Mar 17, 2015, 01:02 PM
Nigel, how do you know how high you are going... telemetry?
to remove ads between posts
Mar 17, 2015, 01:08 PM
Yes frsky taranis with high precision altimeter.
Very handy, I get a nice lady telling my height anytime I want!
Also vario tones too.
And pack volts and signal rssi levels.
Amps and mah used too if I wanted but I find the thr% timer very accurate anyway.
At the end of my flight I can see a graph on the tx screen of height along with time of each thermal flight after a motor run.
Latest blog entry: Eachine twig 115
Mar 17, 2015, 02:16 PM
RV-1D Grumman Mohawk, US Army
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSASarge
For the price, you could buy a complete P2K kit. I would trash the tube and get a couple CF square tubes from HK to replace it/them.

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._750x10mm.html

10mm x 750 long. Don't know the inside diameter, but you could use a solid or hollow CF rod between two of the square tubes and never worry about it again.
Just got a reply back from HK. ...Inside diameter of the 10mm O.D. square CF tubing is 8mm. HK has 8mm O.D. round tubing that is 8mmX750mm for about $2.00 USD. Much longer and stronger than the aluminum tube when combined with two of the square CF tubes.
Mar 17, 2015, 02:35 PM
Malcolm M.
Quote:
Just got a reply back from HK. ...Inside diameter of the 10mm O.D. square CF tubing is 8mm. HK has 8mm O.D. round tubing that is 8mmX750mm for about $2.00 USD. Much longer and stronger than the aluminum tube when combined with two of the square CF tubes.
I'd question the strength of the inner 8mm tubing for this purpose. Several people have reported problems with it, and easy breakage, if this is the one you are discussing. Not trying to be a killjoy, just would hate to see someone's wings fold suddenly in flight because of a weak joint.
Mar 17, 2015, 02:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelsheffield
Yes frsky taranis with high precision altimeter.
Very handy, I get a nice lady telling my height anytime I want!
Also vario tones too.
And pack volts and signal rssi levels.
Amps and mah used too if I wanted but I find the thr% timer very accurate anyway.
At the end of my flight I can see a graph on the tx screen of height along with time of each thermal flight after a motor run.

I have the Taranis too, eventually I think I'd like that stuff also. Especially pack voltage. I don't think I will doing much thermaling.
Mar 17, 2015, 03:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowair
I have the Taranis too, eventually I think I'd like that stuff also. Especially pack voltage. I don't think I will doing much thermaling.
I have the d8r receiver because it gives pack volts with just 2 resistors to a2.
Though I built a couple of openxsensor which as well as a vario altimeter can give cell volts and amps so an x8r would be my next RX.
Latest blog entry: Eachine twig 115
Mar 17, 2015, 04:46 PM
Chasin' that Neon Rainbow
knowair Re your enquiry about motor suggestions.
I posted some results a couple of days ago with this motor.
I should be testing it in the air this p.m. all going well.
I have an altimeter so will do some timed climbs.
Will post results tonight.
Mar 17, 2015, 07:47 PM
"Rocket Scientist"

Wing Joiner

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by deuxchevaux
I'd question the strength of the inner 8mm tubing for this purpose. Several people have reported problems with it, and easy breakage, if this is the one you are discussing. Not trying to be a killjoy, just would hate to see someone's wings fold suddenly in flight because of a weak joint.
Hi guys, I've been looking at this for a while, as the metal sq. tubes seem to me to be the weak link in the wing assembly, see this post: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=6698
I like the idea of the 10mm cf sq. tubes, but was a bit wary of the 8mm hole size as the OEM tube is 9mm. Not all cf tubes are created equal though ... the factory tube is 9x5 with a 2mm wall - pretty robust. Both 8mm tubes that I have laying around in the shop have id's of about 6mm leaving a wall thickness of 1mm, and would not be comfortable with that for my center tube. Checked the HK link (above) and found no spec for the id or wall thickness. A solid 8mm rod would be pretty stiff, better than a thin wall tube for sure. Any body have any feedback on this?

ct
Mar 17, 2015, 09:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grantham Kid
knowair Re your enquiry about motor suggestions.
I posted some results a couple of days ago with this motor.
I should be testing it in the air this p.m. all going well.
I have an altimeter so will do some timed climbs.
Will post results tonight.

Looks like a strong one. Kind of heavy though isn't it? 146 grams? That's almost two motors worth of weight.
Last edited by knowair; Mar 17, 2015 at 10:10 PM.
Mar 17, 2015, 10:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crosstrim
Hi guys, I've been looking at this for a while, as the metal sq. tubes seem to me to be the weak link in the wing assembly, see this post: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=6698
I like the idea of the 10mm cf sq. tubes, but was a bit wary of the 8mm hole size as the OEM tube is 9mm. Not all cf tubes are created equal though ... the factory tube is 9x5 with a 2mm wall - pretty robust. Both 8mm tubes that I have laying around in the shop have id's of about 6mm leaving a wall thickness of 1mm, and would not be comfortable with that for my center tube. Checked the HK link (above) and found no spec for the id or wall thickness. A solid 8mm rod would be pretty stiff, better than a thin wall tube for sure. Any body have any feedback on this?

ct

I just got a couple of 6 mm solid CF rods and they are extremely stiff.
Mar 17, 2015, 10:15 PM
Quote:
Looks like a strong one. Kind of heavy though isn't it? 146 grams? That's almost two motors worth of weight.
True but my 85 gram motor arrived today so I will see how it performs first, then maybe change over. I have 4 or 5 motors that will fit her. Weather looking good but we had an early morning thunderstorm that had me worried.
Mar 17, 2015, 10:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grantham Kid
True but my 85 gram motor arrived today so I will see how it performs first, then maybe change over. I have 4 or 5 motors that will fit her. Weather looking good but we had an early morning thunderstorm that had me worried.
Wow, sounds like you're the guy to test motors! Yeah, flying in a thunderstorm is probably a bad idea. Which one is the 85 gram one?
Mar 17, 2015, 11:43 PM
Chch, NZ
Don't fly when there is lightening about. I have personally had my plane knocked out of the sky by the glitches that two successive lightening strikes close together caused, even though the strikes were still a few km away.
The first strike glitched my control, when the second came a second or so later I was too close to the ground to recover and she nosed in.

Check out R2Hobbies for CF, the have a 10x8 round tube and a 8x4 round tube. Really good quality, better than HK's CF.
http://www.r2hobbies.com/rc-accessor...-rod-tube.html
Mar 18, 2015, 04:07 AM
Quote:
Turned out a glorious afternoon for flying. Nearly dead calm and clear sky. I flew 2 gliders and a Quad as well.

I was a bit disappointed in the performance of the new motor in the Phoenix today. It took about 15 seconds to climb to 214 meters whereas it took 20 seconds to 200 meters with the last motor. (from a Dynam T28 850kV)
I think the extra weight cancelled out the performance, however the glide performance didn't seem to be affected at all.
Gotta try another one....
Last edited by Grantham Kid; Mar 18, 2015 at 04:20 AM.
Mar 18, 2015, 04:12 AM
Quote:
Wow, sounds like you're the guy to test motors! Yeah, flying in a thunderstorm is probably a bad idea. Which one is the 87 gram one?
This is the 87 gram motor.

It only has a 3mm shaft which I am not happy about. (it comes with a spare one)
I soldered on the connectors today so it is only a 10 minute swap over.
Same kV so it may be all right.

Today I could only keep a steady approx 40 degree climb angle. Not too bad but I had expected better. Still, a 4S would soon fix that but I don't really want to go there. (more weight)

Quick Reply