Jul 28, 2016, 06:31 PM
Chasin' that Neon Rainbow
I mentioned a while back that I was getting some Graphene batteries.
I bought 2 x 1300 65C and 1 x 1500 65C.
I highly recommend these batteries. I use them all the time instead of the 2200 packs I had been using.
More expensive but worth it.
I easily get 3 full height climbs and unlimited soaring on one 1300 pack. They are lighter and the glider performs better for that reason alone.
I haven't had the 1500 pack long but it is really ideal for the Phoenix. It is quite slim and packs a punch and is cheaper than the 1300 packs for some reason. Same C rating.
I also use the 1300s in my Radian. Brilliant!

1300 pack

1500 pack

In fact I am so excited about these batteries I just ordered another 1500 pack. I shouldn't have looked at them today.... LOL
Last edited by Grantham Kid; Jul 28, 2016 at 06:41 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 07, 2016, 05:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grantham Kid View Post
A couple of pics and Specs

My motor at full power draws 26.5 Amps, 312 Watts. I use a 30 Amp ESC but I have a BEC for all the gear.

The prop. (I forgot I changed it) is a hy 11x6 folder from Hobby King. The combo works very well.

I fitted a alloy plate to the front of the fuse.

The motor

Hi,

What about the motor mount inside the fuselage.
Did you use the wooden plate or the black plastic? or something else?
Aug 07, 2016, 06:41 AM
No mount in there. Never needed it with any of the 5 motors I have tried. If you look at the picture in THIS POST you will see I made an alloy plate for the front of the bulkhead that acts as a sink very well via the screws and the air keeps the plate /plastic cool. Not that the motor runs hot enough to do any damage anyway.
I also have a telemetry temperature sensor into my ESC now amongst other things.
Just upgraded to a 45 Amp ESC with a 4 Amp built in SBEC and have removed the onboard BEC as I have changed radio systems in that glider.
Last edited by Grantham Kid; Aug 07, 2016 at 06:47 AM.
Aug 08, 2016, 09:53 AM
Grantham Kid - thank you.

I noticed that you didn't add fiberglass & epoxy on the front before you settle the Alloy plate. Do you think the fiberglass useless? Or will you recommend to add it for the new builders like me?
Should I afraid the ABS will fall apart when I flying to the edge?
Aug 08, 2016, 05:50 PM
These are tough machines and there is no need to add fibreglass or anything else. I added the alloy plate on the front as it makes it a darn sight easier to swap / fit a motor than fiddling with internal mounts.
These things will last forever without adding fibreglass which won't take proper adhesion to the ABS anyway. Unless you fly into a brick wall you there won't be an issue and that is when you might want your fibreglass
I would just buy a new fuselage instead of fixing one anyway. Mine has never had an incident yet except landing in a tree.
Latest blog entry: A bit about me
Aug 13, 2016, 07:53 AM
I got a Pm: , asking what my tow-hook looked like on the P2K. It's
mainly flown on the slope ; but the High-start is a Blast to get into
the thermals without a motor.

The tow-hook ring from the bungee , will hook up 1/8" , (3.175mm) in front
of the CG. The spruce with tape in front of the hook, makes a good skid
plate.

Bille
Aug 13, 2016, 11:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmoshe View Post
Grantham Kid - thank you.
Should I afraid the ABS will fall apart when I flying to the edge?
No don't worry, it's tough !
Aug 15, 2016, 10:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jachipman View Post
After trying the epoxy firewall and having it fail in the garage when hitting it with a socket driver to test the strength, I tried another approach. So in that regard you all were right, not much sticks to this fuselage

This time I bought some circuit board material Fry's Electronics. This one had a copper backing. I cut the circuit board using a hole saw.

This was pretty close to the size of the front of the fuselage. I then used thin fiberglass and epoxy and glassed it into place after making sure the new firewall was drilled correctly for my motor. After about a day, the firewall was checked and looked pretty well bonded. I flew the glider around for a couple of days with some extended motor runs on a 1400kv with a 10.5" prop. Everything was working well with no hints of anything being wrong except for a little vibration (prop balancing most likely cause). I ended up belly landing a little hard but nothing to speak of really (was a little windy so plane was a little twitchy coming in). During the hard landing un beknownced to me, the elevator horn had come off and was in the neutral position. Throwing the glider it started to initially climb and then landed hard on it's belly and skidded off an embankment. The hard landing after that did in the firewall.

So I finally made another one, this one I think will last forever. It DOES NOT involve adhesives and uses a combination of thin hobby plywood and the same circuit board material purchased at Fry's. I'll update this post with pictures when I return home tonight. This one took longer because I used a sander to form the firewall to the dimensions I wanted. The mod looks very nice.

Next up, I'm going to put a tow hook on the belly so I can detach the prop and fly the Phoenix at a local club that does not allow electrics.

I'm still waiting for the wing hardware so I can mount the 2.6m wings I got from General Hobby, the hardware should be here next week.

The wing harness that I made a couple of weeks ago is working great, and makes removing the wing no big deal
Interesting...

How did you connect that board in the picture to the fuslage? Can you add image from the inside?
Aug 15, 2016, 02:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BilleFly View Post
I got a Pm: , asking what my tow-hook looked like on the P2K. It's
mainly flown on the slope ; but the High-start is a Blast to get into
the thermals without a motor.

The tow-hook ring from the bungee , will hook up 1/8" , (3.175mm) in front
of the CG. The spruce with tape in front of the hook, makes a good skid
plate.

Bille

Great thanks!
Aug 16, 2016, 02:33 PM
CURIOSITY Has Landed!
Why would a Club not allow electric motors?
I can understand not allowing Internal Combustion due to noise, but not allowing electric motors is just weird.

Though agreed some of those extremely high RPM pusher prop planes can be noisier than IC,
but a Phoenix 2000 with a big prop and low RPM is very quiet.
Last edited by Fugitive_Bill; Aug 16, 2016 at 02:38 PM.
Aug 25, 2016, 02:18 PM
Any good solution for the canopy instead the ugly rubber?
Aug 25, 2016, 04:10 PM
what ugly rubber tmoshe?
Aug 25, 2016, 05:18 PM
RC Airplane (Recently Crashed)
Quote:
Presume you mean a rubber band. Add a screw and plate. The band is easier.
Aug 26, 2016, 01:58 AM
Eternal beginner
Quote:
My Phoenix has 25 hours of flight, without rubber band or other things.
Never lost the canopy...

Roland
Aug 26, 2016, 02:03 AM
Mine has never come off and it fits real nice. If you break the little lugs off you can easily buy another canopy anyway.