Apr 20, 2019, 11:23 AM

P2000 V2 wing set???

Hi there P2000 guys.
I have both V1 and V2 versions as you will already know from my earlier posts on this thread.
I have been in touch with HK about the possibilities of getting a spare wingset for the V2. it seems this is not possible according to HK James. Nice Guy! i have asked him to find out Why.
The V2 fabrication design and wing stiffeners are far superior to the V1 in my opinion. Also the flying performance is far superior to that of the V1.

I am playing with a modification on one of my V1 fuses to accommodate the V2 wing set. I wrecked my V2 fuse a wee while ago, so decided to make a Hybrid using a V1 fuse and the V2 wing set. This flies and thermals vey well. I just need to tidy it up a little.

Any thoughts on how we can get some P2000 V2 wing sets, please????
Go With the Flow
Bruce
Last edited by Baustin; Apr 21, 2019 at 03:43 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 21, 2019, 03:54 AM

P2000 V2 Wing set???

Response from HK

James (HobbyKing Support Centre)

"Apr 20, 15:53 EDT

Hi Bruce,

The issue is availability of replacement parts provided by the manufacturers and suppliers. We can only offer parts that are produced and made available to us to list on our website. Sometimes those parts are made in limited runs of production, or discontinued altogether.

Let me know if there is anything else we can help you with."

Well guys there you have it.
I wonder whether HK is interested in motivating the supplier to supply spares???
I can't believe that I'm the only customer looking for a spare wing set? Well.........maybe I am?
The manufacturer has the moulds, so press the button and run an extra shift for wings???
I notice Banggood does the ARTF kit as well as the PNF. HK only offers PNF.
I used to like HK, but something has changed in the last 18 months.
Anyway, I'll stop bitching and get out and do some flying.
Go With the Flow
Bruce
Apr 21, 2019, 06:51 PM
"its not a hobby its obsession
Hey all me pal just got a v2 phoenix .. flies great ..
Dan's Phoenix 'Boadicea' (3 min 30 sec)
Apr 25, 2019, 04:18 AM
There's a lot of pages to sort through, so please forgive my asking: what are most people using for motors (power), props, and servos? I'm getting back into the hobby after 5 years off and just ordered a Phoenix v2 kit. Thanks for any info!
Apr 27, 2019, 03:31 AM

P2000 motor

I'm using Propdrive 28 36 1000 coupled with the stock 10x6 folding prop.
I use the same motor for my P1600, P2000 V1, P2000 V2, HK ASW 28 all with the stock 10x6.
I am generally using max 10 second bursts to gain some altitude and sniff around for lift.
Hope this helps
Go With the Flow
Bruce
Apr 27, 2019, 04:51 AM
That's great, thanks for the info! I'm thinking of going with a Rimfire motor that's closer to a 2836 than the 4xxx that comes with the PNP version.
May 04, 2019, 03:40 AM
Suspended Account
What's a good setup for the Phoenix 2000 kit from HK? I would want something on the sportier side if possible.. Or is this plane just not at all designed for power and speed? I didn't realize this plane was so old.. Recently got the Ranger 1600, and have an SK3 3536 1400kv and 60a ESC in it. Not really a slow floater, but fast and climbs like a rocket... So, can the Phoneix be set up similarly? Thanks..

ps - Also, what - 4S - lipo?...

pps - I see it's out of stock at HK EU or UK, but Banggood EU has it. Does anybody know of a BG discount code?

EDIT - to streamline....

1.) What's a good motor, ESC, prop, and 4S lipo setup for speed and power?
2.) Does anybody have a Banggood discount code?
3.) Is this a plane which stands up well to taking the wings off and putting them back on all the time?

Thanks...

Yet another edit(sorry..):

I see the original version kit is still available at HK for €65. Looks like the PNP V2 would cost exactly double that, with Paypal fees etc.., from BG EU. I have plenty of servos, ESCs, and motors laying around already... I'd buy a new motor though if there is an optimal one.... Is the V2 vastly better?
Last edited by Herrsavage; May 04, 2019 at 04:05 AM.
May 04, 2019, 06:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrsavage
What's a good setup for the Phoenix 2000 kit from HK? I would want something on the sportier side if possible.. Or is this plane just not at all designed for power and speed?
Its not really designed for speed and power but that doesnt mean you cant make it a lot hotter if you really want.
Im building a hotter version for fpv and inav for better climbing performance swinging much bigger props, I havent flown it yet but I've managed to squeeze a Turnigy propdrive 4238 750kV in mine. You wont be able to fit anything much bigger than a 42 diameter motor in the nose. and at 169g achieving CG will take a bit of work too.
I've had to remove the rear plywood servo tray and install the servos much further into the tail mounted directly to the fuse. Phoenix Ranger style to free up the cavernous space under and behind the wing.

4 or 5s Lipo choice and capacity is still undecided, its a work in progress that I really need to get back to finishing.

If you want a faster aerobatic glider I think you are going in the wrong direction though. What you have already will most likely trump it in every area.
Last edited by Ari33; May 04, 2019 at 06:27 AM.
May 04, 2019, 06:33 AM
Suspended Account
OK, thanks. It doesn't absolutely have to be super fast. I was just thinking, mostly for rocketing up, then cutting throttle and gliding. And maybe the fast low flyby... Mostly though just using what I have. I would be willing to buy a more sensible motor for it though.

I have a spare SK3 3542 1250kv or 1185kv motor laying around, in addition to old stock Parkzone warbird motors, F-27 2000kv motors, etc...

Anyway, I'd be open to a basic stock setup for floating around while flying sitting in a lawnchair too, as a change-up to what I normally fly... I'm mostly just intrigued by flying something bigger - and cheap.

Is the ASW28 V2 a good alternative? It's in stock and cheaper at HK, for just under €100 PNF...

(The Phoenix looks better for camera placement.... And just better in general to me....)
May 04, 2019, 08:36 AM
If you go with P2K, get the V2 version. It has the click mechanism in the wings.Very easy to assemble and disassemble for transport and storage.
The stock motor and Esc is pretty decent for what you want to do with it in my opinion.
As always if you want to fly it like a hotliner, then it is going to disappoint you.

Regards,
AeroR
May 04, 2019, 09:03 PM
Warbird nut
Hey Herrsavage. I have seen folks fly the 2000 like warm liners but they are not really designed for that without a few modifications. You have possibly read about the weaker areas of this model multiple times in this huge 700+ page thread. If not then a quick summary of areas in need of work (as noted in this thread), and solutions provided in this thread are as follows;

1. Foam (built-in) hinges are okay for gliding but have been known to fail under load (warm liners) and some have failed just from use over time. Solution - reinforce with tape or cut control surfaces off and add hinges.
2. Some have reported that the firewall has failed as it is quite thin and will not withstand serious loads or heat without some reinforcing. Solution - reinforce with glass cloth or sandwich firewall properly with ply. Other solutions are listed early in thread. (Many have not had this problem)
3. Bottom of rudder below horizontal stab has no hinge and therefore is quite flexible yet this is where the control horn sits. Solution - Add a hinge or reinforce with tape. I strengthened my rudder with glass cloth to stiffen this area up. Works well for me.
4. Stock motor and ESC have been used successfully but only for quick squirts of power to gain height. Stock prop possibly too big for stock motor thereby causing overheating issues - Solution - Replace motor and ESC (many are using the Turnigy 2836 1000KV and 40 amp ESC with a 9x6 folding prop) or use the stock motor but replace stock prop with a 9x5 or 9x6
5. Stock clevis are of low quality. Many have used them without issue (with fuel tubing to hold tight) and others have had the pin break in them. Solution - replace stock clevis with better quality units. (many have had no issues with their clevis)
6. Some have had wing failures toward the trailing edge area where there is no rear spar. Caused by repeated bumpy landings over time I guess - Wings flex downward a bit when fuse bangs on ground. Solution - I added a carbon spar to the rear of the wing - note that I made mine a permanent one piece wing and glued the extra spar in.
7. Many have to mount their 3S batteries (2000MAh) under or partially under the servo tray to get correct CG. This could be even more of an issue with a 4S battery (depending on MAh) and may require installation even further back under the servo tray unless you mount the tail feather servos in the rear of the fuse.

These areas I have listed are concerns raised by people in this thread and are not necessarily my opinions. I love the model as many do. Some folks will say that some of those issues are not a worry and that is fine because they may have not experienced these concerns. These are just some problems I have summarized from this thread and I hope it helps you and others new to this fantastic model.

It is also worth noting that many or most of these issues appeared in early versions of the kit and may have been overcome in production with later kits of the original Phoenix design. I can't be sure as I have the original model. And of course there is the V2 version that is now available which may have fixed all of these issues???

Maybe the 1600 version would make a better warm liner but it too has similar issues for some modelers. All of the above can be dealt with of course and the guys in this thread have overcome each of these concerns.

I have strengthened the bottom of the rudder on my 2000 by laying some glass cloth in place on both sides. The only pic I have of this mod shows just the first bit of cloth in position before the water based resin had even set.
Last edited by Sopwith1; May 04, 2019 at 09:35 PM.
May 05, 2019, 01:43 AM
Suspended Account
Thanks for all the insights.

Right now it looks like HK only has the ASW28, for just under €100 PNF, or the Phoenix 2000 - old version - ARF, for €65. I think Banggood has the Phoenix V2 PNP for €125 or so. All prices shipped.

I really don't need this plane to be a fast warmliner or anything. Just want something big and floaty to mess with. I just tend to like more power than not enough... I recently maidened my Ranger 1600 for ex., but had read that the stock motor was a bit weak, so now I have gone and - maybe way.. - overpowered it... I may need to alter that setup eventually.... In any event, this is not a plane or type of plane which would be high on my list of preferred fliers in my hangar. Just something cheap to mess with. Something bigger and cooler than my Easystar II basically..
May 05, 2019, 02:58 AM
I have the old V1 version and use a motor 'CX-M3536-09-KV910' with the original prop.
The motor weight is 105 g and it was stated to have 550 W.
With a 3s 2200mah battery and around 28 amps I get a climb rate of around 10 m/sec

Reinhard
May 05, 2019, 02:59 AM
Chasin' that Neon Rainbow
Have you looked at the Radian? I believe it is more 'floaty' than the Phoenix. Phoenix is more a sloper and the Radian a thermal bird.
Yes, I have both so my opinion is from experience. That is why I built a new wing for the P2k (V1) so it was better for thermals.
I also fitted a Radian wing to it and performance was greatly improved. The Radian wing is undercambered hence the better performance. I swap them over now and again just for fun.
May 05, 2019, 05:04 AM
Suspended Account
I imagine a Radian costs twice as much though....

Quick Reply