Jun 14, 2011, 03:13 PM
Time for me to Fly...
Man, you guys have some incredable engines in your collections. I only hope one day I have an engine or two that approaches those.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 14, 2011, 03:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by williame3590
Listen guy's....OS engines made a bunch of ignition engines in the 30's and 40's, where are they all is what I would like to know. Have never ever seen one for sale anywhere

Danny.......Twin Stack???? are you hiding them from us??

Bill
Let me help you out of that misery....here are some original OS engines.
Jun 14, 2011, 03:47 PM

OS engines

Picture left : LtoR Re-issue Pixie of 1987, Type-8 Mk1 and Type-8 Mk2
Picture right : Two Type 10's both on original OS mounts
Note that OS also made some spark plugs, scarce as hens teeth.
Jun 14, 2011, 03:56 PM
And here's one that even the OS factory does'nt have in their museum, an FP 60 conversion I made that was 24 carat gold plated
Jun 15, 2011, 02:25 AM
This page comes from the 'Souvenir' booklet published by Gerald in october 1984.
Jun 15, 2011, 03:14 AM
Hi Reginald, the Skylark looks very nice. Have you run any of yours? the Lapwing I have has never run so it would be interesting to know what they are like.
Jun 15, 2011, 04:08 AM
Closed Account
From the 1955 book, "The Complete Book of The Model Aeroplane" by Norman G. Taylor - the large model is a Free-Flight "Envoy". This behemoth is 9 foot wingspan and weighs a mere 11 1/2 lb. Engine is the 15cc "Magpie". Not your average Park Flier ! BOB
Jun 15, 2011, 03:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butchg
Hi Reginald, the Skylark looks very nice. Have you run any of yours? the Lapwing I have has never run so it would be interesting to know what they are like.
No not yet you know with the many engines in the collection and all the work I have'nt found the time but there's no reason why they should'nt run well. The most amazing about the GS engines is their absolute lightness compared with their size, greetz R
Jun 15, 2011, 05:03 PM
Dieselized User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reginald
cox 010 4 -stroke conversion not yet finished
That is a .020 though isn't it?

Greg
Jun 16, 2011, 08:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkamysz
That is a .020 though isn't it?

Greg
You are correct it is a Cox 020 not 010, they do look quite the same on picture and it is a project I did put aside last year. On the pictures there's a moving point from Aero Electric that has to be shortened still. I will finish the engine later this year, greetz R
Jun 17, 2011, 11:11 AM

Rare model of the Super Cyc.

Uh, before I put this on ebay maybe someone would be interested.
This is a Super Cyclone engine believed to have been manufactured in 1940. This is apparently a quite rare example of this famous engine. It is a narrow flange, double plug, series GR. Supposedly the narrow flange engines were all .065s (approx) manufactured in 1939 and 1940 under the designation G. In 1940-41, the designation was changed to GR and the displacement reduced to .60. These engines all had wide cylinder flanges. This engine, however, is a .60 (bore .906) with a narrow cylinder flange and low serial number of 7370. Possibly a first run using existing castings from the G series.
My friend purchased this engine in 1944 or 45 from a local hobby shop. I don't remember if it was new or not. We were kids of course and flew many planes together. Having parents with greater financial resources than mine, my friend had several engines and I remember only two control liners in which the Cyclone was flown. It was installed and run on one brief occasion in a 1930s Dooling race car of mine. The car was never raced for lack of access to a track.
I've had the engine for thirty-one years following my friend's untimely death. I've recently gone through it for a complete cleaning and diagnosis. I then ran it and it runs apparently strong, starting easily.
It is, however, not a new, out-of-the-box virgin. It's seen some action, been modified and unmodified. The fuel tank and timer arm are new reproduction items, most everything else is original to this engine. The main bearing clearance is .0015". The cylinder has a barely discernible ridge and still measures to the .001" reverse taper that Mel Anderson was known for. The con rod has shown the most wear to a clearance of about .003".
I'm asking $300.00 and it's being sold with two original Champion spark plugs and original Nathan Smith dual terminal ignition coil included. These items alone are probably worth $100.
hyedickinson@comcast.net
Jun 18, 2011, 01:25 AM
Here's another Gerald Smith Magpie watercooled this one
Jun 18, 2011, 11:41 PM
Closed Account

Prehistoric Engine Control

Back when most sparkies were rear induction (sideport) this was a crude attempt at throttling down an engine. BOB
Jun 24, 2011, 08:22 PM
Time for me to Fly...
Well, it's more than just an ignition engine treasure. I'm feeling the urge for my engine collecting to expand into this area. Any one else here collect tether cars?
Jun 24, 2011, 08:48 PM
Thread OP
Good luck with that Whiz........your pockets must be a yard deep.

Bill

Quick Reply