Oct 09, 2019, 01:45 PM
Thermals, Tom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin Stack
That's the genuine originals, as in the blue one shown above - MECOA I think, made repros, but they have a different timer. The genuine ones have the timer as shown on the example in the 3rd photo
Have both
Latest blog entry: Steak and Old Timers
to remove ads between posts
Oct 10, 2019, 02:30 AM
Gluehand,
Think of an car engine running up to 8,00 rpm, fot a hundred thousand miles, firing up to 5 times per event, one of those chips in each injector.

Ross
Oct 10, 2019, 02:46 AM

Why..

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatafish
Thanks for the info and I was wrong on thinking my items were showing up Internationally. I checked with my friend from Australia and my items still don't show up unless he does a different search and it still does not say that I ship Internationally. It still says to contact the seller for shipping.
The often quoted postage prices to Australia are reason I stop buying from some overseas . When postage is offered at 80us$ on a 300$ engine I walk away..
Oct 10, 2019, 11:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborflyer
Gluehand,
Think of an car engine running up to 8,00 rpm, fot a hundred thousand miles, firing up to 5 times per event, one of those chips in each injector.

Ross
Yep....mechanical wear is probably the main limit...!
That problem solved (somehow) might provide us with an ultra-simple and lightweight ignition system....or are there more limitis....? "Charging time" for instance.....how frequent discharges are possible.....?
Oct 10, 2019, 12:23 PM
Quartz crystals are used in communications equipment and computers to determine frequency, and can vibrate at millions of cycles per second. Piezoelectric crystals deform when a voltage is applied, and conversely, generate a pulse of voltage if they are mechanically deformed. I think, for the application that you have in mind, the limit would be temperature, because some small amount of heat is also generated every time the crystal is squeezed.
Oct 11, 2019, 03:37 PM
I'm a balsa butcher
Quote:
Originally Posted by condo
The often quoted postage prices to Australia are reason I stop buying from some overseas . When postage is offered at 80us$ on a 300$ engine I walk away..
That's why I have a US postal address through Australia Post. Only costs $25 to ship to Aus. Also helps with those who say they won't ship out of the US.
Oct 12, 2019, 11:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wy8w
I think, for the application that you have in mind, the limit would be temperature, because some small amount of heat is also generated every time the crystal is squeezed.
Heat.....I didn't think of that factor.....!
If allowed to build up heat, this may well be the limit.
As the "display engine" in the film clip did run at low revs (and not for a long time), we didn't learn much......
Oct 13, 2019, 07:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gluehand
Sparks by bashing a crystal.......sounds so simple....
Lightweight, few components, no battery etc......
Despite these advantages, I can, however, think of an obstacle or two to get over to make this practically useable with "our" engines...
As shown in the film clip below, the method does clearly work, at least in lo-rev contexts, and where a "high mileage" isn't topping the wish list, thus making me wonder if someone, somewhere, has brought this ignition method any further......?
What are the limits...!
What will break first...?

FILM CLIP

They use piezo-electric ignition with various types of lighters and potato cannons. Anyway, the RPM limit is first on the list of limitations for it. You can't go faster than a couple of thousand RPMs at most. Then there is wear on the cam doing the squeezing. It would be like using the old breaker point mechanism from the past. You would have to adjust the cam gap doing the crystal squeezing from time to time. Then of course the crystal could break on you too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piezo_ignition

There have also been a few small model internal combustion engines made that used piezo electric ignition too. These generally used alcohol vapors or fuel vapors or butane or propane in its gaseous form for fuel. Some people have also used the cigarette lighter piezo units to adapt some utility gas engines and air compressors over to internal combustion ignition too.

If I remember right, Reginald has some of these types of engines already too.

ref
Butane Gas Powered Engine - Double Cylinder V2 with Piezo Ignition (2 min 42 sec)

I just saw that you can buy just the piezo ignitor units alone too. These are usually for the gas BBQ grills, but can be easily adapted for other purposes. You don't want to just remove the crystal and set it up in a metal frame. It needs a little bit of give or flex otherwise the crystal crumbles into powder on you.
ref https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw...tric%20igniter
Last edited by earlwb; Oct 13, 2019 at 11:19 AM. Reason: add more info
Oct 13, 2019, 08:43 AM
That's correct Earl and I've still got it. Could be bought as ready to run or in kit form. Mine was a kit. Made by Maier from Berlin. Despite trying several times I could not manage to get the timing right so I sent it to herr Maier and when it returned it did start perfectly. He explained in a letter what I did wrong. Must have that reply somewhere. You open the gas valve a tad and give a light swing on the flywheel and off it goes. Speed is simply adjusted by opening or closing the gas more or less. It is one of my favourite engines and one of the few I kept when selling out my larger engines in the collection. When running full speed it does seem very powerfull but laying a finger on the flywheel has it slowing down immediately. Price was 663£ for the kit.
Oct 13, 2019, 09:44 AM

Another "display engine"

....and here is an engine that doesn't ignite at all.....

This mysterious engine turned up in the Clas Ohlson & Co catalogue of 1944, cryptically advertised as a "spirit engine".
As no one (so far) seems to have memories of it, I suppose that it didn't sell in large numbers.
(Not even the Clas Ohlson historians could find it in their records...)

Not evidently though, but most likely, these engines were manufactured by the "Centra Engineering Co", near ÷stersund, Sweden. This company also manufactured the (ultra-rare) 11.7 cc "Centra" ignition engine, miniature lathes, and much more, .......

Surprisingly, an example of this "spirit engine" turned up - in Germany - a few years go, now owned by a hobby engineer, who built a small number of replicas. (No...I have yet to purchase one...)

By working principle, this is a "vacuum motor", sometimes called "fire-eater".
The motor shown in the film clip is a working replica...

Oct 13, 2019, 06:20 PM
KOTOBUKI 29
"A Japanese engine that is rare in Japan and even harder to find outside of Japan. Made during WW2 or shortly after by Tekkosho Sato in Saitama Prefecture in north west Tokyo. Tekkosho Sato was involved in the manufacture of Hope engines as the first Hope is very similar to the Kotobuki. Engine is in very good condition and complete with original spark plug and working timer. It has good compression but mounting holes have been elongated"

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Kotobuki...4AAOSw-VZdh24D
Oct 23, 2019, 06:05 AM

Everson 29

Hi All,
few days ago I saw an american engine from 1946 circa, Everson 29, very fine. Can you tell me anything about it?
Thank you, ciao from Italy
Ernesto
Oct 23, 2019, 08:29 AM
Selling my Condor Kopper King... this one came from Clarence Lee a long time ago... perfect compression and condition but I guess that the mounts were shaved a bit... any offers ?
Oct 23, 2019, 04:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nernst
Hi All,
few days ago I saw an american engine from 1946 circa, Everson 29, very fine. Can you tell me anything about it?
Thank you, ciao from Italy
Ernesto
Ernesto, look for the "Search this Thread" button at the top of the page, and type in "Everson 29"
Oct 24, 2019, 12:43 AM
Anybody had any experience with the old CANNON 300 engine ? I'm curious to learn about the Strato timer, which replaced the earlier standard fit timer. I know the Strato had more adjustments, but was that the only reason it was fitted ? Was the Strato timer fitted to any other engines or was it made by CANNON ?

Quick Reply