Chuck Norris can drown a fish.
Thanks nigelsheffield...

Mike
to remove ads between posts
Mar 15, 2015, 09:47 PM
RV-1D Grumman Mohawk, US Army
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapncheerful
... I'm going to have to fully straighten the square ally tube and see if that helps to bring the foam out a bit more. But it's also bent down and twisted a bit, so the wing may not ever recover. I see HK now offer a wing from it's spares selection, so that may be the answer, eventually.....
For the price, you could buy a complete P2K kit. I would trash the tube and get a couple CF square tubes from HK to replace it/them.

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._750x10mm.html

10mm x 750 long. Don't know the inside diameter, but you could use a solid or hollow CF rod between two of the square tubes and never worry about it again.
Mar 16, 2015, 12:24 AM
Chasin' that Neon Rainbow
I had a couple of new motors on order for mine and one arrived today so I threw it in and it is ready to go, probably Wednesday.
The motor is a NTN 35-42 1000kV and after a few tests, pulls another 65 watts above the one I had in it.
Results on standard folding prop with 3S battery.
26 Amps
325 Watts (motor is capable of 700 watts)
8,500 RPM
I use a Dr Mad Thrust UBEC (5-7.5 Amp) to power everything on board and at present am just going to use the same ESC that was fitted. A 30 Amp E-Flite Pro as it barely got warm running at full power in the tests so I won't have a problem with short runs in the field.
It will be interesting to measure my climb rate now, it used to be 200 meters in 20 seconds so I should see some improvement on that now.

I made a new alloy motor mounting plate and shortened the motor shaft around 7 mm to get the spinner gap right.
I also ordered a spare motor shaft at the time so I have a spare to refit to the motor if I change motors in the future.
Last edited by Grantham Kid; Mar 16, 2015 at 12:33 AM.
Mar 16, 2015, 03:44 AM
Hey there SJBrit, small world.
I fly at Aston Rowant public access nature reserve, just along the Christmas Common Rd, and also at a flat field strip between Chinnor and the village of Towersey.
When is your next trip to UK? Perhaps we could meet up?
Go With the Flow
Bruce
Mar 16, 2015, 04:52 AM
Chch, NZ
+1 for trashing wings with a kink in the alloy tube, I learnt the hard way tha I should have done that when my FPVRaptor wing folded in mid flight after a 'repair' (same wing set as the Phoenix).

As far as softer nose cones go maybe you need this?
Mar 16, 2015, 07:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baustin
Hey there SJBrit, small world.
I fly at Aston Rowant public access nature reserve, just along the Christmas Common Rd, and also at a flat field strip between Chinnor and the village of Towersey.
When is your next trip to UK? Perhaps we could meet up?
Go With the Flow
Bruce
I do miss the Chilterns. I spent a bunch of time in Dorset too on the Isle of Purbeck - lots of beautiful sloping in both places. I'll be back in England in May but pretty much stuck up in Cambridge (the worst of all places for a sloper to visit on business! )

Check out Ibstone sometime - just before the windmill where the road overlooks Turville. It's a lovely valley, strong clean lift when the wind is right and there's something about overlooking Turville that always made me happy :-) There's a couple of pull-ins where you can park and then a quick hop over the gate and you are flying.

I'll ping you next time I'm heading back to Bucks.

Adrian.
Mar 16, 2015, 11:11 AM
Sounds like a good plan, Adrian
I'll have a look at Turville and surrounds.
Go With the Flow
Bruce
Mar 16, 2015, 05:34 PM

Crash

Crashed the Phoenix yesterday, lost control and it went straight into the ground, nose first. Incredibly, damage was limited to a small kink in the fuselage behind the motor vents, a slightly bent motor shaft or prop spinner, broken battery tray and two broken pins on the canopy. Near zero damage on the wings, which were reinforced with packing tape.

But what's very weird and worth noting - as it could very well be the cause of the crash - is that one flap was about 75% separated from the wing (see photo), the other flap and one aileron about 20%, rudder almost completely detached.

I don't know how to explain this, as the plane has only 10 easy flights on it, so fatigue is not an option. Maybe the wing flexed as I pulled hard from a dive (although I don't recall doing anything like that) while the flaps/ailerons did not because of their CF rods, but that would explain some separation at the extremities, not what I got. Have I deployed full flaps when going too fast? But the rudder??? Can't think of a reason for that much damage, unless that broke on impact...

Anyways, whatever the cause, be careful, as - at least on my plane - the foam "hinges" seem to be very fragile.

On the subject, I've seen people suggesting to use liquid weld - I believe - to repair them: how about packing tape, on both sides? Or should I buy some plastic hinges from HobbyKing and go with those? Suggestions are welcome...
Last edited by 120ccpm; Mar 16, 2015 at 05:42 PM.
Mar 16, 2015, 05:46 PM
For me neoprene gel contact adhesive worked extremely well to repair foam hinges.
And it will never break again where there is glue.
Mar 16, 2015, 06:01 PM
Chasin' that Neon Rainbow
Sorry to hear about your accident. Did you find the reason?
Wing flex can cause seperation of the control surfaces. I had a prime example a few days ago of that when one of my flying wings started flexing due to overspeed and the ailerons seperated.

You can go to the trouble of fitting some decent Dubro or Robart hinges, or, just use Blenderm tape.
If you know how to fit that tape properly you should never have to replace them again.
Mar 16, 2015, 07:16 PM
Malcolm M.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grantham Kid
Sorry to hear about your accident. Did you find the reason?
Wing flex can cause seperation of the control surfaces. I had a prime example a few days ago of that when one of my flying wings started flexing due to overspeed and the ailerons seperated.

You can go to the trouble of fitting some decent Dubro or Robart hinges, or, just use Blenderm tape.
If you know how to fit that tape properly you should never have to replace them again.
Aloft Hobbies has decent prices on blenderm tape. They also have laminating film in different thicknesses, which might find some use on the Phoenix in certain places. Does anyone know if laminating film will adhere well to EPO foam? I think I'm going to get a Phoenix one of these days but the reports of fragile hinges lately are making me think it needs some going over prior to any flying. -malcolm
Mar 16, 2015, 07:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by deuxchevaux
Aloft Hobbies has decent prices on blenderm tape. They also have laminating film in different thicknesses, which might find some use on the Phoenix in certain places. Does anyone know if laminating film will adhere well to EPO foam? I think I'm going to get a Phoenix one of these days but the reports of fragile hinges lately are making me think it needs some going over prior to any flying. -malcolm
If you spend the time looking over everything you will have a great experience.
Mar 16, 2015, 08:38 PM
RV-1D Grumman Mohawk, US Army
Quote:
Originally Posted by 120ccpm
Crashed the Phoenix yesterday, lost control and it went straight into the ground ... one flap was about 75% separated from the wing (see photo), the other flap and one aileron about 20%, rudder almost completely detached ...
Almost any kind of hinge will be stronger than a foam hinge. I will never fly with a foam hinge. The first thing I did was cut away all the moving surfaces, sand smooth and install a proper hinge. I will not have a crash due to a seperated surface. It eliminates one cause.
Mar 16, 2015, 08:44 PM
Sent by Touch Typing
I'm too lazy, reinforce with a strip of Blenderm and go fly.
Mar 16, 2015, 08:48 PM
"Rocket Scientist"

Hinges

Quote:
Originally Posted by 120ccpm
... Anyways, whatever the cause, be careful, as - at least on my plane - the foam "hinges" seem to be very fragile. ...
Looking at the pix, there does seem to be some suspiciously "clean" areas on the vert. stab. where the EPO might have been a bit thin. The manufacturing process probably has tolerances that allow for slightly thinner or thicker hinges depending on material/temperature/humidity, etc. The hinges on my first P2K were so stiff that I worked them for 5-10 minutes before I felt comfortable with the flexibility.
Any of the ideas above for reinforcing the hinge joints will work. I'm still planning the mods for my second P2K, so I'd be interested in which method you choose, and how you like it.

ct

Quick Reply