Thread Tools
Jun 22, 2015, 01:27 PM
Registered User
Reginald's Avatar
MAN ad from 1947
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Jun 22, 2015, 02:15 PM
Registered User
earlwb's Avatar
That H&H is pretty neat.
I like the glow plug element. Classic basic setup. Plus it is replaceable. But then where does one get platinum wire at?
Jun 22, 2015, 02:31 PM
Registered User
Reginald's Avatar
nowadays a goldsmith could pull such a thin platinum wire like they do with gold wire but it must have been a hassle then ? guess H&H could supply them ? would be interesting to find some information about that.....
Jun 22, 2015, 04:37 PM
Registered User
williame3590's Avatar
Thread OP
Got a few of those H&H engines, there cool!

Bill
Jun 22, 2015, 04:38 PM
1234567
flyinglog's Avatar
You could ask the Controlline Speed guys. it is still common to "rewire" the plugs

Best regards, Sebastian
Jun 22, 2015, 04:59 PM
Newbee

re


I've got a few early prototypes also, Howie actually patented the "glow plug" in 1937.
Barry
Jun 22, 2015, 06:41 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by nernst View Post
Hi All!
I saw in these days the engines made by Kencraft Company, KEN 60, and KEN .610 Racing, very interesting , and I'd like to know more about Company, engineers and a little " history" of these engines. Thank you, ciao from Sicily!!
Ernesto
Ernesto, there seems to be very little printed information on the KEN engines. According to the A.M.E.E. they were made by a Ken Wade from Garden Grove in California, company name KENCRAFT. The only other source of information that I know of, was printed in the SAM SPEAKS magazine (#155, Sept.- Oct. 2000) when Charlie Bruce did an analysis of the KEN .610. All we need is for some kind gentleman with a collection of SAM SPEAKS magazines to scan and post that article.............
It's also highly probable that the KEN engines would have been covered in the MECA Engine Collectors Journals, but I can't help you there sorry
Jun 23, 2015, 01:35 AM
Registered User
Reginald's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakariki View Post
I've got a few early prototypes also, Howie actually patented the "glow plug" in 1937.
Barry
wow now that's a whole lot of them ! took me very long to find just one ... !
Jun 23, 2015, 05:49 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin Stack View Post
Ernesto, there seems to be very little printed information on the KEN engines. According to the A.M.E.E. they were made by a Ken Wade from Garden Grove in California, company name KENCRAFT. The only other source of information that I know of, was printed in the SAM SPEAKS magazine (#155, Sept.- Oct. 2000) when Charlie Bruce did an analysis of the KEN .610. All we need is for some kind gentleman with a collection of SAM SPEAKS magazines to scan and post that article.............
It's also highly probable that the KEN engines would have been covered in the MECA Engine Collectors Journals, but I can't help you there sorry
Many thanks for your information, it helps me! Now hope some kind gentleman with SAM SPEAKS #155.....
Thank you again, ciao
Ernesto
Last edited by nernst; Jun 23, 2015 at 05:50 AM. Reason: text variation
Jun 23, 2015, 12:08 PM
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
brokenenglish's Avatar
Ernesto, I have SS 155. I'll scan and post the Ken 60 review tomorrow, if someone else hasn't done it first.
I might try to do a running video, it's a nice engine.

Also, to be fair, it's worth mentioning that what Bob refers to as the MECA ECJ, is actually Tim Dannel's fantastic personal initiative for the last 50 years... Wow!
I don't think it's directly related to MECA.
Jun 24, 2015, 01:18 AM
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
brokenenglish's Avatar
OK, Here's Charlie Bruce's review of the Ken 60.
Like most of Charlie's reviews, it's more an expert engineering analysis of the engine construction, and disassembly and reassembly techniques, than just simply running and playing with engines. Fortunately we now have video for that.
The rpm readings obtained are respectable, without being exceptional in any way, but they are very nice looking engines.
Jun 24, 2015, 01:36 AM
Registered User
Thanks for that Brian, and I didn't know that the KEN had a Westbury KESTREL type induction system ! BOB
(the photo below shows a dismantled KEN and the induction aperture in the crankweb is just visible)
Last edited by Twin Stack; Jul 15, 2015 at 12:17 AM.
Jun 24, 2015, 02:14 AM
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
brokenenglish's Avatar
Yeah, I met Charlie, at Old Warden in the late eighties. He was visiting with Bert Striegler. We had a long talk about American sparkers, but Charlie was also very interested in stuff like Mills and Micron. Happy Days...
Jun 24, 2015, 06:08 AM
Registered User
Back in 2012 I rebuilt a Ken 60 which had a piston with a broken baffle. It was an impressive looking engine, with polished castings and a complex induction system, as described in Charlie Bruce's article.
The Ken vibrated if pushed over 9000 and was no better in this regard than an OK Super 60. Though in good mechanical condition, this example was certainly not as powerful as an Orwick or an Anderson.
The induction system will be readily seen in the following shots. I doubt the impeller contributed anything other than complexity and was used primarily to enhance sales appeal, differentiating the Ken from ordinary engines which did not have a 'supercharger'!

sabre250
Jun 24, 2015, 02:54 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenenglish View Post
Ernesto, I have SS 155. I'll scan and post the Ken 60 review tomorrow, if someone else hasn't done it first.
I might try to do a running video, it's a nice engine.

Also, to be fair, it's worth mentioning that what Bob refers to as the MECA ECJ, is actually Tim Dannel's fantastic personal initiative for the last 50 years... Wow!
I don't think it's directly related to MECA.
Fine! Great! Thank you very very much, I can see your kind post only now. I will read the Ken 60 and I will tell you. Ciao!!! Ernesto


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sold CRRC-PRO Ignition NIB never used 45.00 anwalker Aircraft - Fuel - Engines and Accessories (FS/W) 2 Nov 07, 2010 07:32 PM
Sold OS Max FS-61 Four Stroke W/Electronic Ignition Conversion stevster Aircraft - Fuel - Engines and Accessories (FS/W) 0 Nov 06, 2010 11:44 PM
Sold Saito G60 Marine, vintage gas ignition, NIB Kmot Aircraft - Fuel - Engines and Accessories (FS/W) 4 Oct 29, 2010 07:47 PM
Cool Early Slope History Treasures Unearthed Paul Naton Slope 7 Jun 11, 2008 09:30 PM