Just bought GWS Tiger Moth - RC Groups
Oct 07, 2001, 10:29 PM

Just bought GWS Tiger Moth

Hi, looks cute, had to have one after seeing some fly at Concord contest last Sun.

Anything to watch out for???

Dave
to remove ads between posts
Oct 07, 2001, 10:41 PM
The kit works pretty well right out of the box.

Some things that I'd recommend include:

- The GWS glue is O.K. but I'd recommend staying with two part epoxy.
- Don't bother with the double sided tape for the lower wing dihedrel support. Rough up the surface of the plastic and bond it to the lower wing with epoxy.
- Don't bother with the double stick tape for the upper wing either. It doesn't fit like GWS intended and doesn't seem to be needed.
- I'd cut the rudder and elevator seams and use hinge tape for freedom of movement.
- Consider widening the battery slot to accomodate larger batteries before you bond the fuse. I find the 150mah Nicad works nicely for stunts. I use a 700mah NiMh for ~30 minute flights. Both fit in the wider slot and are held nicely by vercro.
- The stock prop is a little weak at the hub. Buy a few extras.
- Go search the Slow Flyer forum for "Tiger" and "TM" to see a number of mods.

Have fun! Nice slow flyer! Jim C.
Oct 07, 2001, 11:07 PM
Thanks Jim
Oct 07, 2001, 11:11 PM
Dave, there is a ton of good advice in the Slow Flyers section. Just do a search in Slow Flyers for Tiger Moth and prepare to be overwhelmed! All of the GWS TM messages are in Slow Flyers rather than Foamies.
Oct 07, 2001, 11:43 PM
dave w
The tigermoth is a great little airplane. I fly mine more than anything else I own. I did some mods to mine and they are on a simple website along with pics and even a couple of videos
http://www.geocities.com/mkaarlela/index.html
Oct 08, 2001, 01:09 AM
A Few Sandwiches Shy
Dave- did lots of mods on mine.

Flying wires, built up cockpit sides, windscreens, gear fairings

Pics at http://community.webshots.com/user/robertmason

Rob
Oct 08, 2001, 09:45 AM

Tiger Moth mods

I used .061 music wire for the landing gear (about an inch longer than the kit) with Trexler air wheels. This works much better than the weak landing gear wire in the kit and only adds a couple of grams to the weight. I also made and exhaust pipe from plastic tubing for the cowl.
Oct 08, 2001, 12:49 PM
Thanks for all the ideas and contstruction hints
guys!

I'm off to check the Slow flyer section!

Dave
Oct 08, 2001, 08:52 PM
Angering mobs since 1980.
I got to see a GWS Tiger Moth fly today. Super little Bipe! Recommended as a nice stable slow flyer!

-Mike N
Twmaster
Oct 09, 2001, 04:46 AM
NaTaLiEs aLL mInE
Quote:
I'm off to check the Slow flyer section!
what slow flyer section? lol