Nov 14, 2015, 03:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nernst View Post
Hi All!
I'd like to bench run some old spark engines as Pacemaker 59, Fleetwind, Ohlsson, then fly with some old timer model. I read that green unleaded gasoline contains ethanol and benzene, but AvGas 100LL and AvGas UL91 no. In your opinion is it better these avio gasoline for old spark engines, or other fuel?
In my larger spark ignition engines I use regular unleaded gasoline mixed 3:1 with racing motorcycle oil (SAE70). I have several Pacemakers and they all run well on that mix, but they are very noisy engines !!
to remove ads between posts
Nov 14, 2015, 04:32 AM
Sabre250, Reginald and Lordofthewings04,
many thanks for your answers! I have got mineral oil SAE 70 Maxima V-TWIN for Harley motorcycle, I think ok. Here my Pacemaker 59, i have also Fleetwind E-60, E-1 and E-2, Two OK Super 60, Ohlsson Custom, Atwood Champion H, I love these engine and I want to fly!
Nov 14, 2015, 06:13 AM
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
Hi Ernesto,
I run a lot of spark engines. I'm going to run a few this afternoon...
I use just ordinary pump gas from the filling station, with Castrol M, which is castor treated to be miscible with gas. Mixed 3 to 1 this gives excellent results.
As you're asking questions, you probably don't have any Castrol M, and normal castor may not mix with gas.
In this case, the best solution I've found is to use pump gas with a good synthetic 2-stroke competition oil, sold in hypermarkets for 2-stroke motocross bikes, etc. I also use this mixture.

In any case, all these fuel mixes are not very critical (so everyone is right!) and, irrespective of personal preferences, if you mix pump gas with just about any good automotive oil, you will get a good result.

I recommend avoiding exotic solutions, just use standard stuff that is easily available for you. i.e. pump gas, with 25% of any good oil (the heaviest grade that is easily available) or the 2-stroke motocross oils...
Over the years, I've used various different automotive engine oils, and they all worked OK!
Nov 14, 2015, 06:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenenglish View Post
Hi Ernesto,
I run a lot of spark engines. I'm going to run a few this afternoon...
I use just ordinary pump gas from the filling station, with Castrol M, which is castor treated to be miscible with gas. Mixed 3 to 1 this gives excellent results.
As you're asking questions, you probably don't have any Castrol M, and normal castor may not mix with gas.
In this case, the best solution I've found is to use pump gas with a good synthetic 2-stroke competition oil, sold in hypermarkets for 2-stroke motocross bikes, etc. I also use this mixture.

In any case, all these fuel mixes are not very critical (so everyone is right!) and, irrespective of personal preferences, if you mix pump gas with just about any good automotive oil, you will get a good result.

I recommend avoiding exotic solutions, just use standard stuff that is easily available for you. i.e. pump gas, with 25% of any good oil (the heaviest grade that is easily available) or the 2-stroke motocross oils...
Over the years, I've used various different automotive engine oils, and they all worked OK!
Thank you for advice, it is better using pump gas, easily available. Ciao from Italy!
Nov 15, 2015, 05:52 PM
Everyone has their own favorite mix and they all work. I have tried most everythng and settled on Coleman Fuel and standard 2 stroke fuel from walmart. It seems to run cooler and is much easier to clean up. After hours of running I see no extra wear. Gasoline works fine with it also, but Coleman fuel is extremely clean. This mix also seems to keep plugs cleaner than the heavy weights.
Nov 15, 2015, 06:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Kraft View Post
Everyone has their own favorite mix and they all work. I have tried most everythng and settled on Coleman Fuel and standard 2 stroke fuel from walmart. It seems to run cooler and is much easier to clean up. After hours of running I see no extra wear. Gasoline works fine with it also, but Coleman fuel is extremely clean. This mix also seems to keep plugs cleaner than the heavy weights.
Thank you for advice! I hope to find Coleman fuel here in Italy, or similar, I'd like to try this too.
Ciao
Ernesto
Nov 16, 2015, 03:37 AM
Quote:
Thank you for advice! I hope to find Coleman fuel here in Italy, or similar, I'd like to try this too.
Ciao
Ernesto
It is sold in camping material stores.. it is used in stoves and lighting apparel used by campers
Nov 17, 2015, 10:09 AM
Thermals, Tom
Pump gas contains additives you may not want. A little alcohol will destroy your plastic tanks
Latest blog entry: Steak and Old Timers
Nov 17, 2015, 10:43 AM
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
Tom, there are still a few good things in Europe, and one of them is that the gas is clearly labeled at the pumps. We have gas containing ethanol, which is clearly labeled e5 or e10 (the ethanol percentage) but, in parallel, you can also get unleaded 95 octane, which is exactly that, and it's what I use.
In any case, the ethanol is obviously no problem if you just take care not to use a plastic tank.
Nov 17, 2015, 11:58 PM
Hi Gang,

I'm in need of a crankshaft for Brown Junior, in usable condition. It's for a restoration of a very rare Australian 10cc Winner, which is essentially a copy of the 1935 Brown engine. I'd really like to bring this one back to life ,as it is one of only two known remaining examples.
Nov 19, 2015, 01:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanNX211 View Post
Pump gas contains additives you may not want. A little alcohol will destroy your plastic tanks
Thank you for answer, I am also worried about that..
Nov 19, 2015, 03:46 PM
Hi All!
I'd like to know history of Orr 65 engine and his designer Wilfred Orr. I know that there is an article of Evan Towne on Engine Collector's Journal, April 1994 pag 6-7-8, "The Orr .65 Story". Can you tell me how can I get this?
Thank you, ciao a tutti!
Ernesto
Nov 20, 2015, 04:52 PM
Quote:
Hi All!
I'd like to know history of Orr 65 engine and his designer Wilfred Orr. I know that there is an article of Evan Towne on Engine Collector's Journal, April 1994 pag 6-7-8, "The Orr .65 Story". Can you tell me how can I get this?
Thank you, ciao a tutti!
Ernesto
Hi Ernesto,

The ECJ is still published by Tim and Betty Dannels and we are very lucky to have this journal available. Contact Tim and he will sell you the issue/s you want, or better still subscribe.

<www.modelenginecollecting.com>

regards
sabre250
Nov 20, 2015, 05:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabre250 View Post
Hi Ernesto,

The ECJ is still published by Tim and Betty Dannels and we are very lucky to have this journal available. Contact Tim and he will sell you the issue/s you want, or better still subscribe.

<www.modelenginecollecting.com>

regards
sabre250
Hi David,
thank you for advice! Unfortunately the ECJ # 110 , April 1994 with Orr 65 Story is no longer available from Tim.
Thank you anyway, ciao from Sicily!
Ernesto
Nov 21, 2015, 02:38 AM
Here you go. Courtesy ECJ I am sure Tim wo'nt mind since the issue is no longer available

Quick Reply