Mar 14, 2015, 07:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelsheffield
Catching is good if you can do it, much like landing though you can't half catch it!
Crow is essential for catching this bird but it can be done.
I've got a throttle kill switch and crow set up so maybe I should try catching. What's the worst that could happen? I get an aluminum nose cone to the forehead and get killed? I can see the newspaper headlines now.

Maybe I need a softer nose cone.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 14, 2015, 08:47 PM
RC Airplane (Recently Crashed)
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowair
I've got a throttle kill switch and crow set up so maybe I should try catching. What's the worst that could happen? I get an aluminum nose cone to the forehead and get killed? I can see the newspaper headlines now.

With full crow I can land my glider in 30 Kph wind in a ten foot circle. It is all about your approach
Mar 14, 2015, 10:10 PM
Whoa……it flies
Quote:
Very cool Al. It looks like magic. Good to see even a pro like you crashes from time to time.
Who is this pro called Al?

Andrew here, and I crash all the time.
Mar 15, 2015, 12:00 AM
Chuck Norris can drown a fish.
Just got my Phoenix 2K and started my build. I also picked up a Sk3 2836 1040kv motor along with a couple of 1800 3s Turnigy batteries. I was a little concerned that my CC25A ESC would not handle the load with the 10x6 stock prop. After bench testing the motor and prop i was only pulling:

12.35v
17.4A
190w

The DA (density altitude) was around 6900 ft...

Do these numbers sound about right for the Sk3 2836 with a 10x6 prop?

Mike
Mar 15, 2015, 12:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anewton
Who is this pro called Al?

Andrew here, and I crash all the time.
Oh sorry Andrew. My brain crashed.
Mar 15, 2015, 04:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FISHER711
Just got my Phoenix 2K and started my build. I also picked up a Sk3 2836 1040kv motor along with a couple of 1800 3s Turnigy batteries. I was a little concerned that my CC25A ESC would not handle the load with the 10x6 stock prop. After bench testing the motor and prop i was only pulling:

12.35v
17.4A
190w

The DA (density altitude) was around 6900 ft...

Do these numbers sound about right for the Sk3 2836 with a 10x6 prop?

Mike
They sound about right to me, its pretty close to what I get from my 1000kv keda 2836. There is enough power there to do that job.
Latest blog entry: Eachine twig 115
Mar 15, 2015, 04:36 AM
Quote:

Rubber nose cone available anywhere?
Be careful catching these things!

My mate had a flying wing , his push rods stuck out the front of servos and wernt filed down or protected in anyway, I pointed out the danger but...., needless to say he caught it anyway and the rod stuck into his finger, I ashamed to say I could not stop laughing as a very fine line of blood squirted out of the end of his finger
Latest blog entry: Eachine twig 115
Mar 15, 2015, 06:58 AM
Can I crash it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelsheffield
That's a shame.
Time for some hot water and glue?
Quote:
Ouch Charlie! I know the feeling though I must say you did real job there.
Heh, I crashed my Bix 2 into 4 pieces last year, so this is one up on that. Can't find the pics I took of that, but the top of the fuselaga came off with the wings as they broke out of the top of their slot and the motor 'pod' broke off and separated from the motor. And the tail came off. Again.

I think the bend in the P2K wing is being it's own worst enemy, as it isn't responding to the good old near boiling temp water trick. I'm going to have to fully straighten the square ally tube and see if that helps to bring the foam out a bit more. But it's also bent down and twisted a bit, so the wing may not ever recover.
I see HK now offer a wing from it's spares selection, so that may be the answer, eventually.
Yea, the tail parts and aileron will all glue back together, and the wing tip won't be too much of a prob either.
Mar 15, 2015, 09:32 AM
I just repaired the broken tail section of my other plane, a Skipper. I used Gorilla Glue then hot glue to tack it in place while it expanded and set, then I used carbon fiber cloth with epoxy around the break. Very solid now. I got the carbon fiber cloth laminating kit on Ebay. It comes as a roll long enough to strengthen wings if needed. I just put it out there as I suspect the CF/epoxy repairs will be very strong. A strip along the Phoenix's wing for instance would add a lot of strength and should prevent a lot of wing breaks.
Mar 15, 2015, 10:32 AM
Hi Cheapncheerful,
I reckon you can write off the metal tubes.
Do yourself a favour and get a couple of the HK 10mm square by 75cm long CF tubes with your next P2K wings order.
I'm using them and they are actually slightly lighter, but very forgiving with bank and yank, not to mention heavy landings!!! You'll also need some 8mm rod toslide inside as the joiner.
Go With the Flow
Bruce
Mar 15, 2015, 10:54 AM
I have just contacted HK to see if the *mm solid rod might become a possibility.

Bruce, Mar 15, 23:50:
Hi Guys
You already stock 10mm square Carbon fiber tube which has an 8mm internal diameter.
I have used this successfully in the Lanyu Phoenix 2000 wings.
BUT you do not yet stock a solid 8mm carbon Fiber rod which we could use as a wing joiner inside that CF tube.
Can you please consider adding that to your UK Warehouse stock.
Please advise me if and when you do.
Regards
Bruce

Fingers crossed and Go With the Flow
Bruce
Mar 15, 2015, 11:05 AM
I just got a couple of 6mm solid CF rods. Wow they are stiff. If one wants a little flex they would be too stiff.
Mar 15, 2015, 12:55 PM
Hey Baustin - I see you are from Stokenchurch? I live in the US now but I grew up in Frieth! Where do you fly? I used to spend many happy hours up by the windmill at Ibstone - I still don't think there's a more idyllic spot anywhere. I'm building a foamie at the moment which I can travel with: I have a dream of sloping at Ibstone again on one of my trips back home.
Mar 15, 2015, 02:37 PM
Whoa……it flies
Quote:
Do you use any ballast? How about expo?
No ballast and expo setup same as SpeedsterDEN recommendations
Mar 15, 2015, 07:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anewton
No ballast and expo setup same as SpeedsterDEN recommendations
Thanks Andrew, it is in his post, #16 on this thread.

60% expo on ailerons is surprising.

I'm sure that all I need is the right expo setting to be great pilot.

Quick Reply