Mar 16, 2015, 09:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcuspocus
For me neoprene gel contact adhesive worked extremely well to repair foam hinges.
And it will never break again where there is glue.
Could you give me an example of such adhesive? Even if you know a local (French) brand, it would help me figuring out the US equivalent...
to remove ads between posts
Mar 16, 2015, 09:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 120ccpm
Could you give me an example of such adhesive? Even if you know a local (French) brand, it would help me figuring out the US equivalent...
I would go ahead and use tape - it's very easy to do and very strong if you use the right tape. Blenderm is the standard choice, but I've also had good luck with clear duct tape - it's very strong, very sticky and very flexible.
Mar 16, 2015, 09:15 PM
Chasin' that Neon Rainbow
Quote:
Originally Posted by deuxchevaux
Does anyone know if laminating film will adhere well to EPO foam? I think I'm going to get a Phoenix one of these days but the reports of fragile hinges lately are making me think it needs some going over prior to any flying. -malcolm
Here is a pic of Hobby King Transparent Lilac Covering Film on the tail of my Phoenix. I used low heat to apply it and it went on really well. It has been on for months and still perfect.

This is self adhesive book covering semi transparent vinyl on my EPO Raptor. It is easy to work with and looks great but if it is exposed to hot sun it can develop little bubbles.

Mar 16, 2015, 09:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grantham Kid
Sorry to hear about your accident. Did you find the reason?
Nope, I can just guess, and it's difficult to understand what broke in flight (and likely caused the spin), and what broke on impact...
For sure, my Phoenix has very weak hinges, as pretty much ALL of them either separated or are about to...
Mar 16, 2015, 09:31 PM
Malcolm M.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grantham Kid
Here is a pic of Hobby King Transparent Lilac Covering Film on the tail of my Phoenix. I used low heat to apply it and it went on really well. It has been on for months and still perfect.

This is self adhesive book covering semi transparent vinyl on my EPO Raptor. It is easy to work with and looks great but if it is exposed to hot sun it can develop little bubbles.
Oh good. Thanks for the tip!
Mar 16, 2015, 11:29 PM
Chch, NZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSASarge
Almost any kind of hinge will be stronger than a foam hinge. I will never fly with a foam hinge. The first thing I did was cut away all the moving surfaces, sand smooth and install a proper hinge. I will not have a crash due to a seperated surface. It eliminates one cause.
+1
Same here, every time I get a new plane it's one of the first things I do.
You don't have to be a rocket scientist to realise those foam hinges are not going to last forever. Sure, they may last months, maybe even a year, but sooner or later they will fail. Why wait?
Mar 17, 2015, 01:06 AM
http://www.bostik.fr/grand-public-ca...e-m-0-g-0.html

Sorry for the french, I didn't find any in english.
Mar 17, 2015, 05:06 AM
Mike
I would try this one.
Mar 17, 2015, 05:18 AM
Blenderm for me as standard routine on all my foam hinges.
It's a quick simple straight forward job.
It also brings you up and close to any other little imperfections that might have escaped from the factory, like lack of glue on stiffeners!
Go With the Flow
Bruce
Mar 17, 2015, 06:49 AM
RC Airplane (Recently Crashed)
Try this method as another alternative:

Foam Hinge Repair By Rich Baker in HD (11 min 5 sec)
Mar 17, 2015, 08:54 AM
MK
MK
Foam-Tac also works too in making a hinge.
Mar 17, 2015, 08:55 AM
MK
MK
Quote:
Originally Posted by deuxchevaux
Does anyone know if laminating film will adhere well to EPO foam?
Yes it does. Docu-Lam worked great on my Bouncer. It comes frosted but turns clear when applied with heat to the foam.
Mar 17, 2015, 11:22 AM
Well I broke the shaft on the stock volantex b4023/kv850 during one of my patented "landings". I was soooo close to making the top but noooo, it found the face of the muddy, half frozen, steep, slippery, sandy bluff. Retrieval was interesting.

Couple of things..... Someone earlier in the thread said this motor weighed 120 grams (somewhere around there). I weigh it as 90 grams.

Also I notice that the way it is made seems like it would get a lot of cooling, the windings and rotor being separated from the mounting base. The windings are exposed on the one side.

Now I don't know about the power of this motor but it seems like a good design cooling-wise and is not too heavy. It seemed to perform well for me.

So anyhow I went ahead and ordered this other motor from HK to replace it https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=71876
Turnigy2836 Brushless Outrunner 1000kv as per a recommendation earlier in the thread. It weighs 80 g. I also like the idea of a 4 mm shaft as it is what my current spinner is, and the way I tend to peg this plane into the ground the thicker shaft should be more resistant to breaking.

But now I'm having second thoughts as someone also said this motor is too weak/small for the plane and it heats up quickly. I'm swinging a 10x6 graupner.

I notice that a store here in the states has the original Volantex for sale. A few bucks more but no biggie. I'm wondering if I should have gotten it instead.

Advice? I looked over the search info on motors in this thread but I'm as confused as ever. Maybe buy the volantrex also to have a spare?

BTW....before my last "landing" yesterday I had some great flights off my bluff. It was cool flying the plane below me at times. There were two guys with high-end quads flying the same beach FPV and one of them lost theirs, presumably to the water. I heard his son say "What are you going to do now?". Bummer. I almost felt guilty flying over them afterward.
Last edited by knowair; Mar 17, 2015 at 11:31 AM.
Mar 17, 2015, 12:14 PM
To add to the confusion, this same motor # turns up a motor on the HK website that does not look my stock motor. says 107 grams

edit, oops sorry, not really the same number but they don't seem to list the B4023
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ner_Motor.html

Mods you can delete this if you want.
Last edited by knowair; Mar 17, 2015 at 12:32 PM.
Mar 17, 2015, 12:36 PM
Some good flying today, I managed a 45 min thermal flight from one motor run to 350ft!
Thermaled up from about 90ft to over 1000ft and went from thermal to thermal, great fun!

Quick Reply