Aug 09, 2014, 02:01 PM
Happy to see that spares for the P2K are available now from Volantex!
to remove ads between posts
Aug 10, 2014, 08:07 AM
Hello there, I'm mounting the motor and I could use some advice on the right order of the different pieces.

Should be: motor -> washers -> black plastic disc [1] -> 4 short screws
fuselage -> metal disc -> 4 long screws to the plastic disc.

1. As for the black plastic disk would it be better to use on of those cross-shaped metal support instead ?

How many washers should I start with to fly with some ZippyCompact 1500 (113g) or the usual 2200 nanotech? I'm going to start with a pair of TGS 10x6F Precision Folding propeller .

Thanks!
Aug 10, 2014, 09:35 AM
Use something between the motor and firewall to keep the heat from the motor from softening the firewall. The motor tends to get warm rather quickly and can soften the firewall causing it to fail prematurely. Also there is a weak point in the wings where the square tube ends and the CF stiffeners don't overlap. I inserted 2 6" lengths of CF to add some strength on the underside of the wing. Covering the underside of the wing with colored packing tape adds considerable strength to the wing as well as making orientation easier to see. The P2K was my first RC plane and it has led a rough life but has proven to be easily repaired.
Aug 10, 2014, 11:00 AM
eaman, yep that's the correct order- with the black plastic between motor and firewall..........

Mix some down elevator with throttle to counteract the climb rate.
Aug 10, 2014, 01:04 PM
Camber down and screw it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woooody
Mix some down elevator with throttle to counteract the climb rate.
Or don't. I prefer to fly it up using the elevator stick. The reason is that depending on how much wind is blowing at launch, you would need different amounts of mixed down elevator. If it's under the control of your thumb, you can vary it from almost no down elevator (if it's calm), to almost full DOWN elevator (if it's very windy).

There are times when it's quite windy, and I will be holding nearly full down elevator during the entire launch. Other times, just a few taps of down when it wants to flip back over on itself.

Your choice, but I prefer to be under manual control.

--
Greg
Aug 10, 2014, 01:42 PM
Thanks all.
Indeed the black disc doesn't look much safe to me.
Would it be possible to use on of those metal motor support (see previous link) instead of it?

For the elevator / the mix I usually have 2 different flight modes: first natural and second / third with more elevator mix.
Aug 10, 2014, 02:09 PM
Hi botulism (1st time I've said that!!),

Fair point but you still do have manual control of the elevator......

eaman, the plastic seems plenty strong enough. It's not brittle and you can put a lot of pressure on the self-tapping screws when mounting the motor.

Finally figured out how to get my throttle onto the left stick AND have proportional butterfly on my Aurora 9. Lwt me know if anybody's been struggling with it.

No flying today as we have the remnants of Hurricane Bertha over the UK!
Aug 10, 2014, 02:44 PM
Does someone know, which Size the stock prop has?

Christisn
Aug 10, 2014, 04:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by christian0007
Does someone know, which Size the stock prop has?

Christisn
Stock is 10x6
Aug 10, 2014, 06:52 PM
"Rocket Scientist"

Motor Mount - the OCD way

Here's what I did:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2086749
Aug 11, 2014, 12:50 AM
Life is good!
I had a brown out on Saturday and the P2K was a total loss. New P2K (aka Pile Driver II) is in the mail. I figure either I was too high and lost signal. (When a 2 meter glider looks like it's 1/4 of an inch, how high is that??) Or my lipo crapped out on me because I used to motor to get high enough for a 2 meter glider to look like it was a 1/4 inch 4 times.
So here is my question. How and where do you mount your RX to get the best reception? Do you drill a hole in the fuse and run the antenna outside the fuse? Do you use a satellite rx on the outside of the fuse?
Any info will be appreciated. It'll also keep me from having to name a plane Pile Driver III.
Thank you.

Ted
Aug 11, 2014, 01:36 AM
The Sequel
What is your radio system
Aug 11, 2014, 02:17 AM
Chasin' that Neon Rainbow
betcha it's a spektrum.
Aug 11, 2014, 04:08 AM
The fuse will not effect signal as it is plastic not carbon.
However servos and wires can, I put mine one outside of fuse under wing and the other in fuse going done to tail, 2000 ft up and a fair way out and no rssi warnings. Main thing is 90 degrees to each other and away from wires and other metal / electrical items.
Your LVC should have sorted any low battery situation, but of course there is also bec potential problems.
If you are on spectrum though it probably is a good idea to not to be lol.
Aug 11, 2014, 06:00 AM
Life is good!
What's up with spectrum? I've been flying on a DX7 for about 5 years now.

Ted

Quick Reply