Thread Tools
Feb 26, 2013, 05:32 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximilionalpha
You're using this plane for FPV??? I hope the best for you with that, bro! This is not a glider that is made for FPV'ing. It's already heavy enough, without any added weight. Doesn't thermal all that well and once it's out of control, it's out of control! Keep us posted!
LOL I love this plane ! it is the lightest one i have,turns on a dime,and floats forever. maybe you need some them reading glasses ?
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Feb 27, 2013, 01:43 AM
Flaps are mandatory
Flahultarn's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustflynow2
at the root is 200mm at knee 190mm and about 120mm at 50mm from tip. Tip radius starts at about 100mm from tip and measures 140mm. it's a bit hard to measure in that area, but thereabouts.
Thanks a lot! I'm trying to figure out how much the wing connection mod described earlier will do for the wing load and if it's worth while building a bit of wing area to get a few more dm2. Will start flying as it is though

BTW, seems like my bird will show up with the mailman today=) and I accidently happen to have a day off from work
Feb 27, 2013, 03:27 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flahultarn
Thanks a lot! I'm trying to figure out how much the wing connection mod described earlier will do for the wing load and if it's worth while building a bit of wing area to get a few more dm2. Will start flying as it is though

BTW, seems like my bird will show up with the mailman today=) and I accidently happen to have a day off from work
one thing ,on the tail assembly where it meets the fuselage i had to get it centered on fuse then use a touch of glue to hold it there,otherwise it has a tendency to move around while in flight
Feb 28, 2013, 01:06 AM
Flaps are mandatory
Flahultarn's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfwd
one thing ,on the tail assembly where it meets the fuselage i had to get it centered on fuse then use a touch of glue to hold it there,otherwise it has a tendency to move around while in flight
Ok, thanks for the tip! I will check the fit and see if it is firm. Some here have glued the tail in place to have it secure but I'd prefer having it loose for transportation I think.

It looks really nice, now waiting for the motor and some more things to be delivered. I was thinking initially to reinforce the nose with glass fiber on the outside and a firmer motor mount inside but that's probably overkill.
https://static.rcgroups.net/forums/a...g?d=1346306121
This look really nice though. If it works with the motor I ordered, this is the way I'll go.
Feb 28, 2013, 02:59 AM
The Sequel
mustflynow2's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flahultarn
Ok, thanks for the tip! I will check the fit and see if it is firm. Some here have glued the tail in place to have it secure but I'd prefer having it loose for transportation I think.

It looks really nice, now waiting for the motor and some more things to be delivered. I was thinking initially to reinforce the nose with glass fiber on the outside and a firmer motor mount inside but that's probably overkill.
https://static.rcgroups.net/forums/a...g?d=1346306121
This look really nice though. If it works with the motor I ordered, this is the way I'll go.
I use a strip of double sided tape to hold the vertical stab in place plus screws.
How are you setting yours up, what motor combo? I don't think any permanent fixings are required. I use a 4 mm ply and 1.5 mm fiberglass ic board sandwich to hold things in place. Am pulling 600 watts with 13x6.5 on 4s. No issue to speak of. Leaves me open to easily change motors for a different set up.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=2732
Feb 28, 2013, 04:29 AM
Flaps are mandatory
Flahultarn's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustflynow2
I use a strip of double sided tape to hold the vertical stab in place plus screws.
How are you setting yours up, what motor combo? I don't think any permanent fixings are required. I use a 4 mm ply and 1.5 mm fiberglass ic board sandwich to hold things in place. Am pulling 600 watts with 13x6.5 on 4s. No issue to speak of. Leaves me open to easily change motors for a different set up.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=2732
So you don't think it's necessary to strenghten the motor mount that much? Well, I assume it's the heat that is threatening and I think the motor will stay cool, I'll use this one, Tgy D2836 XP kv1100 with a Plush 40A ESC and probably 9-10x6 or something like that, on 3-cell. I'll have to reverse the motor shaft but that can be handled. The motor is on its way, but I think I regret the kv choice I made, should have gone with the kv950 instead to swing a slightly bigger prop. We'll see how it works.
I have another of these motors, the D3530/kv1100, and I'm impressed of the performance. Stays cool even at heavy load.
Mar 01, 2013, 06:48 AM
Registered User
Hello.
Today one more flight, everything fine, but i canīt set the break on esc.
I will buy another esc and probably a motor.
What you think about this set?
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html

Will the 30 amp esc will work or it will be best to buy the 40 amp?

Thank you.
Mar 01, 2013, 08:25 AM
Closed Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by craposo
Hello.
Today one more flight, everything fine, but i canīt set the break on esc.
I will buy another esc and probably a motor.
What you think about this set?
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html

Will the 30 amp esc will work or it will be best to buy the 40 amp?

Thank you.
How to set brake on Phoenix 2000 glider (2 min 40 sec)
Mar 01, 2013, 09:33 AM
Registered User
I think it was the first thing i tried, beeps in mine are diferent.
Have tried everything i found but nothing works, the worst thing is that today i landed in grass and when i pick up the plane the engine was still trying to turn, i lift it up and i did turn one time and stoped, i guess if i landed it very far away maybe i get a burned motor.
Mar 01, 2013, 11:18 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by craposo
Hello.
Today one more flight, everything fine, but i canīt set the break on esc.
I will buy another esc and probably a motor.
What you think about this set?
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html

Will the 30 amp esc will work or it will be best to buy the 40 amp?

Thank you.
this motor will bolt right into the mount http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...tor_750kv.html

and i got this esc with the program card,works great http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...-50-Amp/Detail

and program card http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...ard-for/Detail
Mar 01, 2013, 02:52 PM
Fly, crash, glue. Repeat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by craposo
Have tried everything i found but nothing works, the worst thing is that today i landed in grass and when i pick up the plane the engine was still trying to turn, i lift it up and i did turn one time and stoped, i guess if i landed it very far away maybe i get a burned motor.
If that's what happened then your problem is throttle calibration, not the brake setting. Sounds like your ESC doesn't know the min and max throttle values.
Mar 03, 2013, 09:35 PM
Registered User
HoosierGuy's Avatar
Been doing other things this winter (first R.C. car and shooting) but a few days ago I got out my Phoenix Evolution and worked on it more to get it ready for spring. Ailerons are on now and work. Motor seems to run good. It might get to fifty degrees next weekend so I just might fly for the first time in a few months. It's really lite after I ripped off all those LEDs that were on it. The plastic mount that goes over the two wings is a problem though, one holes is stripped out. So now I'm going to use a larger screw. This glider has been through hell and back and I'm sure it will still fly next weekend.
Mar 03, 2013, 10:20 PM
remotely sensitive
woodenshoe's Avatar
Glad to have you back Hoosier.. It's called the Phoenix for a reason.. never dies.. rise up from the ashes!!
Mar 03, 2013, 11:06 PM
How close are those trees?
Goody63's Avatar

Maiden


Well maidened mine on the weekend.

Stock standard except for changing out the rudder/elev for HXT 900s, adding flaps and installing a Turnigy 40amp ESC.

Also installed a for Hitec Sensor/GPS.

Gotta say it flew beautifully but it sure lacks performance with the stock electrics and a 1300 3S.

Very tempted to upgrade the motor already also because it gets real hot even with just a few climbs.
Mar 04, 2013, 12:19 AM
The Sequel
mustflynow2's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goody63
Well maidened mine on the weekend.

Stock standard except for changing out the rudder/elev for HXT 900s, adding flaps and installing a Turnigy 40amp ESC.

Also installed a for Hitec Sensor/GPS.

Gotta say it flew beautifully but it sure lacks performance with the stock electrics and a 1300 3S.

Very tempted to upgrade the motor already also because it gets real hot even with just a few climbs.
Yep, depends just how light you want to keep in, I use the 750kv red motor mentioned by fastfwd above, when he says it bolts right in, it actually uses 25mm centres compared with 16mm centres for stock, but yes a 35mm outrunner will go in easily enough. I go with 4s and 13x 6.5 etc. so some extra weight, although I must say I flew last night in very calm conditions and with a few mm of camber it cruised so nicely, without too much sink. I had forgotten how quietly it would fly, usually in windier conditions I am throwing it about. There is plenty of info back through the thread on my setup, have had many flights without issue. brendan
Got a pic with your gps in?


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Ohhh noo, 2nd flight on the HobbyKing Phoenix 2000 KillerCut Electric Sailplanes 20 Jun 22, 2016 07:23 PM
For Sale HK Phoenix 2000 glider blk822 Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 4 Aug 23, 2011 07:21 PM
Discussion Still having electric problems with my hobbyking Phoenix 2000, Crashvideo kyrkbymannen Electric Sailplanes 3 Jul 09, 2011 07:34 PM
Discussion hobby king Phoenix 2000 EPO Composite R/C Glider doomracing Electric Sailplanes 3 May 31, 2011 10:09 PM