Feb 16, 2020, 09:43 AM

ELF mysteries

My copy of John Brown’s excellent book “Dan Calkin and his ELFs” is a presentation copy, inscribed to Maxine (or Nadine ?) Broughton. I can’t find that name in the acknowledgements, any ideas who she is/was ?
In the ELF serial log (p.229 onwards) it says “…a computerised copy of the original ELF log book of engines shipped”. The Serial # of one of my ELFs cross-references as one of several having been shipped to Pouch. Now I don’t go back quite that far, so does anyone on that side of the pond know where a model shop of that name was located ? (I have developed a conspiracy theory that it could be a mis-reading by Optical Character Recognition for Polk’s)
to remove ads between posts
Feb 16, 2020, 10:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofthewings04
My copy of John Brown’s excellent book “Dan Calkin and his ELFs” is a presentation copy, inscribed to Maxine (or Nadine ?) Broughton. I can’t find that name in the acknowledgements, any ideas who she is/was ?
In the ELF serial log (p.229 onwards) it says “…a computerised copy of the original ELF log book of engines shipped”. The Serial # of one of my ELFs cross-references as one of several having been shipped to Pouch. Now I don’t go back quite that far, so does anyone on that side of the pond know where a model shop of that name was located ? (I have developed a conspiracy theory that it could be a mis-reading by Optical Character Recognition for Polk’s)
Actually Polk's was a long time Hobby Shop/Store/Catalogue sales for many decades. That was before the internet or computers even when they started up. They went out of business some decades ago though. But at the time they were one of the biggest hobby stores around.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...es-thier-doors
Last edited by earlwb; Feb 16, 2020 at 10:18 AM. Reason: typo
Feb 16, 2020, 10:21 AM
Ah yes, I knew about Polk's of course; it was the name Pouch that confused me ??
Feb 16, 2020, 11:24 AM
I think you're right, Peter. If several Elfs were shipped to that place, it would have to be to one of the larger dealers, such as Polk's.

I saw Elfs advertised in the ads from the Miniature Aircraft company for a long time, too. Is it possible that the owner was named Pouch?

That would be a strange surname.

Paul
Feb 16, 2020, 12:02 PM
Strange indeed ! That name shows up for 3 ign twins, 18 ign 4's, 2 glow twins and 5 glow 4's. If that's the name of a person, they have a more serious collecting habit than me ! Mind you it is also associated with other names in parentheses, e.g. May's (Pouch), Pryor (Pouch), Pouch (Pfc Storer), and Pouch (Cote). So my conspiracy theory now extends to "Pouch" being the means by which a parcel was sent to e.g. military or diplomatic addresses ? You can tell it's a wet afternoon here in England......
Feb 21, 2020, 10:33 PM
I'd rather be flying.....

Skychief refurbished

All -

Thanks to wy8w , I obtained a parts Skychief with the tank/nva ; timer and the crankshaft useable. Had to soak my piston in ATF for a couple weeks to loosen the stuck piston ring then reassemble. The engine was obtained from a long time friend, so that makes me happy to see it complete.......

Paul - you inspired me to get that Forster .99 done - tonight that made a nice project.. My Forster had a bad piston . Had to change the piston to the parts piston. The parts rod would not fit the crank pin so the crankcase had to be torn down also to accomplish the rod swap. Took that opportunity to lap the mating parts of all castings to a smoother fit. Compression on the finished engine is now decent with a good piston. Thanks again Paul.....

Best regards,

jeff
Last edited by JeffMac; Feb 21, 2020 at 10:34 PM. Reason: sp
Feb 23, 2020, 11:28 AM
Jeff is a good guy- when I traded him the Forster p&c for some Viking twin parts, he was worried that he was getting the better end of the trade. If both parties get something they need, then it's a good trade!

Jeff,
Don't get too aggressive tightening props on that Sky Chief. The prop driver is cast pot metal, and rather brittle. Don't ask me how I know...

Paul
Feb 23, 2020, 12:22 PM

Champion plugs - repairable ?

Among my spare plugs are a few V-3 that have loose central electrodes. A couple pull right out, on two others the brass end contacts rotate. They are getting expensive so I would like to return them to being "users" rather than just in display engines. Does anyone have any experience of using epoxy / super glue to achieve a satisfactory repair ? How were they fixed in place originally ? I also have a V-1 that simply leaks, is that just fit for scrap ?
Feb 23, 2020, 06:25 PM

Elf 4 on ign

Can anyone help with my head-scratching as how to wire-up the ignition ? It's a piped engine, not a goose egg - so has a twin timer rather than a distributor. I do realise the front pair of cylinders fire simultaneously, then the rear pair 180degrees later. To achieve this, the Elf literature calls for 4 single coils or two twin coils (yeah right we all have loads of those kicking-about…). I have 4 identical single coils, but need some advice on making my test rig. Are there any configurations to avoid regarding possible electrical interaction between the coils ? (I have previously run my Elf twin on a twin coil, and my Hurleman twin on two single coils).
Feb 23, 2020, 07:34 PM
Peter,
Here is my take on the subject based on my limited knowledge of inductors from building ham radio gear.

A twin coil is basically two singles wound on a common core. I would pair the two that fire each set of simultaneously firing cylinders end to end as a twin coil is, so that any magnetic lines of force travel in a straight line through both cores as in your third image, but give some space between those pairs side to side to avoid interaction between them.

Paul

PS- I really envy your Elfs! I just bought an OK twin- had to sell some other things to finance it. That's most likely the closest I will ever get to an Elf multi.
Feb 24, 2020, 04:19 AM
Really helpful, thanks -- I should have thought of that ! I'm using Larry coils as they only weigh one ounce each, and my plan is to test run the engine then build a Quaker Flash for it (after all the original plan and kit box state "use any model airplane engine".....). I've only seen one other pic of an Elf 4 in a model, and that's in a "Zipper" featured in the Elf brochure. Looks a bit weird to me.
Feb 24, 2020, 08:26 AM
If a Baby Cyclone could fly a full size Quaker, that Elf should fly a Flash. It would be fantastic to see an Elf actually flying a model as opposed to sitting in a display case! Please show pics when done!
Feb 24, 2020, 11:21 AM
I forgot to add that, if positioned as I suggested, that the polarity of the coils MIGHT be important, so that the magnetism from the pair don't fight each other. It may be worthwhile to try reversing the connections to the primaries of a pair, or to turn one coil around 180 degrees, to see if the engine runs better with one hookup than the other.
Feb 24, 2020, 12:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wy8w
I forgot to add that, if positioned as I suggested, that the polarity of the coils MIGHT be important, so that the magnetism from the pair don't fight each other. It may be worthwhile to try reversing the connections to the primaries of a pair, or to turn one coil around 180 degrees, to see if the engine runs better with one hookup than the other.
And there I was thinking this was straightforward stuff. Mind you I blew all the fuses (in my brain) when looking for info on Google, and got well and truly sidetracked in trying to get my head around flat 4's, boxers, plus Twingle and Big Bang (which would be a good name for a children's' book I reckon).
Feb 24, 2020, 09:42 PM
I'd rather be flying.....
Paul - thanks for the way too kind words...... But yes, I'm very happy that i now have two refurbished engines Thanks to you....

After reassembly and more oiling, the Forster .99 had soft compression and a faint leakage sound. The soap bubble test found considerable leakage from under the spark plug. The copper washer was then lapped gently on the aluminum sanding block, both sides. Shiny copper with no high or low spots was achieved. The Forster then had no leak and a healthier compression feel. Thanks again for those .99 parts - i will test run this engine this year.

Best regards,

jeff
Last edited by JeffMac; Feb 24, 2020 at 09:46 PM. Reason: addtl

Quick Reply