This thread is privately moderated by C Robinson, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Nov 16, 2010, 12:24 AM
Thread OP
Build Log

Sunrise DLG scratch build - part 1

It feels so good to be back into scratch building after several years away from this hobby! Because the process is so rewarding, I thought I would post the results of my latest/ongoing efforts and encourage anyone interested to give it a try!

This build started as pencil lines on paper (with several revisions) and took 22 months from start to finish. It is just amazing how much time it takes to get through all of the tooling set up, plugs, moulds, lay-up testing etc. before all of the parts come together and fly!
In the end, the process is well worth the effort and is very satisfying.
I could not be happier with the way it flys and I am close to getting parts done for plane #2 and #3!

Many steps and details are left out here. I would love to help anyone undertaking a similar project that may have questions or need additional info. Please feel free to contact me anytime!

Sincerely,
Craig
Last edited by C Robinson; Nov 16, 2010 at 08:27 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 16, 2010, 12:31 AM
That is some envyably fine work!
Nov 23, 2010, 10:34 AM
Make Flying Fun
Great job Craig, I can attest to the fit and finish of the Sunrise fuse and boom, both excellent in workmanship and functionality. Kudos !
I own one of the fuses and booms with a Taboo wing and my own tails which flew great! Presently updating to some new feathers for next season!
Nov 23, 2010, 02:55 PM
Thread OP
Thanks LAdams & Kevin for posting the positive comments!

Kevin, Good to hear you were able to get a plane together using those parts. I often wondered how they worked out for you. Looks like you had very good contest results last season!

This hobby can be both challenging and rewarding in so many ways!
Feb 13, 2011, 09:10 AM
Hi,

Nice !
Do you used a balloon for the molding of this pod ?

Olivier
Mar 01, 2011, 01:10 PM
Thread OP
Thanks Olivier,
The pod is laid up as a typical overlap wet seam, joined in the mold. The bladder or balloon process could be added but I have not tried it yet. The molds would need to be back filled with sand to handle the pressure. Having made 8 pods to date, results are pretty good without a bladder but I am getting occasional small air pockets at the seam line. A one piece fuselage mould and bladder will be the next revision to tackle after this flying season.

btw; Your build looks great! Thanks for posting.

Craig
Mar 27, 2011, 06:18 AM
Hi Craig,

Thanks for your answer.
I have built now 3 personnal model (pod and boom) and I already think also about a one piece fuse.
Pod and boom are finally time consumming I think, just because there are a lot of piece to add; wing mounting, bulkhead, stab pylon,..

With a one piece fuse, everything (almost) is done during molding.
I will continue this year with pod and boom, but maybe next year I will design a one piece fuse (or should I say next winter, my favorite building time)

Olivier

Quick Reply