Apr 17, 2013, 09:47 PM
The Sequel
Quote:
Originally Posted by orcas flier
Mustflynow2, thank you! I'll keep that Spectrum for close up flying only.
I think so, just looking back, I have had mine out to 1500ft and I saw another flyer with his past 2000ft! How is your eye sight? If you are enjoying some thermal, you don't want to be worrying about loss of signal.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=2407

Numbers above are from my 4s set up
to remove ads between posts
Apr 17, 2013, 09:56 PM
So the Orange X is supposed to be a full range rX yes?
Apr 17, 2013, 11:00 PM
Quote:
So the Orange X is supposed to be a full range rX yes?
You have to check the specs. I think the 6 channel orangerx are parkflyer receivers and the 9 channel is full range.
Apr 17, 2013, 11:35 PM
Got my motor today. It's an arc black outrunner 2215 950kv motor rated for 18 amps. I tested it and at wot with a fresh 3s lipo and the stock prop it gets 17 amps. So hopefully everything stays cool. Gonna do the wiring for the wings tomorrow.
Apr 18, 2013, 12:14 AM
The Sequel
Quote:
Originally Posted by mckolit
Got my motor today. It's an arc black outrunner 2215 950kv motor rated for 18 amps. I tested it and at wot with a fresh 3s lipo and the stock prop it gets 17 amps. So hopefully everything stays cool. Gonna do the wiring for the wings tomorrow.
Wow, nice little motor for a light set up. I have a larger 36mm arc inrunner, strong motor, not for the phoenix though. Let us know how you get on, are you getting 200 watts? Reckon the arc 2814-980kv might have been an option too, 5mm shaft 96g. Should get a kg of thrust with the little one though
Apr 18, 2013, 01:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustflynow2
Wow, nice little motor for a light set up. I have a larger 36mm arc inrunner, strong motor, not for the phoenix though. Let us know how you get on, are you getting 200 watts? Reckon the arc 2814-980kv might have been an option too, 5mm shaft 96g. Should get a kg of thrust with the little one though
Put it back on the watt meter getting 200 amps. I didn't even look at the other motors. I was stuck on this one because it was under 1000 kv and fairly light.

Got the wiring harness done today. Biggest problem for me was making a harness for two wings. It was easier on my fun cub since I glued the wings together but I need to keep this a two piece wing for ease of transport. Luckily I had a bag of these.

Don't remember why I got em, they're lipo balance tap extenders. Just used em to make a separate harness for each wing, then connect them to a 9 pin connector which goes to the receiver.

Also read somewhere to use hot glue instead of heat shrink for the connectors. Stays more flexible.
Apr 19, 2013, 03:37 AM
Quote:
I have a Spectrum AR6100 and a 6 channel Orange X. Would either of these be a good choice for the Phoenix, capable of receiving a signal at a reasonable distance for this plane?

Thanks,
Ben
G'day Ben,
Suggest the Orange R7100 and the Orange Satellite go with it ... Just to be safe. Both are cheap as chips and are full range DSM2.
This is the Rx setup I have in mine, although initially I was doubtful as to its being as good as the genuine Spektrum Rxs mainly due to the price difference. However, so far it's performed flawlessly, as have several othe P2Ks using the same Rxs in my club.
The main Rx is easily mounted aft in the underwing area, with aerials poking down the tail boom, and the satellite mounted fwd, just behind the canopy using servo mounting tape.
Hope this helps.
Daffy
Apr 19, 2013, 05:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flahultarn
I had gone through all images I could find on the interior and all of them indicated that it should be an ease to work inside the front of the fuse with plenty of space... well, reality was different. I ended up gluing two sheets of 0,8 mm ply together and then epoxying them inside the front and then 2x0,6 outside. I feels safe and there's no vibrations so far. I'm also running a 2836, an Emax 2218 / 930 kv I bought at the LHS (don't ask me why the model is named 2218 cause it is a 2836). A very nice motor, recommendable!
G'day again Flahultarn in Sverige,

I may be able to help you further, even though you have already fitted your motor. This is the method I described on how I fitted an improved motor mount/firewall to my P2K, and which is shown in Post# 2198 in this thread from some time ago, and followed up later in Post# 2228 where I added Photos.
The motor I use in my P2K is a Hyperion Gs22 series motor similar in specs. to the motor you are using. However my motor has a very narrow tapered nose, but any 28mm diameter motor, even with differing mount hole diameters, similar to the NTM 2836 1000kv 400w motor, can still be used with the motor mount method I devised.
Incidentally, I would thoroughly recommend this motor for the P2K.
I did this because I think the soft plastic firewall/motor mount is far too thin and soft. The plywood/plastic/plywood sandwich all screwed together is far more robust I reckon!

Another tip ... When fitting the motor from the inside, which can be difficult, is to cut the head off a 30mm or longer M3 screw and after screwing it into one of the motor's mounting holes, you will be able to feed it through the motor mount holes far more easily. When this long threaded piece is pushed through its related mounting hole, it is then used to pull the motor hard up against the inside of the mount, and after lining them up, the other three M3 mounting screws can be fitted, and when they're tightened up, the threaded 3M screw mounting rod is removed, and the fourth mount screw fitted. Job done!
Apr 19, 2013, 06:05 AM

Phoenix 2000 Impressions

Well, I got my Phoenix early last week and rather than mess with it, I just put it together. Stock!

Flew it saturday morning and the rudder and elevator clevises crapped themselves. I knew that in advance so it was no dissapointment and nothing broke on the final landing that morning.

Replaced them with a couple of spares I found on a trashed F6F Hellcat and then off again on Sunday morning to have another fly with it.

Attached the Keychain cam for some video this time. Can be seen here .....
Phoenix 14042013 (10 min 48 sec)

What a wonderful strong plane to fly. Plenty of power in stock trim. Climbs easily and is as steady as a rock. The plastic fuselage is very strong. Fly it yank and bank or with elevator and rudder. Very responsive. Never used more than 50% power for more than 30 seconds or so. Brilliant.

Now for a controversial statement .... I would recommend this for a beginner. Why? Well, I started out flying just over 12 months ago, but due to time and weather constraints, I never got much time in the air. No sweat. No panic. the world isn't going to end yet!

My first glider was a HK Mini Swift, and that was very flighty. Not good for a beginner at all in hindsight. It was cheap though. :-)

So, ever the next 8 months I bought an AXN, a Bixler, a Bixler 2 and a Minimoa. As you'll notice they got bigger as I progressed. They are all in one piece too. No major crashes.

So, when I got the AXN, my skills got better, but it was still a little bit flghty for learning. The Bixler was much better, and I learnt much from this plane. The Bixler 2 is slightly bigger again, and a little easier to handle. The Minimoa is an odd bird; enough said there. I think i'll leave until I have honed my rudder/elevator skills some more. It needs them.

The first time I threw the Phoenix in the air I was astounded how easy it was to fly. It was amazing.

Anyway, enough bull for now.

Really glad I bought the Phoenix. Looking forward to flying it again and again. And for the price, an absolute bargain!

:-)

Mike
Apr 19, 2013, 06:49 AM
Flaps are mandatory
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Black Duck
Another tip ... When fitting the motor from the inside, which can be difficult, is to cut the head off a 30mm or longer M3 screw and after screwing it into one of the motor's mounting holes, you will be able to feed it through the motor mount holes far more easily. When this long threaded piece is pushed through its related mounting hole, it is then used to pull the motor hard up against the inside of the mount, and after lining them up, the other three M3 mounting screws can be fitted, and when they're tightened up, the threaded 3M screw mounting rod is removed, and the fourth mount screw fitted. Job done!
Hi mate! Actually, it was your pics that inspired me the most on how to carry out the strengthening of the firewall. Although, I could not make the recession you have on the interior so I just used thinner ply. And I also used longer bolts to guide the motor into its position, using nuts from the front to pull it into position and then replacing them.
Apr 19, 2013, 10:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Black Duck
Wish I saw this tip earlier. I spent about half an hour trying to get my motor mounted!
Apr 19, 2013, 03:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelTDM900
Well, I got my Phoenix early last week and rather than mess with it, I just put it together. Stock!

Flew it saturday morning and the rudder and elevator clevises crapped themselves. I knew that in advance so it was no dissapointment and nothing broke on the final landing that morning.

Replaced them with a couple of spares I found on a trashed F6F Hellcat and then off again on Sunday morning to have another fly with it.

Attached the Keychain cam for some video this time. Can be seen here .....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZpmZ4FK5_I

What a wonderful strong plane to fly. Plenty of power in stock trim. Climbs easily and is as steady as a rock. The plastic fuselage is very strong. Fly it yank and bank or with elevator and rudder. Very responsive. Never used more than 50% power for more than 30 seconds or so. Brilliant.

Now for a controversial statement .... I would recommend this for a beginner. Why? Well, I started out flying just over 12 months ago, but due to time and weather constraints, I never got much time in the air. No sweat. No panic. the world isn't going to end yet!

My first glider was a HK Mini Swift, and that was very flighty. Not good for a beginner at all in hindsight. It was cheap though. :-)

So, ever the next 8 months I bought an AXN, a Bixler, a Bixler 2 and a Minimoa. As you'll notice they got bigger as I progressed. They are all in one piece too. No major crashes.

So, when I got the AXN, my skills got better, but it was still a little bit flghty for learning. The Bixler was much better, and I learnt much from this plane. The Bixler 2 is slightly bigger again, and a little easier to handle. The Minimoa is an odd bird; enough said there. I think i'll leave until I have honed my rudder/elevator skills some more. It needs them.

The first time I threw the Phoenix in the air I was astounded how easy it was to fly. It was amazing.

Anyway, enough bull for now.

Really glad I bought the Phoenix. Looking forward to flying it again and again. And for the price, an absolute bargain!

Mike
I love this plane also,all stock except the esc. I just ordered the minimoa what you think about it ? Seems it needs some tweaking to be flight worthy,but i like the looks of it. I aslo fly a diamond 2500,now there is a glider worth the money !
Apr 20, 2013, 03:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfwd
I love this plane also,all stock except the esc. I just ordered the minimoa what you think about it ? Seems it needs some tweaking to be flight worthy,but i like the looks of it. I aslo fly a diamond 2500,now there is a glider worth the money !
Hi fastfwd

The Minimoa is an interesting plane. Likes lots of elevator and rudder input. Wallows a lot. But it is an old design, and less "sporty" than the newer ones. I like it; it's just different.

I drilled the spinner and prop holder as recommended, other than that, nothing else.

Mike
Apr 20, 2013, 02:10 PM
Camber down and screw it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelTDM900
Well, I've heard of people flying EP sailplanes like this, but I had never actually seen it until now.

Sailplanes (aka gliders) such as the Phoenix 2000 fly really well even without power! Matter of fact, that's what they were designed for. The motor was just an afterthought so you wouldn't have to lay out a winch or a hi-start. You should try it sometime. Get some altitude, and then (gasp) shut off the motor!!!! Eeeek! You're not going to fall out of the sky!

When the sun heats the ground, it does so unevenly. Dark areas warm up way more than light colored areas. Because of this uneven heating, you get air currents, warm air is lighter than cooler air, so it rises. The down side is - cool air is heavier than warmer air, so it sinks. Your job, as a sailplane pilot, is to find these rising currents of warmer air, and linger in them (I mean, your sailplane). You can circle around in them, or fly back and forth across them, or whatever. On the flip side, if you get caught in one of those sinking patches of cool air, you need to scoot! Get away from there!! Trade some altitude for airspeed and just GO!

All kidding aside - you can fly your Phoenix however you want to. But the real challenge in flying a sailplane is to fly as long as you're able without using the motor. (except to get to altitude, of course). Try it sometime! It's fun, and can be quite challenging.

BTW, I meant no offense whatsoever in this post. As I said, you can fly however you want to. But your video shows you just motoring around, never getting above 30 meters off the deck.

<- disclaimer.
--
Greg
Apr 20, 2013, 07:12 PM
Just returned from the maiden(s). I like this plane! She is bone stock other than some packing tape for protection on the leading edges and one long strip on both top and bottom for added strength. I will be changing out the ESC with a trusted one and a separate SBEC since this one gets too warm for my liking. Successfully launched and landed 5 times and my 1600mAh battery still was showing 64% capacity! Didn't get to try the flaps since the winds picked up to an uncomfortable level for my first day of flying this bird (somewhere in the 8-12 mph range is my guess). Will try again tomorrow, the weather is supposed to be calmer
Thank you to all who have contributed information and encouragement here, you are the reason I chose this plane and I could not be happier!
Ben

Quick Reply