Nov 15, 2010, 07:28 PM
Rock Chalk Hawks!!!!
Hootch's Avatar
By the way, I just started a new job a couple of weeks ago at a company that makes composite aircraft parts. There is enough material in one of their trash cans at the end of the day to keep me in carbon fiber for the rest of my life!
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Nov 15, 2010, 07:43 PM
In the 20' glider range
anti-gravity's Avatar
Luck!
Ag is in the House yall! hahah
Nov 15, 2010, 09:17 PM
Registered User
It's nice that Horizon Hobby is thinking ahead about future planes, but I think they need to do a lot better job of getting their planes out when they say they will. Remember the Super Cub LP BNF from last year, where the shipping date kept slipping from Nov 09 until it actually shipped in March 2010? The new "UMX Beast" and others have been sliding their shipping dates this year. That is really annoying. I don't think they realize just how much they are ticking off their customer base. I want to get a certain Horizon Hobby plane for my grandson, but I just can't trust them to deliver when they say they will.
Last edited by Scarface26; Nov 15, 2010 at 09:23 PM.
Nov 15, 2010, 09:44 PM
What's tomorrows forecast?
coinworker's Avatar
Still on board... Thanx Arsondave for keeping it alive. This is the group of guys that got me addicted to rcgroups and has kept my super cub in the air and flying. it would be a shame to see this thread be a problem for the site. Just had to let everyone know and say thanks... again.
Nov 15, 2010, 10:17 PM
No Guts, No Glory!
HuffDaddy's Avatar

Viva los Super Cub!!!


Viva los Super Cub!!!
Nov 15, 2010, 10:39 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by girmann View Post
Anyone else see this from Horizon Hobby in their inbox this morning?

"We have several projects we are working on, including a high powered clipped wing HobbyZone Super Cub mod we are planning on offering as a kit. The prototype is a riot to fly. We'll have more news soon."

Is this new news, or am I just behind the times?
oh great just when I'm screwing up the courage to build a NACA4415 wing w/ailerons too.
Nov 15, 2010, 11:03 PM
Philippians 4:13
I love my Super Cubs!
Nov 16, 2010, 12:13 AM
old pilot
Ickarusmelt's Avatar
Guys, we owe a huge accolade to those who are making our SC fun possible:

Dave, thank you so much for your work organizing the SC threads so SC freaks can find what they need. It is priceless.

Thanks oodles to Jim and Jim and the admins who give us this wonderful way to share info.

Huge thanks to the HZ guys who designed and produced the SC, such a wonderful trainer that can be modded for all the wild stuff we do with it.

And thanks to all the orangutans who hang out on this thread, keep us entertained and up too late, and show us how to stretch the SC envelop

SC forever

Icky
Nov 16, 2010, 05:37 AM
Screw the wind, let's fly!
Naval Warfare's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowdive View Post
i don't agree that they are a waste of time. they are either too small to be effective or you need more weight in the plane to "feel" the difference. for hinges, try control horns. bases attach to wing and flap. link together at the hole furthest out from the base. kind of makes it a slatted flap. there do seem to be flap hinges out there, though i haven't spent much time searching. this thread has a good picture of one and also designs to make your own.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=627233

check out the first picture in post #3. i suspect the two control horns would work about the same...
your 1st two sentences sound conflicting.But, this can be cleared up by answering this question...

Did you install flaps on yours?

Here's the hinges I'd use.That is, if I wanted to waste my time

http://www.sonictronics.com/xcart/pr...=16168&cat=321
&page=1
Get your airliner up yet?
Nov 16, 2010, 05:58 AM
Screw the wind, let's fly!
Naval Warfare's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hootch View Post
By the way, I just started a new job a couple of weeks ago at a company that makes composite aircraft parts. There is enough material in one of their trash cans at the end of the day to keep me in carbon fiber for the rest of my life!
Oh you poor man.We'll expect great things from you now..

Quote:
Originally Posted by girmann View Post
Anyone else see this from Horizon Hobby in their inbox this morning?

"We have several projects we are working on, including a high powered clipped wing HobbyZone Super Cub mod we are planning on offering as a kit. The prototype is a riot to fly. We'll have more news soon."

Is this new news, or am I just behind the times?
Got a link to it?
Nov 16, 2010, 11:28 AM
raz
raz
Sportin my new 'do'
raz's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ickarusmelt View Post
Guys, we owe a huge accolade to those who are making our SC fun possible:

Dave, thank you so much for your work organizing the SC threads so SC freaks can find what they need. It is priceless.

Thanks oodles to Jim and Jim and the admins who give us this wonderful way to share info.

Huge thanks to the HZ guys who designed and produced the SC, such a wonderful trainer that can be modded for all the wild stuff we do with it.

And thanks to all the orangutans who hang out on this thread, keep us entertained and up too late, and show us how to stretch the SC envelop

SC forever

Icky


You sure got that right Icky.

I am really anxious to see the new HP clipped wing SC when it comes out! I may have to get another SC yet.
Nov 16, 2010, 12:02 PM
Registered User
lowdive's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naval Warfare View Post
your 1st two sentences sound conflicting.But, this can be cleared up by answering this question...

Did you install flaps on yours?
a heavier plane is faster which means greater affect from the flaps. not enough to overcome the extra speed but you're more likely to see some result from the deflection. if, however, they are simply made larger you are creating a lot more drag. add a proper hinge and you get more lift along with the drag (creating a larger wing) and lower stall speed.

i have the cessna wing with flaps/ailerons built into it. haven't used it yet. i have taped card stock to the battery door (connected to a servo) and have been successful using it as an air brake (opens 45 degrees). its surface area is around 4 times greater than any of the flaps i've seen added to a supercub. so... more surface area is needed to make flaps work. the air brake keeps it mellow in a dive.


Quote:
Here's the hinges I'd use.That is, if I wanted to waste my time

http://www.sonictronics.com/xcart/pr...cat=321&page=1
awesome! when i can, i'll get some of those. the back and down movement should work much better.


Quote:
Get your airliner up yet?


have had too much crap going on (seems like forever now) and have had no place to work on it. especially now with holidays approaching. i've been living vicariously through your videos.
Nov 16, 2010, 03:37 PM
strawcuter
Subscribed.

Super Cub with Floats &

Super Cub with big wheels

Bob
Nov 16, 2010, 05:12 PM
Rock Chalk Hawks!!!!
Hootch's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naval Warfare View Post
Oh you poor man.We'll expect great things from you now..
There will be some things. I don't know about great....but there will be some things.
Nov 16, 2010, 08:42 PM
slowest builder ever
Checking into the new SC thread.....now to find my batterys....I hate moving.


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Ultimate HobbyZone SuperCub Help Thread (part 3) ArsonDave Beginner Training Area (Aircraft-Electric) 33164 Nov 14, 2010 11:35 PM
Discussion Ultimate HobbyZone SuperCub Help Thread (Part 2) guapoman2000 Beginner Training Area (Aircraft-Electric) 1102 Jul 03, 2008 11:34 AM
Discussion Ultimate HobbyZone SuperCub Help Thread (part I) TheDustyPagan Beginner Training Area (Aircraft-Electric) 8442 Apr 19, 2008 08:23 PM
The Ultimate Slow Stick Help Thread - Part 4 Martin Hunter Beginner Training Area (Aircraft-Electric) 824 May 31, 2004 01:00 AM
The Ultimate Slow Stick Help Thread - Part 2 Martin Hunter Beginner Training Area (Aircraft-Electric) 565 Feb 17, 2004 10:35 AM