This thread is privately moderated by old_dude, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Nov 12, 2010, 06:08 PM
Groundloop World Champion
Thread OP
Discussion

EP MIRAGE Flys !!

Well, as I've seemed to have done with each of my aircraft, the MIRAGE is over powered at 80 watts per pound . Sure looks as though I have a few high powered inrunners to sell in the near future.

The MIRAGE has flown many times before off a high-start but it's hard to find an area here that is large enough and isn't encumbered by a few airplane magnets (trees you know about those don't ya Jim) or rug rats. So all of my sailplanes are converted to EP power.

The Mirage hand launched with 3/4 throttle and no problems (not too much nose up under power but will mix in a little down-elevator to throttle anyway). It was later in the afternoon and the wind was coming from the same direction as the Sun !! Aaarrgg.... immediately made a slight turn to the right to avoid being blinded. The flight was uneventful.

I checked the effect of lowering the flaps ..not much change in pitch.. just slowed a little. The Mirage is NOT a slow poke floater !! It is a light weight but the airfoil is semi-symmetrical and so it likes to be flown a little faster than a "floater". The Graupner No. 93 spoilers, though comparatively narrow, really pitched the nose down when opened 90 degrees .... woah... more up elevator needed !! I have them on a switch but they really need to be on a proportional channel. I was using my Airtronics RDS8000. I'll have to setup the Mirage on the SD-10G instead.

It was fun. A lot of hawks and vultures cruise in the area. Hope to have one stop by and fly with me some time
to remove ads between posts
Nov 14, 2010, 08:49 AM
Closed Account

response

Robert- I do know about trees (been staying out of) and also about underpowered- the kyosho flash i just launched 3 times for its maiden flights had probably less than 50 watts output per pound. Ended up breaking one folder blades and had to repair the plastic wingtips. The old school am radio with rx/esc will have to be replaced and more cells added- 3 or 4 A123 vs 2. Eventually it would be nice to have a brushless inrunner replacement for the 05 endoplasma- 25mm space between mounting holes and 1/8" output shaft. 3000+- kv- got any?? Pic below of plane taken today- will not fly again until i've got 150 watts + per pound!! cheers jim
P.S. plane looks good. Wish you many fun flights
Last edited by jim e; Dec 08, 2014 at 06:16 PM.

Quick Reply