Nov 14, 2010, 09:23 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Dual Brushless Hydro ?

I already have my dual brushless cat project , but I cant help but wonder about the possible dual hydro. Has this been done, and if so where could I find info on a build like this?
to remove ads between posts
Nov 14, 2010, 09:00 PM
Won't be worth the effort, unless you have a really big hydro hull and gear drive the motors into a single prop.
Nov 14, 2010, 09:12 PM
Thread OP

Thinking a hydro in the 50" range

What typr of gear drive. I take it you could then use the "stock" hardware set that would come with the hydro?
Nov 14, 2010, 09:50 PM
Thread OP
Now this is starting to be interesting already. Why a gearbox and single prop? If you can run 2 counter rotating props on a cat, why not on a hydro? When I take on a project, be it a full blown streetrod, or a rc car, truck, or boat, I dont just push the envelope, I rip it up and throw it away!! Since I already have the 2 new 1700 series NEU motors, I guess at the end of the week I will order the hull from aeromarine and get down to bussiness. I still would llike any and all input, be it positive or negative. I'm just glad that there is a place like this where we can go to share our hobby!!!
Nov 14, 2010, 09:56 PM
^^ I have never seen a twin hydro run well. Even twin outriggers are a huge PITA to get setup right.

Think of the hardware setup on a hydro, you need an offset rudder for it to turn right, and unless you put the props touching, you'll have the rudder in the propwash of one of the props. Also keep in mind the prop sizes you'll need, and if there's a good assortment of sizes in right hand props.

IMO, you'll spend more time and money for less performance with dual props than with a single.
Nov 14, 2010, 09:59 PM
Thread OP

Gear Drive,

What kind of gear drive is out there to couple the 2 motors, and keep the rpms up
Nov 14, 2010, 10:07 PM
I feel the need for speed!
If you plan on using the 1700 series Neu's, you can use one if its a small hydro.......24" or less possibly...............anything bigger and you would need both motors and run one prop.
Nov 14, 2010, 10:11 PM
Thread OP
I plan on using both motors, and a hull size in the 50" range.
Nov 14, 2010, 10:16 PM
Which 1700 do you have? The largest ones only put out 1000 watts.............
Nov 14, 2010, 10:22 PM
Thread OP
I have 2 of the 1717/1y car motors that I plan to sleeve with water cooling. They are 1580 kv with a max of 45,000 rpm each
Nov 14, 2010, 10:24 PM
Redneck Injuneer
The biggest challenge would be to find a real one that's been done. I've read somewhere that there were a few twin drives tried over the years but have never seen one.
I think there may be some problem with the way a hydro handles on twins since it has a "flying tail" so to speak. But hey, if you want to build one, I'll watch.
Just pluggin in.
Latest blog entry: Current Health Conditions
Nov 14, 2010, 10:28 PM
Are you referring to the Castle/neu 1717's?
Nov 14, 2010, 10:33 PM
Thread OP
yea scorp, btw, i might need that dime in this build. Thanks bill, hope that you enjoy yur "corn". You spoke of "redneck injuneerin", think about it, I live in WV where we all have atleast 3 cars up on blocks out by the trampoline, that is if you can see 'em for the grass. lol,
Nov 14, 2010, 10:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kruiser7
yea scorp, btw, i might need that dime in this build. Thanks bill, hope that you enjoy yur "corn". You spoke of "redneck injuneerin", think about it, I live in WV where we all have atleast 3 cars up on blocks out by the trampoline, that is if you can see 'em for the grass. lol,
A dime.......lol................good one. Yep, big motor!

Also isnt there alot of sittin' on porch's, strummin' a banjo and blowin' in a jug?
Nov 14, 2010, 10:42 PM
Thread OP
yep scorp, there is, and drinkin from a jug also, lol, well 430 comes early here, gotta get up and do the work think so I can get my hull, I am going to research this all I can, and any help would be appreciated, but this WILL happen, lol, have a goodin'

Quick Reply