by the OS, I ordered one. Did not have the money at the time to get both. I still have the OS, and it has powered many planes. Still runs like new only needing new brgs. every so often, and a good cleaning. I don't think it will ever wear out. I don't know how many gallons of fuel have been through it, but it has been a lot.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 12, 2012, 01:05 PM
Thermals, Tom
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofthewings04
We may have had this engine before on this thread, but here's my very rare Saito G60R sparkie, from the late 1970s as I recall. It may be going on Ebay soon unless anyone wants to make me an offer.....
Ah, to have 60c/gal gasoline again. John Pond offered to have it classified as an original ignition engine if they gave him one. They didn't.
Latest blog entry: Steak and Old Timers
Dec 10, 2012, 10:30 PM
Thread OP
Anyone got anything new, maybe something old just didn't want this thread to hit the basement.

Brown Jr 60 ''B'' model 1934 I think.

Bill
Dec 10, 2012, 11:06 PM
Old Timer
The timer would indicate that it is 1939 or later. But the timer looks like it may be newer.
I purchased this one in 1930 ($10 new!). The tank and exhaust stack are not original. I still compete in SAM wit it, in fact it won both the first (1994) SAM Champs Brown Texaco and LER events.
Dec 11, 2012, 02:30 AM
What about this one, what model and year ?
Dec 11, 2012, 02:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinNZ
What about this one, what model and year ?
From what little is visible of the serial number, it seems to be a "D" type, presumably with a ringed piston. Now what year, most probably 1939 or later because of the type of timer.
Dec 11, 2012, 03:54 AM
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
This is mine. S/N is B1091. According to Art Suhr's book, it's one of the second batch made, in Spring 1935.
Compression and bearings are perfect and it seems to have been run very little.
I found it in the seventies, in the North of England, and this post made me realize that I've now owned it for about half its life!
Dec 11, 2012, 09:02 AM
AMA 7224
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinNZ
What about this o. ne, what model and year ?
The timer is the last new one with the bump on the arm and were made1942 to end of regular production. Earlier timers had no bump but otherwise the engine is the same as 1939 model with malleable cast iron crank and die cast aluminium. This is assuming everything is original. Engines were serial #'s 60D00 through 99D00.
Dec 13, 2012, 06:19 PM
Thermals, Tom
Quote:
Originally Posted by California Condor
The timer would indicate that it is 1939 or later. But the timer looks like it may be newer.
I purchased this one in 1930 ($10 new!). The tank and exhaust stack are not original. I still compete in SAM wit it, in fact it won both the first (1994) SAM Champs Brown Texaco and LER events.
Was that with your Rickard?

Belair Kits sent me a kit for one in exchange for using some of my photos (originally yours) on their site. It would make a lot more interesting subject for O&R .23 than a Playboy Jr. or the newly approved B-Bomber
Latest blog entry: Steak and Old Timers
Dec 13, 2012, 06:38 PM
Old Timer
No, it was with my V-Tail Swallow.
Dec 16, 2012, 01:00 AM

Simplex 60inch

At the risk of being repetitive, the attached photo is the stage my Simplex is at. Just have to install the wiring, add a little more trim detail, balance and we're ready to 'heave ho'. At just a little over 12months, this has been a slow build but very enjoyable. Model selected and studying plan for the next project....but must finish this project first! We modellers can't help ourselves can we. Allen
Dec 16, 2012, 01:19 AM
So does this mean it's ready to fire up ....... Sorry though you said you had just wired it up

Colin
Dec 16, 2012, 09:41 AM
Thread OP
Very, very nice Allan......is that an O&R on the nose?

Bill
Dec 16, 2012, 08:27 PM

Simplex

Deleting double post.
Allen
Last edited by Teals1; Dec 16, 2012 at 08:38 PM.
Dec 16, 2012, 08:37 PM

Simplex

Hi Bill,
Yes, an Ohlsson 23 which is in very good condition. Received it through a modelling friend's estate after he passed on - didn't even know he had it tucked away. Great little engine to have in memory of him.
Understand the Simplex is a good flying model despite its simplicity (ie: ugly looks ). I have built it primarily as a testbed for me to become familiar with handling the engine, my first 'sparkie'. Timing lever and fuel needle are all easily accessible.
Merry Christmas, Allen

Quick Reply