Feb 05, 2013, 12:15 AM
Epilepsy Awareness
Quote:
Originally Posted by quitcherbitchen View Post
I put a 10x5 Zinger wood prop on my Super Cub with a RCTimer 1120 Kv 450 motor and it was so powerful it ripped off the firewall. Luckily it was low it fell out of the air like a rock. Check you firewalls if you have an old airframe with tons of power.
Dang...was that hot glued??
to remove ads between posts
Feb 05, 2013, 12:38 AM
We Begin bombing in 5 Minutes
The stock glue. 3 year old airframe and hundreds of hours of abuse. Easy fix. May strengthen it or just GG it back on.
Latest blog entry: Freewing V2 Me 262 revival
Feb 05, 2013, 02:34 AM
Tally Ho Chaps!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bstansbu View Post
Finally joined after much lurking in this Super Cub mod thread. I learned a lot and it gave me the confidence to mod mine.
-bigger wheels front and tail
-aileron mod
-480 Eflight Brushless
-Orange Reciever from Hobby King
-ESC 30AMP hobby King
-10,6 prop
Parkzone 1800 3S battery
Nice one Stan, and welcome to the thread.
I am particularly interested as to how the ORANGE Rx performs.
I have the 610 Rx that I have just installed but have yet to maiden.
I did some ground range tests some time back and it seemed ok, but those tiny stubby antennae don't fill me with confidence. I am going to buy the satellite unit for reassurance.
Which Unit did you buy, they do three different 6 ch now.
Feb 05, 2013, 04:23 AM
Me a long time ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chompwat View Post
I did some ground range tests some time back and it seemed ok, but those tiny stubby antennae don't fill me with confidence. I am going to buy the satellite unit for reassurance.
I have quite a few of those Orange RXs in my models some with the satellite add ons.
I like them so much that I have been selling my Spektrum RXs on eBay, and buying the orange ones with the proceeds. 2 orange for 1 Spektrum sort of thing.
I have not had any problems with them. As for the 'stubby' antennae, that is the required length for the frequency. Don't try to lengthen them.
Feb 05, 2013, 04:32 AM
Tally Ho Chaps!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flypoppa View Post
I have quite a few of those Orange RXs in my models some with the satellite add ons.
I like them so much that I have been selling my Spektrum RXs on eBay, and buying the orange ones with the proceeds. 2 orange for 1 Spektrum sort of thing.
I have not had any problems with them. As for the 'stubby' antennae, that is the required length for the frequency. Don't try to lengthen them.
Hi Pops,
I know it's probably difficult to say, but are the satellites a worthwhile additional expense?
I originally bought mine for a balsa scratch job I have on the go, but have robbed of all its electrics in order to go brushless on the cub.
I rigged a mock up last summer which I ground tested to about 1500ft range with the 610.
Any idea of the differences between 610, 615 & 620 models., all are 6 channel full range Rx.
Feb 05, 2013, 05:55 AM
Me a long time ago
Quote:
Hi Pops,
I know it's probably difficult to say, but are the satellites a worthwhile additional expense?
I originally bought mine for a balsa scratch job I have on the go, but have robbed of all its electrics in order to go brushless on the cub.
I rigged a mock up last summer which I ground tested to about 1500ft range with the 610.
Any idea of the differences between 610, 615 & 620 models., all are 6 channel full range Rx.
I have only ever bought the 610, and the ones I have the satellite add on are in my gliders.
It just gives me extra confidence as I fly them higher than the SC.
Have you visited HK UK department in Ipswitch?
Feb 05, 2013, 06:08 AM
Tally Ho Chaps!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flypoppa View Post
I have only ever bought the 610, and the ones I have the satellite add on are in my gliders.
It just gives me extra confidence as I fly them higher than the SC.
Have you visited HK UK department in Ipswitch?
It's less than 3 miles from my house but is just a stock warehouse, as far as I know there is no retail counter.
I bought a HK wattmeter from an online dealer in Doncaster, I missed the delivery and had to collect it from Parcelforce, a 30 mile round trip,to find that it had come from 3 miles up the road.
I'm looking to order some stuff from HK, I've never bought directly from them before. It will be interesting to see how those very attractive usd prices convert to sterling.
Thanks for the Orange info. I'll try it without the satellite. They are so light and compact.
Those others are upgraded, 615 has dual antennae, and 620 has serial bus servo connectors and fail safe.
Feb 05, 2013, 08:58 AM
Quote:
I use the orange receiver in my Alpha nitro and have never had an issue. I had FM rcvr in it at first and lost reception and crashed. After that I went 2.4ghz and never looked back. I think I paid 6$ for the orange receiver. You can't beat that. I don't have the satellite version.

Ben
Feb 05, 2013, 09:27 AM
Tally Ho Chaps!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bstansbu View Post
I use the orange receiver in my Alpha nitro and have never had an issue. I had FM rcvr in it at first and lost reception and crashed. After that I went 2.4ghz and never looked back. I think I paid 6$ for the orange receiver. You can't beat that. I don't have the satellite version.

Ben
Between yourself and Flypoppa I've been reassured to the point I'm happy to give the 610 a go without the satellite. The Rx will be velcroed to the inside edge with the antenna wire facing down. This will still be within the confines of the body. Where have you guys mounted yours?
Feb 05, 2013, 09:37 AM
Me a long time ago
Mine is mounted on the side of the fus above the 2 servos. I have a full house on mine. 6 servos in total.
Feb 05, 2013, 11:22 AM
Yo fellers:0
The satellite receiver does not improve range.

But, if the RX signal is blocked by a component. The further away you get the greater that angle of blockage becomes.

Check out the lemonRx advertised on this site. Especially if doing lightweight builds.
Feb 05, 2013, 12:13 PM
Me a long time ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by wopachop View Post
Yo fellers:0
The satellite receiver does not improve range.

But, if the RX signal is blocked by a component. The further away you get the greater that angle of blockage becomes.

Check out the lemonRx advertised on this site. Especially if doing lightweight builds.
That is why you mount it clear from other electronic bits.
What Lemon RX?
Feb 05, 2013, 01:58 PM
I've always had full confidence in my 610, but now that they've brought out the 615 for "true diversity" and the 620 for "full range", kinda makes me wonder....
Feb 05, 2013, 01:58 PM
The Lemon RX is the Taipei answer to the HK Orange RX. Pretty simple receiver with no case. Priced same as the Orange.
Feb 05, 2013, 02:32 PM
I bought a bunch of the lemon RX's. Its cool cause they sell one version with no pins. You can solder the wires directly and save a bunch of weight. The extra wire and plastic connectors really add up.

When you are trying to save every gram possible. For a superCub build its not very critical.

Quick Reply