Aug 07, 2019, 05:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madcaper
I want to use 1 carbon part. Diameter outside 7mm and inside 5mm. Lenght should be 750mm.
And I think I will fix it like the guy in the video. But on TOP not on bottom of the wing.

Thanks a lot

I will keep you updated
A 1 piece reinforcement with the stock dihedral, and using tubes, is difficult. You will find that the length of your reinforcement stick is limited by the wing thickness, as it will insert at top of wing in the central section, then gradually move towards the bottom. Once you reach the bottom, that is all the length you can have.

I found some fairly wide but thin strip like 30 mm x 2 mm. I cut this so as to match the horizontal section over the fuselage in the middle, with the outboard parts matching the dihedral angle. This worked very well.
However, my source for those flats is out of business. I've seen some sheet which is very wide but not as long as the previous strips on Amazon they should work even better.
Good luck
Last edited by Grup; Aug 07, 2019 at 05:50 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 13, 2019, 06:47 AM
Real Time Recon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ty_horn
It has been a looooooooonnngggg time since ive flown any of my planes... Probably 3 years. Ive had the Champ out a couple times since then but none of the larger ones. The good ole Super Cub did not disappoint yesterday. On this one i still have the original brushed motor and no ailerons. This plane used to be my aerial photography platform before drones even existed in the consumer world. Those were the good ole days. 😬 Here she is flying over water yesterday. I put 5 packs through her. (All of which are about 5 years old) They did surprisingly well.
Hey stranger.Yes those were the days I still have the ole bird
Haven't had it out since registration was mandatory .Maybe someday I'll take it out
Aug 15, 2019, 09:41 PM
Philippians 4:13
Quote:
Originally Posted by realtimerecon
Hey stranger.Yes those were the days I still have the ole bird
Haven't had it out since registration was mandatory .Maybe someday I'll take it out
RTR!
Great to hear from you. Yeah thats about the last time i flew anything too! Ive been getting the itch for it recently though. Ha
Aug 25, 2019, 10:29 AM

Oops!

I've posted before how with the CG a bit aft, the HZ Super Cub will do a spectacular flat spin that is only recoverable by adding power. I've found this to be true with the stock wing, and also with the stock wing with added ailerons, and also with the stock wing modified by adding a spar and removing nearly all the dihedral, as well as adding ailerons.

Anyway-- silly me, I accidentally flew my battery down to an extremely low voltage. Coming down in a flat spin-- oh cr**, the motor won't run at all. Spinning, spinning, spinning-- from well above 1000' up, all the way down to the ground, drifting away from me in the light wind the whole time. It disappeared behind some distant trees. Aargh!

Well I did a few things right. I had a good gunsight-lineup between my position, a distant utility pole, and the place where the plane disappeared. Rather than immediately starting to walk toward the plane, I put my transmitter down at the exact spot I was standing, then went and found something else to mark the spot.

Then I drove some roads with my transmitter in hand-- started getting telemetry hits on the plane-- reported altitude was zero, suggesting it wasn't hung up high in a tree-- reprogrammed my transmitter to constantly announce the RSSI (signal strength) value so I could monitor signal strength-- homed in on some areas where the reception seemed strongest-- but after about 15 minutes the reported voltage was dropping lower, lower, and then telemetry was lost. Ok, no more opportunity to get any help from telemetry.

Went home, got my handheld GPS, went back to flying site, dropped waypoints at the exact spot I was standing when the incident happened, and at the distant utility pole, projected a line connecting those two points and extending beyond, saved it as a "route" so it showed up on the screen, also marked waypoints where I had the strongest telemetry hits-- should give a pretty good idea where the plane is--

Well, due to lots of trees and lots of fenced-off private property, I didn't actually find the plane till many hours later, but there it was, essentially safe and sound, very close to my projected sightline, and also very close to the area of maximum RSSI before contact was lost. About 1/4 mile away from where I was standing when I lost it. The cameras had saved the video too.

Note to self-- don't fly till batteries are nearly exhausted, if you need the motor to recover from a spin! Ditto if you want to make maximum use of telemetry to help locate the plane if it gets away from you!

I'm usually not that hard on my batteries anyway-- most of my packs end up lasting a long time-- but I got carried away with something and wanted to extend the flight to capture a certain event on the aerial video, so I abandoned my usual precautions and pushed it way too hard-- not such a great idea
Last edited by aeronaut999; Aug 26, 2019 at 06:32 PM.
Aug 25, 2019, 01:34 PM
How I learned to love the Bomb
You got lucky. Like the RSSI tip. Might keep that trick in case I ever have that problem
Latest blog entry: HK B-17 landing gear mod
Aug 25, 2019, 06:49 PM
Why so serious?
Quote:
Originally Posted by quitcherbitchen
You got lucky. Like the RSSI tip. Might keep that trick in case I ever have that problem
I love happy endings.
Aug 26, 2019, 04:19 PM
BANDITRCN28
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500GENE
I love happy endings.

You didnt specify what kind of happy endings Gene....
Aug 27, 2019, 03:21 PM
Why so serious?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvoyles
You didnt specify what kind of happy endings Gene....
I like living on the edge.
Sep 22, 2019, 07:33 PM
DFS#000178
Okay, quick question.

I picked up an old Super Cub DSM with a DX4e. In the images it looked to be in good shape but when I picked it up it was pretty beat up.

Oh well. I have a mint original (red decal) Super Cub from way back and I'm trying to teach a buddy to fly. So I swapped the electronics from the Super Cub DSM over to the old original. Couldn't have been simpler.

Problem is, with the DSM brick, I get almost no elevator throw. Whether it's on high or low rates the elevator throw is almost non-existent. If I move the elevator to the Ruder channel for instance, I get full throw.

What's up with this? Is this a known issue? I've tried a different servo and like I said if I move the existing servo to a different channel I get full throw. It seems to only effect the elevator channel. Is this a bad brick?

Edit: Seems to be an issue with the DX4e. I bound the plane to my old DX6 and I get full travel out of the elevator. I'll just let my buddy use the DX6.
Last edited by Rampage; Sep 22, 2019 at 07:55 PM.
Sep 23, 2019, 02:52 PM
Why so serious?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampage
Okay, quick question.

I picked up an old Super Cub DSM with a DX4e. In the images it looked to be in good shape but when I picked it up it was pretty beat up.

Oh well. I have a mint original (red decal) Super Cub from way back and I'm trying to teach a buddy to fly. So I swapped the electronics from the Super Cub DSM over to the old original. Couldn't have been simpler.

Problem is, with the DSM brick, I get almost no elevator throw. Whether it's on high or low rates the elevator throw is almost non-existent. If I move the elevator to the Ruder channel for instance, I get full throw.

What's up with this? Is this a known issue? I've tried a different servo and like I said if I move the existing servo to a different channel I get full throw. It seems to only effect the elevator channel. Is this a bad brick?

Edit: Seems to be an issue with the DX4e. I bound the plane to my old DX6 and I get full travel out of the elevator. I'll just let my buddy use the DX6.
I have an old dx5e here and it has a high/low rate switch. Does the 4e have anything like that? Sounds like the elevator rate is set low.

Carry on.
Sep 25, 2019, 08:23 AM
Sure, I can fly after sunset!?
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeronaut999

Well I did a few things right. I had a good gunsight-lineup between my position, a distant utility pole, and the place where the plane disappeared.

Went home, got my handheld GPS, went back to flying site, dropped waypoints at the exact spot I was standing when the incident happened, and at the distant utility pole, projected a line connecting those two points and extending beyond, saved it as a "route" so it showed up on the screen, also marked waypoints where I had the strongest telemetry hits-- should give a pretty good idea where the plane is--
Well done!

I used the handheld GPS method to find a lost Radian half a mile away!

I found a lost X-Vert in a subdivision next to a park using a related method. After searching in futility for hours, I mentally lined up a couple reference points then went home and printed out a Google map of the area. I then drew lines from the baseball diamond I flew from to the reference points. Using the map, I searched within that area and quickly found my X-Vert
Sep 26, 2019, 11:01 PM
Epilepsy Awareness
aeronaut999, Dude, well done on the recovery. Holly cow, you should become a surveyor 
Sep 30, 2019, 06:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBee
It says you have to get it upright and motionless within 5sec of plugging in the battery. That's pretty tough to do as it's hard to get plugged in all the way and the hatch shut,and upright and motionless that fast! On this flight I DID notice the control surfaces were not centered after I waited a bit after setting it down,and it did it's control surfaces twitching thing.. I threw it in the air anyway. Maybe that threw things off and it didn't know what level was? Oh...and I fly it with the DX4E that came with it. I fly all my planes with that transmitter.
Sorry for the way back post, but I found on the helos and such that had these (way back when), after it initializes, you can turn it any way you want without issue. I seem to remember my helos had a little flutter when they got themselves set. So I would just set them down and connect the battery (in or out of the holder) - then wait a bit for the flutter - then pick it up and get everything situated. Made things a bit calmer. I only have the older cubs with only the old sky-ground sensors (just thinking of getting back into flying again) but you might be able to do the same thing with the newer SAFE stuff.

v/r,
C-F

Quick Reply