Apr 12, 2015, 02:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniirwan
Hi Cristian, thanks for your input re: Solius & P2K. Does your friend have flaps cut on his Solius? I guess the P2K is still worth having for the times when I want to fly something that is good yet cheap for some worry-free flying

I've read quite a few times that the P2K is a bit of a chore to set up and assemble at the field before flying. How true is this?

Try looking at this video https://youtu.be/-e078oP-gNM
I'm guessing the guy's using Blenderm tape to make a hinge. Looks sturdy enough.
No, he has no flaps on the solius. Reason why he needs a longer landing area.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelsheffield
4 bolts for the wing and plug in 4 servo leads.
I guess you could make a custom connector to have just one plug or you put a s.bus decoder in the wing...
Yes, 4 bolts and 4 plugs but his solius arrives at the field in his own box, my p2k arrives at field with a 2 meters wing because I don't trust the joining method on the phoenix (screws in a wood stick, how long could this last?). Inside a car this makes a difference. I have still to manage a better way to transport the wings. Do you guys split the wings everytime or just leave them togheter?
to remove ads between posts
Apr 12, 2015, 03:43 PM

New Glider from HobbyKING-Phoenix 2000

Thanks! Just ordered a 2836!
Apr 12, 2015, 04:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cristian74
No, he has no flaps on the solius. Reason why he needs a longer landing area.

Yes, 4 bolts and 4 plugs but his solius arrives at the field in his own box, my p2k arrives at field with a 2 meters wing because I don't trust the joining method on the phoenix (screws in a wood stick, how long could this last?). Inside a car this makes a difference. I have still to manage a better way to transport the wings. Do you guys split the wings everytime or just leave them togheter?
My gliders all stay built, I walk down to my field, I'm lazy.
Apr 12, 2015, 05:57 PM
Quote:
Maybe it had a bit of damage already?
Carbon is very bendy and strong but if there was perhaps a slight fault or crack it could have given under load?
That's what I think. I would have thought the aluminium tubes would rip out of the wing before the spar broke, but they are absolutely fine - barely even a sign of stretching. the spar must have gone very easily.
Apr 13, 2015, 09:18 AM
Quote:
My gliders all stay built, I walk down to my field, I'm lazy.
You're so lucky!
I have to drive 30 minutes to my field.
Apr 13, 2015, 11:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cristian74
You're so lucky!
I have to drive 30 minutes to my field.
Well , I moved to Yorkshire as my wife wanted to be near her family, so my only condition was there had to be a field to fly my planes within walking distance from the house......
If i had know I was going to get into gliders though I would have been even more specific and insisted it had at least a slight slope facing west into the prevailing wind
As it is the slope faces east so most of the time there is more sink then lift.
Still, I'll know next time.
30 mins drive would not be so bad if the flying was good, but must be frustrating when you get there and weather is not playing ball.
Apr 13, 2015, 04:58 PM
The Sequel
I could walk up to my slope, perfect southerly face, but it is only a two minute drive, then I can take two planesshould post a pic make u all crazy jealous, and alot of the time I like to fly motor so drive a hole 5min to flat field, oh n soon to move to larger property where right out the front door is the launch area, is good to be out of the city.
Apr 13, 2015, 05:37 PM
Chasin' that Neon Rainbow
I walk out the door of my shed to fly my quads. I can fly my Radian here as I fitted brakes, but have to drive 7 klm to fly my Phoenix and others. Well, I could launch them, but I would have to crash land.
This vid was taken with a 808 cam fixed to my Radian wing. I have to come over my house between trees and everything has to go right or else. Clipped a tree once but no damage.

Radian Glider very Tricky landing (1 min 31 sec)
Apr 13, 2015, 05:46 PM
Sent by Touch Typing
GK set your P2K up with crow, works wonderfully well. Great place to fly, I am sooooo green, FPV heaven
Apr 13, 2015, 05:54 PM
I just fixed my FPV monitor yesterday. Torn whether to put it on my mini quad or a plane.
But yes, a better FPV pilot than me would love the place. 40 acres of it.
Apr 13, 2015, 09:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grantham Kid
I walk out the door of my shed to fly my quads. I can fly my Radian here as I fitted brakes, but have to drive 7 klm to fly my Phoenix and others. Well, I could launch them, but I would have to crash land.
This vid was taken with a 808 cam fixed to my Radian wing. I have to come over my house between trees and everything has to go right or else. Clipped a tree once but no damage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWIg_zcntEk
I'll trade Your landing aria , for My landing aria !!

750-ft drop-off, on both sides , with thermals coming up both sides ;
Ya gotta come-in real low to bleed off the speed. Took 8 tries, to get it close
to correct here :

P3060020 p2000 landing (0 min 18 sec)

Bille
Apr 13, 2015, 09:48 PM
Certainly a beautiful view. Looks like it could be cold in the winter? I wouldn't like landing on that gravel track. Poor old P2!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustflynow2
I could walk up to my slope, perfect southerly face, but it is only a two minute drive, then I can take two planesshould post a pic make u all crazy jealous, and alot of the time I like to fly motor so drive a hole 5min to flat field, oh n soon to move to larger property where right out the front door is the launch area, is good to be out of the city.
Yes, I have had my time of living in cities too, but never again. No real close neighbours is easy to live with but they are all nice folk around here.
Last edited by Grantham Kid; Apr 13, 2015 at 09:56 PM.
Apr 15, 2015, 06:39 AM
I have read most of the thread now, but I wanna ask now explicit
which mods are recommended?
How did you solve the problem with the cheap clevises?
What about the wing attachment?
Are there any other mods required?

Thanks
Apr 15, 2015, 06:53 AM
I found the clevises OK on my recent purchase.
Wing is built as standard too, I fly thermal but loops and rolls on occasion, it has been fine.
If you fly slope you might want to beef it up.
Apr 15, 2015, 07:37 AM
I was after a new motor for the Phoenix and after looking on several forums and comments a few people mentioned this motor so i got it.

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...dProduct=29350

When i got it it looked way smaller then the original but went ahead and installed it. Took it for a few test flights and it was pants. Did i buy the wrong one? It was worse than the original which i think i will put back in untill i get something upto the job.

I was thinking this one?

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...dProduct=29350

Quick Reply