Jun 30, 2012, 10:43 AM
I make metal smaller.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdl View Post
thanks. i'll go the silicone route - feeling too lazy to do more than required
I hear you
the silicone is basically the same stuff it comes with from the factory. I like it because its pretty strong but not to the point you have to destroy the plane if you have to replace a servo.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 01, 2012, 12:48 AM
http://www.sgvhumane.org/

update

minor reinforcement of landing gear, trimming, and fixing of esc and rx remain. but she's pretty much done. the 480 e-flite has bearing issues. something i don't want to mess with at this point. slapped on the sensei's unknown brushless motor for now. lets see how she does.
Jul 01, 2012, 05:41 AM
Sure, I can fly after sunset!?
Just a tip.

Use hot or boiling water to straighten the fuse and remove crushing damage. Works great. There is a you-tube video out there showing how to do it.

Hot Water Trick, Foam RC model repair.wmv (6 min 55 sec)
Jul 01, 2012, 06:14 AM
Me a long time ago
I bought a small steamer to repair the dents and crushes in foam. I have yet to use it on any models.
Jul 01, 2012, 10:10 AM
Bit of a long post coming. I bought a Super Cub back in March as my first foray into RC. Should have probably taken some lessons, but was going to figure this out myself. First two outings, had about 3 min of flying, and an hour of repairs after crashing each time. Third outing my nose dive into the ground required a new fuselage.

Once I got it back together, decided to put it on the shelf for a while and try a different tact. After doing some research on the forums, I found the Hobbyzone Champ and picked one up at the LHS. Was able to have immediate success with this plane, hard to imagine a better aircraft for a trainer. After several months of flying the Champ, finally felt up to trying out the Super Cub again.

I flew it for the first time since rebuilding last night, and was able to handle it! Flew at neighborhood soccer fields, was able to do rolling take-offs from the sidewalks. 3 good flights before LVC, and was able to land the last one with minimal power. I've basically pinned my early issues on two things, one, as a brand new RC pilot wasn't ready for the speed of the SC, and two, my initial flying field where I tried to fly was too small for the SC.

An observation on flight characteristics, possibly resulting from my re-build. At full power, the SC wants to go almost vertical, even with full down elevator trim on the DX4E. I set the rod connector initially so that the elevator was level with the horizontal stab. Even at half-power, I have to keep some up pressure on the stick to keep the SC from nosing up. Is this likely a CoG issue, or trim? I need to test the CoG, but given the fixed location of the battery, motor and electronics in the SC fuse, I wouldn't have thought it could be that far out.

Mark
Last edited by mwoneal; Jul 01, 2012 at 01:51 PM.
Jul 01, 2012, 12:05 PM
We Begin bombing in 5 Minutes
More like an incidence thing. A Champ would need the leading edge of the horizontal tail raised up to lower or make more negative incidence into the tail. The way the Champ is made I am not sure how easy that would be. With the Super Cub it is an easy mod just add 1/8 inch under the leading edge of the Horizontal tail and screw it back down.
Latest blog entry: Freewing V2 Me 262 revival
Jul 02, 2012, 09:54 PM
Quitcher, that makes sense, will give it a shot. Trim did not seem like the answer for the amount of nose up I was getting.
Jul 03, 2012, 12:31 PM
Me a long time ago
I have added split flap and ailerons to my cub. I have yet to flight test them when the weather allows.
Here is a video of a test of them
Hobbyzone Supercub with split flaps and ailerons (1 min 52 sec)
Jul 03, 2012, 12:48 PM
Tally Ho Chaps!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwoneal View Post
I bought a Super Cub back in March as my first foray into RC. Should have probably taken some lessons, but was going to figure this out myself. First two outings, had about 3 min of flying, and an hour of repairs after crashing each time. Third outing my nose dive into the ground required a new fuselage.
Been having similar experiences myself. I'm also thinking of going the Champ route myself. Does anyone know if a BNF version is available to use the Spektrum Tx that came with the Supercub.

Chomps
Jul 03, 2012, 01:22 PM
We Begin bombing in 5 Minutes
Chomps
I don't think it comes bind n fly, but your transmitter will work. Just be aware that every time you bind the Champ you will have to rebind the Cub if you want to fly it. That has been my experience.
Latest blog entry: Freewing V2 Me 262 revival
Jul 03, 2012, 01:28 PM
Not true. I used my Spektrum DX5e to fly both my Champ and Super Cub before I bought my Spektrum DX6i. The TX stayed bound to the RX of both planes, you don't have to rebind the plane, but, you do have to re-trim each plane after you fly the other. That gets a bit tiresome after a while, hence the reason I bought the DX6i.
Jul 03, 2012, 01:38 PM
Tally Ho Chaps!
Thanks guys. Sadly we pay almost the same in pounds as you guys pay in Dollars in the US. So the Champ comes in at almost £80. Still if it worked for mwoneal it may be worth the price.
My Supercub fus snapped just in front of the tailplane on it's last outing and it spends a couple of hours on the bench for every few minutes in the air.
Jul 03, 2012, 03:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chompwat View Post
My Supercub fus snapped just in front of the tailplane on it's last outing and it spends a couple of hours on the bench for every few minutes in the air.
found this on an rcuniverse post (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7698388/printable.htm)
Here are a few that I've done or read about:

- Engine cowl cracks - line inside of it with packing tape

- Saddle in fuselage where wing sits gets worn by wing moving fore/aft - reinforce forward and aft sides with wood or hard plastic

- Top of wing gets worn by rubber bands - reinforce with packing tape

- Battery box comes out of fuselage - glue in place with guerrilla glue

- Aft fuselage (just aft of where control rods come out to go to rudder/elevator) breaks clean off - reinforce with packing tape

- Reinforce leading edge of wing with packing tape

- Replace difficult to remove and breakable plastic struts with something better (some use CF rod embedded in wing and don't use struts, I used fishing line with snap swivels to replace the struts)

- Fuselage breaks at corners of main opening under wing - reinforce with packing tape

- Landing gear bends back easily - reinforce with braces running aft to fuselage

- Prop breaks - build a prop saver (old prop hub with screws in in, and then use rubber bands to hold new prop on the front of it so it can be pushed back without breaking)

- Some cover entire wing, or even fuselage too, with packing tape

I use 5 minute epoxy for most repairs, guerrilla glue if it's a repair that needs some filler, foam safe CA/superglue for quick repairs.

did quite a few of these and my cub is very resilient.your mention of the tail break reminded me of it. i use packing tape for my reinforcements and it works great.
Jul 03, 2012, 03:43 PM
I make metal smaller.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdl View Post

I use 5 minute epoxy for most repairs, guerrilla glue if it's a repair that needs some filler, foam safe CA/superglue for quick repairs.
Guerilla glue....Is that the kind that runs through and gets on everything then disappears?
Jul 03, 2012, 04:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endlesslag View Post
Guerilla glue....Is that the kind that runs through and gets on everything then disappears?
LOL
yeah you remove it using Government Troops Acetone

Quick Reply