This thread is privately moderated by Sandancer, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Nov 15, 2010, 11:51 PM
"Auntie Samantha"
Thread OP
Build Log

F4U Corsair: The Electronics

After completing the Flaps and the 1-Piece wing mods I proceeded to get started on the wiring, and getting the electronics located where I wanted them.

Because of the cramped quarters in the cockpit, I thought that nifty recessed box in the wings was a perfect place to install the LG sequencer and the Landers Nav Light Controller. This worked out great as I was able to combine both the aileron and flap leads into 1 which only took up 6 of the 14 pins on the 14-Pin multiplex connector I was going to use. I then combined both the B and C leads for both of the LG assemblies to the sequencer thus eliminating another set of Y-Connectors. I then ran the sequencer lead to 3 more pins on the multiplex. The switched lead for the Landers Controller took up 3 more pins, and that left me 2 pins to hook up leads to the tail light. The leads for the landing light will come up thru the cavity just behind the box and run directly to the controller.

The multiplex connector comes up thru the opening in the fuse, and plugs into the RX already mounted in the cockpit. WaaLaa, no Y-harnesses and annoying excess wiring hanging around and cluttering up the cockpit! It looks like the only 2 Y-connectors I will need is the one combining the rudder and tail wheel steering servos to the RX, and the other to combine the tail wheel to the LG lead. That will work fine as they'll be tucked away somewhere in the tail.

This plane is fast becoming my favorite!

UP-DATE 11/28/2010:
I found a really excellent location for the ESC! When I did the Hatch mod I discovered a hidden compartment right above the battery bay. The Moxie 85A Comp ESC fit perfectly in there, so now all I needed to do was figure a way to get the leads to the motor from that compartment?

Because access to that area was next to impossible from the cockpit, I decided to try my luck and hopefully hit it with a pilot bit from the firewall side. I hit it the very first time, so after I finished my "Happy Dance", I got the hot knife heated up and began enlarging the hole. What I ended up with was a very nice opening for the ESC/Motor leads right into the motor compartment, plus a nice size hole to vent air into the new ESC bay, much like the configuration FMS did with the Jug.

Again, you won't have access to that little compartment unless you do the Hatch mod.
Last edited by Sandancer; Aug 23, 2012 at 07:55 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 10, 2011, 03:02 PM
Official Boat Bum
Very nice and tidy setup. For me, I used to leave the heavy mods for my scratch abd kit building projects. But in this case, it seems every single mod you have made to this "RFT" Corsair will make owning and operating it much more pleasant. Your solutions are all efficient and creative. Hats off to you. And I may have to copy some of your ideas on one of my own soon
May 28, 2011, 10:45 AM
I ditto Eddie P's remarks. Just got my FMS Corsair and will be doing many of the mods you already have. Thanks for pioneering!

Quick Reply