Nov 11, 2010, 09:36 PM
Thread OP
Question

What do your Coax Heli's travel in?

I would love to be able to take a helicopter or 2 plus transmitter with me to work as I often can come up with 20 - 30 min of free time that I would be able to fly on calm days. My problem is I work out of a service truck and there is no real "safe" place for them to travel as things can bounce around a lot.
So I was wondering what other people do when transporting there smaller heli's, say mcx2 size to 120 SR. I have seen the larger cases for 250 size and up but not sure about modifying them for the smaller Heli's.

Thanks for all input.
Mike
to remove ads between posts
Nov 12, 2010, 03:34 AM
I'm FAMOUS

#VZ01264 Vaultz

DVD Player case!

Thread here.

Come see my HUGE 3-channel Helicopter collection!
http://www.killbuckets.com/copters.htm
Last edited by killbucket; Nov 26, 2010 at 02:47 PM.
Nov 12, 2010, 04:15 AM
Rather Be flying or Tinkering
Quote:
Originally Posted by lerninmore
I would love to be able to take a helicopter or 2 plus transmitter with me to work as I often can come up with 20 - 30 min of free time that I would be able to fly on calm days. My problem is I work out of a service truck and there is no real "safe" place for them to travel as things can bounce around a lot.
So I was wondering what other people do when transporting there smaller heli's, say mcx2 size to 120 SR. I have seen the larger cases for 250 size and up but not sure about modifying them for the smaller Heli's.

Thanks for all input.
Mike
I use the original box the MCX2 and MSR come in.
The box has molded Styrofoam packing plus a handle to carry it.
Nov 12, 2010, 05:38 AM
Fan of just about anything RC
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtravel
I use the original box the MCX2 and MSR come in.
The box has molded Styrofoam packing plus a handle to carry it.
I did the same with my Firespy 3 channel. The other birds don't get out of the house anyway. And if I go on holiday I take my Solo Pro, with alu case of the deluxe combi. Holds heli, TX, batteries, charger and some spare parts in one convenient package. This case bought seperately will set you back almost the same amount of money a cheap 3 channel coax will cost though...
Latest blog entry: For the love of the hobby!
Nov 12, 2010, 05:58 AM
I'm FAMOUS
My case was $17.99 at Fry's Electronics.
Nov 12, 2010, 06:03 AM
Rather Be flying or Tinkering
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloPro
I did the same with my Firespy 3 channel. The other birds don't get out of the house anyway. And if I go on holiday I take my Solo Pro, with alu case of the deluxe combi. Holds heli, TX, batteries, charger and some spare parts in one convenient package. This case bought seperately will set you back almost the same amount of money a cheap 3 channel coax will cost though...
I have large Plastic tote pans with covers that I use for the cheaper 3 channel toy copters.
When I go on Holiday by Car atleast a few of my heli's travel with me
Nov 12, 2010, 07:15 AM
Stupid question here, how do or how would, you guys tranport a Walkera big lama 400? I purchased a 450 helicopter carry case not taking into account that the lama is a coaxial and of course the case won't close. I not fond of the idea of just tossing it onto the back seat along the the transmitter.
Nov 12, 2010, 08:08 AM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Slip
Stupid question here, how do or how would, you guys tranport a Walkera big lama 400? I purchased a 450 helicopter carry case not taking into account that the lama is a coaxial and of course the case won't close. I not fond of the idea of just tossing it onto the back seat along the the transmitter.
Exact same solution that other posters already suggested:

Take the box it came in!! If you don't like that everybody can see its a heli, cover it up.
I actually even kept the outer shipping box to put over the original box for the heli
All commercially offered solution (they do exist individually, but they are not cheap) cost more extra money than feasable (been there, done that ...)
But in particular the Lama400 question just gave me an idea ...

once I figured this out I guess I'll put that on my blog ... but there are sooo many other projects first ... too many helis - not enough time (...or money ...)
Latest blog entry: Random Pictures ...
Nov 12, 2010, 08:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by erdnuckel2
Exact same solution that other posters already suggested:

Take the box it came in!! If you don't like that everybody can see its a heli, cover it up.
I actually even kept the outer shipping box to put over the original box for the heli
All commercially offered solution (they do exist individually, but they are not cheap) cost more extra money than feasable (been there, done that ...)
But in particular the Lama400 question just gave me an idea ...

once I figured this out I guess I'll put that on my blog ... but there are sooo many other projects first ... too many helis - not enough time (...or money ...)

I did consider that, actually, that's how I would carry my Syma 107. I don't like the fact that people can see what I have. Part of it is that a grown man carrying around a toy does not look right lol. The other part is that it's no ones business what I have. I may have no choice though.
Nov 12, 2010, 09:06 AM
Quote:
I did consider that, actually, that's how I would carry my Syma 107. I don't like the fact that people can see what I have. Part of it is that a grown man carrying around a toy does not look right lol. The other part is that it's no ones business what I have. I may have no choice though.
Sure you do, like I said - cover it up. And if you don't have the "transport box" ... I mean the beige cardboard box in which the seller puts the "real" heli box, that is not a problem either ...

People just have to think that teeeny-tiny bit outside the box

The solution to this problem can be found in many designs in your local HomeDepot/Loews ...

(doesn't really fit into my plans ... but maybe I go there anyway today - that way I have a "new and exciting" post for my blog

E2

PS:
@slip:
please do me a favor and measure the Lama400 box, could you? All of mine are where my lama400's are ... in my office ... and its very unlikely I'll get there today (but if I don't, I can't do my "covered op" - not even the prep so I could do it the next time I get to the office ...

PS2:
and as far as carrying around a toy box ... well, its a present for a little kid, if it is so embarrassing (aren't we all kids at heart ?? ..) - plus, now before christmas, not many people will have suspicious thoughts anyway ...
Last edited by erdnuckel2; Nov 12, 2010 at 09:13 AM.
Nov 12, 2010, 09:18 AM
Quote:

PS:
@slip:
please do me a favor and measure the Lama400 box, could you? All of mine are where my lama400's are ... in my office ... and its very unlikely I'll get there today (but if I don't, I can't do my "covered op" - not even the prep so I could do it the next time I get to the office ...
I'll measure the factory box for you when I get home today. I'm just going to wrap my box with something on the outside as that's the cheapest solution right now....................or cut a huge hole on the top of my new 450 heli case lol.
Nov 12, 2010, 09:51 AM
I'm FAMOUS
A Gym bag should work?

Vaultz has a WIDE range of hard cases, you should be able to find one to re-purpose as I did.
Nov 12, 2010, 12:43 PM
Master Of My Universe
This Mobile Hanger cost me 1.
It has two latches on the sides that click lock the lid on.
Approx dimensions - W 9.5" (24cms), D 6.5" (17cms), H 5" (13cms)
You could wrap each heli in bubblewrap depending on how "rough" your ride to work is.

Two options for travel -

1. Three helis (in Mobile Hanger) all working from one transmitter (carried in briefcase).

2. One transmitter on the bottom, two helis lying on their side on top of transmitter.

This fits well in my backpack and no helicopter has ever been damaged in transit
Nov 13, 2010, 10:27 PM
Quote:
@slip:
please do me a favor and measure the Lama400 box, could you? All of mine are where my lama400's are.
Sorry for the delay but if you still need this the measurements of the factory box are as follows: L=28 5/8" H= 11 3/4" W=7 5/16".
Nov 13, 2010, 10:44 PM
Quote:
Sorry for the delay but if you still need this the measurements of the factory box are as follows: L=28 5/8" H= 11 3/4" W=7 5/16".
Pretty "exotic" measurements ...
anyway, no problem about the delay - I didn't get to go to Lowe's or HomeDepot today, so it really doesn't matter. Thanks for remembering it, TS!
Maybe I manage to get there tomorrow - even though this may be a little unlikely, as my regular work week already starts again (weekend is over for me .) but who knows ... if not, the transport box suggestion will have to wait another week ... until Friday which is the next day I can reasonably consider going there ...

I'll keep you guys posted ... here and on my blog ...
E2
Latest blog entry: Random Pictures ...

Quick Reply