Jul 19, 2019, 08:55 AM
Dear readers, I tried to go through all the pages but at one stage it was too much...

So here's my question:

I want to install crow on my Ph-1600 but...

The flap servo's only travel 45-60 degrees... I use HXT900's. I cant get the flaps to go down fully.

I tried:
- using the top hole on the servo arm and the bottom hole on the flaphorn
- installing the servo arm angled more towards the flaphorn
- reversing the flap horn
None worked.

So I checked my transmitter (Graupner MX16 Hott) to increase servo travel but when I increase travel to 150% I don't see anything happening. I'm using one channel (6) and a Y-harness for flaps.

Can someone please help? I really need them flaps to "git dawn"...
to remove ads between posts
Jul 19, 2019, 10:22 AM
DS will change your life
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary27
Dear readers, I tried to go through all the pages but at one stage it was too much...

So here's my question:

I want to install crow on my Ph-1600 but...

The flap servo's only travel 45-60 degrees... I use HXT900's. I cant get the flaps to go down fully.

I tried:
- using the top hole on the servo arm and the bottom hole on the flaphorn
- installing the servo arm angled more towards the flaphorn
- reversing the flap horn
None worked.

So I checked my transmitter (Graupner MX16 Hott) to increase servo travel but when I increase travel to 150% I don't see anything happening. I'm using one channel (6) and a Y-harness for flaps.

Can someone please help? I really need them flaps to "git dawn"...
Try to look at the monitor on your TX, You have to have full movement on the servo.
And when the flaps are up the servohorn must point backwards toward the flaps.....and the servo are almost max out in this direction...
So it’s not like elevator where the servo are in neutral when the surface are in neutral.

But first you have to check the Movement on the monitor screen

Good luck
Soren
Last edited by SpeedsterDEN; Jul 19, 2019 at 10:35 AM.
Jul 20, 2019, 05:52 AM
Hi, ty for the reply!
No luck though...
Yes the servo horn is pointed towards the flap but Im still not getting them fully down.

My Tx servo screen says the servo output is 150% when I flip the crow switch. Isnt that strange, since the programmed output is at default (100%)? Im using a Graupner MX16 Hott..
Jul 20, 2019, 05:54 AM
I wish i could use the Phoenix 1600 top bolt plate on the 2000 wings ..it looks like a much better system than the old 2000 wich was constantly breaking and tearing away...
Jul 20, 2019, 08:08 PM
Fly Fly Fly Crash
I have had 4 phoenix 2000's and have had my 1600 for 8 months. I fly it with a 1800 3 cell. No over heating problems. My friend just bought a 1600 and is using the same battery as I am. On his second flight of about 5 minutes he used the motor quite a bit, but let it glide some too. When he landed the motor was smoking hot. It wouldn't even run anymore. My question is , did they change to a smaller motor or go with the bigger props from the 2000/?Why does his overheat and mine doesn't?
I also put a 10" ribbon spar on the bottom of the wing. This really made the wing stronger and stiffer.
Jul 21, 2019, 10:09 AM
DS will change your life
Quote:
Hi, ty for the reply!
No luck though...
Yes the servo horn is pointed towards the flap but Im still not getting them fully down.

My Tx servo screen says the servo output is 150% when I flip the crow switch. Isnt that strange, since the programmed output is at default (100%)? Im using a Graupner MX16 Hott..
Yes, and it should also say 150 % the other direction… before you flip the switch, in this way you use all the servo movement.
I will bet that you start from the servo neutral point,

Soren
Jul 21, 2019, 12:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedsterDEN
Yes, and it should also say 150 % the other direction… before you flip the switch, in this way you use all the servo movement.
I will bet that you start from the servo neutral point,

Soren
Yeah thats right lol...
So I should shift the neutral point on the servo?
Jul 21, 2019, 09:05 PM
RC Airplane (Recently Crashed)
Quote:
Yeah thats right lol...
Basically yes. But what you actually do is set the flap to be 'neutral' at the servos near full travel in that direction. It depends on your radio and hinge but sometimes we may want full length ailerons as well as Crow.

just do a bit more reading up ... you will get there.
Jul 22, 2019, 01:41 AM
DS will change your life
Quote:
Yeah thats right lol...

Yes, so when the monitor screen show neutral point then the flaps shall be around 30 % down.
If you have this, then you can also have a bit up flaps when using full span ailerons

Phoenix 2000, Aerobatic set up. (2 min 43 sec)

Phoenix 2000 on the slope. (2 min 35 sec)

Good luck
Soren
Jul 22, 2019, 09:04 AM
Well, Im not going aerobatic (yet).

I changed the neutral point and I get a lot more down but still not as much as the guy in the video. I dont know if its my Tx, the servos or the linkage of the servos and the rudder horn (although I tried all combinations > that being said: the servos have a limited travel range and I think that that range is being used up to a 150% on the flaps). I think I'll leave it this way.

And for one thing: the left aileron servo (at default) gives a lot more output than the other aileron and flap servo's. Is it because its mounted mirrored?

Thank you for all your input!
Jul 23, 2019, 03:31 AM
I never got results from this using snapflap or reflex.. i did using camber..and 4 ailerons roll were not that effective.. as it drags too much and loses much more speed
Jul 23, 2019, 07:37 AM
Quote:
And for one thing: the left aileron servo (at default) gives a lot more output than the other aileron and flap servo's. Is it because its mounted mirrored?
No this is not correct. It should be no different. Can you video this or put up pictures?
It may be where or how the servo is sitting compared to the other or the lengths of the horns, or control rods are not identical

What servos are you using?
What transmitter are you using?
(can you possibly use a channel per flap?)
Jul 23, 2019, 07:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLT_GTI
I never got results from this using snapflap or reflex.. i did using camber..and 4 ailerons roll were not that effective.. as it drags too much and loses much more speed
You really have to tune your full length ailerons until it works for the air frame I recall my flaps were less than 50% of the ailerons in travel as far as I can remember. I didn't use snapflap or reflex either.
Jul 24, 2019, 03:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutha
You really have to tune your full length ailerons until it works for the air frame I recall my flaps were less than 50% of the ailerons in travel as far as I can remember. I didn't use snapflap or reflex either.
I did that.. as a general rule glider usually have the inner surfaces do about 50% of the outer travels.. but even so it wasnt worth it in my experience.. of course it was worth it in high lift conditions wich also required to ballast the plane in order for it to have penetration
Jul 25, 2019, 12:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutha
No this is not correct. It should be no different. Can you video this or put up pictures?
It may be where or how the servo is sitting compared to the other or the lengths of the horns, or control rods are not identical

What servos are you using?
What transmitter are you using?
(can you possibly use a channel per flap?)
Here are the pics.
Im using a Graupner MX16 Hott with HXT900’s
I cant use a channel per flap (6ch Rx), Im using a channel per aileron.

How can I upload video from my phone? Is it only possible through a YouTube link?

Quick Reply