Jun 01, 2016, 05:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwp2
Yes, Not the Original (red) or the SCLP (blue). I have 3 of the blue LPs, one heavily modified with the Eflite Park480 motor and aluminum motor mount we are discussing here. One is stock with the exception of lights and Stinson wheels(bigger for better grass landings). The other is still in the box and has never been put together.

The HZ Super Cub and the Champ are two of my favorite planes to fly next to the PZ Wildcat.
As a matter of interest what prop are you using with the Eflite Park 480 motor. I have a very similar setup and trying to get the motor & prop combo sorted. Any help would be appreciated.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 01, 2016, 08:49 PM
I'm using the 9.5x7.5 with a 40 amp esc.
Jun 01, 2016, 08:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Sargent
I've just gotten lazy. I like the Apprentice S, Sport Cub, Tundra and upcoming Timber so much more than doing mods on the Super Cub. Instant gratification.

Anyway, there have been no takers for the free motor mount. It is going into my aluminum scrap pile.
Oh, I'm plenty lazy! lol. I did these mods a few years ago.
Jun 02, 2016, 02:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwp2
I'm using the 9.5x7.5 with a 40 amp esc.
Thanks, I will give that a go.
Jun 07, 2016, 09:55 AM
OK, 2nd time out with my Super Cub S. I used up 3 batteries with about 8 minutes flying each. Wind gusting a little quite high up but no real problems, I have started getting smoother in the turns & better at landing, gliding in real slow & dialing a little up elevator in the last few seconds. When on the last battery I flipped to intermediate & then expert a few times & even managed a couple of loops, I'm trying hard to stay calm & not to over do things to early !!
Now all you experts out there, what should I do with the batteries in the following instances :-
(a) Probably not flying for a few days :-
Recharge them now ready.
Leave them as they are & Recharge them just before flying.
Storage charge & then Recharge them just before flying.
Also is it best to Balance Charge each time or is there no need !

(b) The same questions when not flying for a couple of weeks.

Finally how long is it recommended to leave them before needing to Storage Charge !
Jun 07, 2016, 12:08 PM
I used to re-charge immediately, so that I would be ready to fly. But apparently that's not advisable for long battery life. So, I started putting batteries on storage charge unless I was going to fly in the next 2 or 3 days.

I have a battery alarm set to a voltage that is close to the storage voltage, so the time for a used battery to get to storage voltage isn't much time-if I've used the battery.

I don't let them sit more than a day after using before I start the storage voltage process

Regards
Jun 08, 2016, 01:48 AM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR

discharging to storage voltage faster than what most smart chargers are capable of...

For discharging to storage fast, I recently bought 2 of these. Am looking forward to trying them

http://www.myrcmart.com/rcx-3in1-bat...ng-p-4767.html

There's an RCG discussion about it somewhere which is how I discovered it.
Jun 08, 2016, 04:25 AM
We Begin bombing in 5 Minutes
Thanks for the link North. I wonder how much faster then a regular storage charge on a charger?
Latest blog entry: Freewing V2 Me 262 revival
Jun 09, 2016, 02:12 AM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
Quote:
Originally Posted by quitcherbitchen
Thanks for the link North. I wonder how much faster then a regular storage charge on a charger?
I was trying to find the dedicated discussion on it right after I posted that last night, but didn't come across the actual one I was looking for. But I know who started the discussion and I'll maybe contact him, I think it was buried in another thread rather in one of its own.

Just finishing up a week of 12 hour shifts but should have some time to look into it on the weekend (might even get rained out tomorrow).I seem to recall that it tops out at maybe a 4 or 5 amp draw, but that's significantly higher than my two smart chargers can do (don't quote me yet on that figure).
Jun 09, 2016, 06:26 AM
aka: Scott Ellis
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_of_49
I was trying to find the dedicated discussion on it right after I posted that last night, but didn't come across the actual one I was looking for. But I know who started the discussion and I'll maybe contact him, I think it was buried in another thread rather in one of its own.

Just finishing up a week of 12 hour shifts but should have some time to look into it on the weekend (might even get rained out tomorrow).I seem to recall that it tops out at maybe a 4 or 5 amp draw, but that's significantly higher than my two smart chargers can do (don't quote me yet on that figure).
It says 150 watts in the link, which would be nearly 12 amps for a 3-cell. In theory, anyway. That does seem like a lot.

I saw the thread you're thinking of, or one similar. Seems like this doo-dad was well though of.
Jun 09, 2016, 08:02 AM
We Begin bombing in 5 Minutes
12 amps is way better. Find out and get back. I am sure the slowness of the regular chargers is to help preserve the battery life, but who has all day.
Latest blog entry: Freewing V2 Me 262 revival
Jun 22, 2016, 05:57 AM
Lower AL
Father's day flight with the Seagulls that came from no ware, think they are juveniles. Winds 10 with gusts over 18mph.
Hobbyzone Super Cub Cut Wing Aaron Bessant 19Jun16 (6 min 53 sec)

Cut flattened wing with ailerons, PZ T-28 480 motor with APC 9x6 prop
Jeff......
Jun 22, 2016, 12:34 PM
Closed Account
Nice video
Jun 22, 2016, 11:46 PM
Closed Account
I have all the parts to build another Super Cub airframe wise that is

I have thought about doing one and installing ailerons and a brushless set up

I do not think i will cut the wing to make it flat....I think I will leave it as is. just cut for ailerons

I would like to know what motor mount and what motor and KV does everyone think is good for this plane and what ESC has others used ?

I am not looking for a rocket, just something to buzz around slow and easy

Love the older stock Super Cub LP and 3 channel....just like to have another one with ailerons

I see Heads Up RC has a motor mount and suggests a 450 sport 1250kv outrunner motor and a 30 amp ESC w/ Linear BEC

What does others say ...any and all advice welcome.

Thanks in advance
Jun 23, 2016, 01:18 AM
I used the following. It flew as well as the stock set up; except it eliminated the gear noise. I set the ESC nestled in the mount, which offset the fact that the mount + motor weighted less than the original setup-to achieve balance.

Your planned mods are exactly what I did to mine. I found that the plane was a little less responsive to aileron than to rudder; which was ok with me. Using both together made it very responsive.

Items and prices:
- Aluminum Motor Mount for HZ Super Cub $15.95 (no need to make your own mount)
- Power Up 450 Sport 1250kv Motor $17.95
- Sky Power 30 Amp ESC with Linear BEC $14.95
- APC 9 x 4.5E Propeller* $2.60

Total: $51.45.
Heads up has a $2.00 shipping charge; and if you are in Florida they charge tax.

http://www.headsuprc-info.com/hobby-...onversion.html

regards

Quick Reply