May 13, 2014, 12:20 PM
Thanks so much mike
to remove ads between posts
May 14, 2014, 02:07 AM
Fly the Big Sky!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper3377
Another silly question. How fast can i charge the standard cub batteries. They are 11,1v 1300 mah. I have been charging at .6 A but was wondering if i could charge faster. What is the general rule
Thanks
Jeff
The general rule is that today's modern betteries can be charged at 2c. So a 1300 mah would = 1.3 at 1c, 2c = 2.6 amps. If you are charging in parallel with multiple batteries just add the "mah" of all batteries together and multiply by 2 to charge at 2c. I charge 4 batteries at once. My batteries are 2200 mah. So 2200 *4 is 8.8 amps @1c. In the field I charge at 2c, 2200mah *4 = 8.8 * 2c = 17.6 amps for 4 batteries. Some batteries indicate the "c" rating at which they can be charged at. In the field I charge at 2c, at home 1c since I am not in a hurry to fly.
Last edited by bansheerider; May 14, 2014 at 02:17 AM.
May 14, 2014, 06:09 PM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
My Gens Ace 1300's are 5C rated, but I limit it to half that... maximum... usually 2C if I'm in no rush.
May 14, 2014, 08:12 PM
Wow have i ever been charging my batteries slow. Thanks Guys
May 15, 2014, 02:45 AM
Me a long time ago
Quote:
Wow have i ever been charging my batteries slow. Thanks Guys
Yea but they will last much longer.
May 15, 2014, 12:01 PM
Epilepsy Awareness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flypoppa
Yea but they will last much longer.
He was attempting to charge a 1300mah batt at .6 AMP. At that rate his battery would last a lifetime

Mike.
May 15, 2014, 12:11 PM
Epilepsy Awareness
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_of_49
My Gens Ace 1300's are 5C rated, but I limit it to half that... maximum... usually 2C if I'm in no rush.
Battery companies are in the business of selling batteries (correct me if i'm wrong). With that in mind, IMHO, these companies over rate their batteries (so i've been told many times). Why? So you will UP the charge rate. Why? So when your battery sheeets the bed, you buy more.

I have always charged at 1C. Believe me or not but, I still have an Esky (2S) that is still in service after 6 years and takes a full charge and flys nice. Can anyone else make that claim?

Mike.
May 15, 2014, 01:14 PM
We Begin bombing in 5 Minutes
Just my opinion, but the charge rates seem to hardly make a difference on battery longevity. I have cheap batteries that crap out after one year and I have not so cheap batteries that lasted more then 3 years. None have been charged over 1c. So what I am saying is if you treat even the cheapest battery well --it will crap out soon. My friend regularly charges his at 2c and reports the same as me. My nano tech and turnigy all last about a year. My Thunder Power and Eflites are all 2-3 years old. I just threw away some Parkzones 1300 that were 3 years old. I just bought some Pulse which came highly recommended. So far two of the four didn't balance on the first couple of charges. Not encouraging. I have GenAce and they are great. Always balance and always hold their charge. Problem is Always out of stock. Frankly, the Nanotechs were so cheap that their lasting one year each hasn't completely turned me off. I suppose once one craps out mid flight it might change my tune.
Latest blog entry: Freewing V2 Me 262 revival
May 15, 2014, 02:07 PM
Me a long time ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012
He was attempting to charge a 1300mah batt at .6 AMP. At that rate his battery would last a lifetime

Mike.
At .6amp (600ma), it would take a lifetime to charge.
May 15, 2014, 08:13 PM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012
Battery companies are in the business of selling batteries (correct me if i'm wrong). With that in mind, IMHO, these companies over rate their batteries (so i've been told many times). Why? So you will UP the charge rate. Why? So when your battery sheeets the bed, you buy more.

I have always charged at 1C. Believe me or not but, I still have an Esky (2S) that is still in service after 6 years and takes a full charge and flys nice. Can anyone else make that claim?

Mike.
Mike, the Gens Ace have a great reputation (also rebranded as as Glacier)... on par with Thunder Power for performance and charge cycle longevity but at a fraction of the cost which is why I use them exclusively. They've also been known to actually under rate the capacity of some of their lipos. I noticed something interesting when I first began using their 2S 5000mah 40C and did some Googling and found out that it was common knowledge that this battery is actually closer to a 5500mah than its marketed 5000... which explained my observations.. That 5C charge rating is actually a fairly conservative spec now compared to some current generation lipos (neverthless, I still only charge them at half that rate at the most.. they're still going strong two years later). RCG member turboparker (Joel) often discusses the crazy charge rates of some of the current gen lipos he's using over in the UMX CC thread... he meticulously documents his battery usage and has figures to back up that they are in fact living up to these particular manufacturers' claims, even after a significant number of charge cycles. Battery chemistry is part of what he either is or was doing for a living, he's more knowledgeable than most when it comes to this stuff...when I have some time, I'll send you some links to some of the posts.
May 15, 2014, 09:17 PM
Blurry Iriot
Wow the cub is a beast now.......... NTM3530 1100kv turning an apc11x5.5E using 2x1800mah 3s zippys in parallel through a turnigy AE65 speedy, pulling 29A WOT @320W
May 15, 2014, 09:47 PM
Charging my batteries at .6 did take a life time. Close to 2hrs. Ouch . So looking forward to a faster charge . If it ever stopped raining I could use up one of those batteries to see the difference
May 16, 2014, 12:27 AM
Epilepsy Awareness
Quote:
Charging my batteries at .6 did take a life time. Close to 2hrs. Ouch . So looking forward to a faster charge . If it ever stopped raining I could use up one of those batteries to see the difference
You won't see any difference. A charged lipo is a charged lipo. As long as you check the voltage after charging. It should be the same.

Mike.
May 16, 2014, 12:29 AM
Epilepsy Awareness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benagen
Wow the cub is a beast now.......... NTM3530 1100kv turning an apc11x5.5E using 2x1800mah 3s zippys in parallel through a turnigy AE65 speedy, pulling 29A WOT @320W
What is your ESC rating?

Mike.
May 16, 2014, 09:48 AM
Mike
Are you saying it wont charge any faster at 1.3 compared to .6. I think im missing something here
Jeff

Quick Reply