Nov 16, 2010, 12:11 AM
Scott R/C Time Pilot
Thread OP
Build Log

2011 Build Off - Reg Truman Top Hat vintage Kiwi O-T Done!

Building a Reg Truman Top Hat

A 50" span Half A Texaco ship designed by Reg Truman and is a miniature version of Reg's RC-1 radio controlled ship designed in 1939.

Also this is for the 2011 vintage and Old-Time build off

Scott
Last edited by orange&white; Oct 17, 2011 at 05:57 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 16, 2010, 01:34 AM
Hi Scott. I have seen Reg Truman fly the Top Hat some years ago. It was at the glider airfield were he flew full size glider tugs. It flys very well.
Nov 16, 2010, 10:24 AM
If the winds blowin, I'm goin!
Scott, I like it, I like it a lot!! Where did you get the plans?
I still haven't picked my entry yet, mine might not get started till early next year, and I need to finish my Powerhouse, and I have a Playboy that's probably going on the board next...
Cash
Nov 16, 2010, 11:13 AM
Cool! It looks like hot rod with that low profile.

Al
Nov 16, 2010, 03:10 PM
Scott R/C Time Pilot
Thread OP
Thanks Colin, they say Reg was a good modeler and great guy.

Hi Cash, the plans came from Allen Teals from NZ, he knew Reg Truman and he has Reg's RC-1 1939 r/c model. The Top Hat is a smaller version for 1/2A Texaco.

Owlsabie, it does look like a hot rod chop top doesn't it

Scott
Nov 17, 2010, 03:01 AM
Scott R/C Time Pilot
Thread OP
The second main wing panel is done, I now have to build the wing tips and wing joiners

Scott
Last edited by orange&white; Nov 17, 2010 at 04:50 AM.
Nov 28, 2010, 05:38 AM
So, how's the build going? Or have you at last had some decent flying weather?

Al
Nov 29, 2010, 04:06 PM

Top Hat

Hi Scott,

Nice to have a look through your build thread. Progress is slowly moving forward I see.
Here's the picture of Reg's original Top Hat plus the other two Truman Specials which I have just received into my collection. One of the Truman Specials has historical significance as it won a NZ national Texaco event in the very early years.
Kind regards
Allen
Nov 29, 2010, 05:18 PM
Hi Allen. If that is Reg's first Top Hat it could be the same one that I saw flying at Drury airfield some years ago. Also remember seeing another large pylon model hanging in his garage, maybe one of his specials. I'm away until Saturday.

Colin.
Nov 29, 2010, 07:35 PM
Scott R/C Time Pilot
Thread OP
Really good pictures Allen, thanks. Seeing the photo of the original Top Hat has got the building bug going again I am going to cover it with 1.5 mil doculam and colored tissue.

Scott
Nov 29, 2010, 08:16 PM

Top Hat

Hi Colin, Yes, that would be the same model that Reg flew. I believe Ken Nightingale has built and flown a Top Hat as well.

Scott, have heard about the doculam/tissue covering. Have never tried it but understand that it is very strong - resistant to puncture.

Allen
Dec 11, 2010, 05:56 AM
Scott R/C Time Pilot
Thread OP
Well it's been a while since I did anything on the Top Hat

I have had a real bugger of a time building the wing tip panels. Three times I tried building the tip, three times I was foiled The under camber on the ribs makes a short, tapered panel that is a to build and keep it straight.

I finally built two good tip panels and made the tip joiners out of 1/16 ply.

I also made a center wing joiner out of 1/16 ply and carbon fiber .

The wing still needs joining and top sheeting, then a good sanding

Building the fuselage and tail should be a piece of cake

Scott

A reminder to 2011 build off entree's and those who want to enter the 2011 build off, there is plenty of time to choose a plane and start those Build logs
Dec 11, 2010, 10:49 AM
Hats off to you Scott! I normally just cheat and use a flat sheet

Al
Dec 13, 2010, 01:34 AM
Full marks for your persistence Scott. You'll end up with a good flyer in the end! What with Christmas looming, weddings, etc, I have done little if anything at the building bench. Kind regards and may all your modeling desires appear in long boxes under the tree!
Allen
Dec 17, 2010, 06:22 PM

Build off

Was visiting the closed build off site and had to make some comments:

Adamtc - you mentioned about a 2x sized Tomboy - been there, done that! Attached are the pictures of its evolution running down from first to last. The red/white was a 72inch model flew well but ran into trouble....well let's not go there!
The green/white was a lovely flier - reduced dihedral with ailerons. Flew into fence once when someone switched on their radio on the same frequency. Was resurrected only to be destroyed when I inadvertently took off with reversed ailerons - Oh well, we learn from our mistakes....hopefully!
The final yellow version was also a great flier and flew for many years. This was an 80 inch wing span. Eventually met its demise when radio transmitter switch failed and I lost all control.

Owlsabie - Hear you're building a Tomboy. Would like finished photos with details of weight, engine, covering material,etc. I have a powerpoint just of Tomboys from around the world. Why? I hear you ask. Well, because I didn't know I couldn't .......and I do like Tomboys!

I have a link on the new 'build off' site to my entry here in NZ - a Heron Gas Buggy 1939 design.

Have a great Christmas guys. Allen
Last edited by Teals1; Dec 19, 2010 at 05:49 PM.

Quick Reply