Nov 11, 2010, 11:23 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Radical RC Field Box Build Thread

Greetings all, I'm looking for an individual to do a build thread on one of our new field box kits. We have 3 glow kits available and they can be seen on the opening page (Whats New) at RadicalRC.com.

These are our first batch of build kits so I'm anxious to get some feedback.

There are lots of cheap 1 or 2 drawer field box kits out there. However, I've noticed there isn't anything really nicer than 2 drawers. I'm thinking the more experienced pilots will want something with more tool storage and more drawers. We have 3 units complete now, one with 2 drawers and 2 large standing tool racks. A compact sized box with 4 drawers and another with 8 drawers. In the works is a full size footprint box with 10 drawers and a field box for E-flyers which will hold the $25 U1 Walmart battery. Messy field box's with piles of parts and tools in them are the norm. I'm thinking better quality field box's could be a popular thing.

Note, these are kits, not built units. I like to follow the early build threads and use the info to enhance my instructions. Also, any good ideas that pop up could find thier way into one of my future field box kits.

Dave
Radical RC
Last edited by CraftedVM; Nov 11, 2010 at 11:31 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 11, 2010, 05:31 PM
Dave, I looked at these on your site a couple days ago and they are really good ideas. I've got an old single drawer box and really need a couple more drawers, but the Sig Boss types are too heavy.

Your smallest is appealing, but can I put a gallon jug on it? I don't know where to get 1/2 gallon bottles like that, and I use 2 kinds of fuel so have to switch back and forth. I don't use a power panel...I'd probably use that part for the Tx.

I also hesitated about the purple one...how easy is it to get that jug in and out? I do that a lot. But it's a cool design, and since I don't use a power panel, it might work for me.

But it's nice to see some fresh thinking about field boxes. I'm really looking for something lighter than what I have, but with some more space for field repair tools.

Jim
Nov 11, 2010, 05:36 PM
I do usually bring an electric starter and a small sealed starting battery...where would I put those on the purple one?

What thickness of ply? I'm thinking it might not take much to adapt the purple one to my needs.
Nov 11, 2010, 08:02 PM
Thread OP
Actually my first photos are a little over exposed, they are blue and red. The 4 drawer comes with the jug, the 8 does not but is slightly larger so it fits a 1/2 gallon jug or 1 gallon metal can.

I am thinking of making a double fuel tote. Are you two fuels both glow or glow and gas?

The blue one was inspired by a heli pilot that just wanted a fuel and tool tote. They usually us a starter with battery built on.

Since two jugs of fuel can weigh alot, would you prefer seperate tote that just held the two jugs? Would you use a hand pump or electric? Prefer to connect to other field box or want battery on board? Use one electric pump or two?

Dave
Last edited by CraftedVM; Nov 17, 2010 at 02:42 PM.
Nov 12, 2010, 09:10 AM
Dave, thanks very much for all these thoughts and questions (though I'm sure I'm not a typical modeler).

I have fuel with 50% castor oil for my 2 strokes, some of which are older types. But I'm afraid of gumming up push rod tubes on my 4 strokes, so I use Cooper Fuels' mix that has just 5% castor for those. I try to take either one or the other to the field, hence my need to switch bottles in the box. Occasionally I take an extra jug separately. I use one hand crank pump mounted on the box. Each jug has fittings, so I just switch tubes between the two jugs.

OK, hold on, I'll just take some pics; back in a few...

Jim
Nov 12, 2010, 09:16 AM
OK, here's my set up. Drawbacks, besides not being very pretty, are lack of drawer space, clutter of tools, and it's pretty heavy.
Nov 12, 2010, 09:22 AM
The place for the panel/battery is a nice spot to plunk the tx into.

I love the holes for screwdrivers and such on the blue one, though I probably don't need that many, and it's nice to have a box on the top for the battery and starter. That's a small Sullivan...sometimes I swap that out for the large Sullivan. I try to travel light, but sometimes I just don't have the things with me that I need. That's why I'm looking for extra drawers. Also those screwdriver holes keep things organized, plus they are readily available in the shop.

Jim
Nov 12, 2010, 09:27 AM
Hey Dave, I would love to write some reviews and do a build thread for you. I will send you a PM for some details.

As to my thoughts on my field box.

1) History: I am primarily a Glow flier with some electric. On the glow side I fly about 1/2 gallon of fuel per outing in .40 to 1.20 sized glow engines. My current box has a hobbico power panel that is only used to power a fuel pump and occasionally a glow starter.

2) What I am personally looking for: A lighter box. With a 7 Amp battery and a gallon of fuel it is too heavy. I want to convert to a lipo battery for my fuel pump and get down to a 1/2 gallon on the tote. (even a quart will do) The tool storage is my biggest concern. I want to make sure that everything has a home and is easily inventoried by site.

Dave, If you have interest in my help I will get some pics of my current set ups this weekend and post more thoughts.

George
Nov 15, 2010, 03:48 PM
Thread OP
George, I have a friend in Alabama who I float fly with from time to time and he never carrys on the box more than 1/2 gallon. A little more care is needed to be sure you start with a full container each trip. However, you cut about 3.5lbs right there. I've not compared the weight of a 5000 3S lipo with a gel cell but I'm betting there is a couple of pounds there also.

Personally, I have a 10k mah 3S pack under my Kavan starter. My started and battery together weigh exactly the same as a standard stock Sullivan starter (as I remember it was 3lbs). So, quite a savings in weight. I use that battery pack for all other loads like fuel pumping, battery charging and etc.

Yea, post up a photo or two. I think the 8 drawer unit would be pretty good for you from what your telling me.

Jim, Let me do some thinking. I may come up with a unit that is more inline with exactly what you need. The 2 drawer Fuel and Tool is close to your needs but no place for you to put your starter, no top of box storage that you are using. It has a cool tab that will hold your TX if it has any kind of handle. Looks like your starter has a battery mounted to it so you have no need to carry a traditional Gel Cell.

Dave
Nov 16, 2010, 12:17 PM
I really like the 8 drawer flight box. But I would like a long bottom drawer making it a 7 drawer flight box. Plus I like to use a gallon fuel can on the side and not a 1/2 gallon. Can one make the bottom two drawers into one long drawer? Does it work with a gallon fuel can?
OK I looked again that your website and I see if can hold a gallon fuel can. I can see where I can glue the two drawers on the bottom together to make a wider drawer. Anyway, I'll order one soon.

Thanks for the information about it.

My old flight box was built by someone here in Texas way back around 1988. It has just one larger drawer in it. it is getting due to be replaced with a new one here one of these days. yeah it tends to be a bit heavy. I think i only used the plane holder on top for a couple of Spad combat fuelie planes. As they don't have landing gear.

I looked to see if I had ever taken pics of the flight box, but it was only in pics I took of some of my planes.

Last edited by earlwb; Nov 16, 2010 at 12:29 PM.
Nov 16, 2010, 10:52 PM
Thanks Dave, it might be as simple as just a shelf in place of one of the tool grids.

Jim
Nov 17, 2010, 07:31 PM
Suspended Account
Ill second George Toon's Request for light weight ! If I was going to give up my present set up , it would need to be for something lighter .

Nov 17, 2010, 07:53 PM
Low, slow and dirty
I prefer med size and light. I carry a small toolbox(with supplies like: props,tools, glue etc.) seperate from the flight box. I did build a holder for my low wing plane for transport and to work on at the field.

I do like those flight boxes. If had to choose, the one on the right would be my choice.
Nov 18, 2010, 12:25 PM
All, Just as an interesting aside I ran across a small tool box at Costco yesterday when I was shopping for other items. I have to get to the weekend to have time to take pics and find URL links for you guys but the box was 3.99 and about the right size.

I will post more in this thread with more details this weekend.

George
Nov 18, 2010, 01:05 PM
Thread OP
The right most field box is our 8 drawer. It's 4.55 lbs. I weighed it painted with no tools or equipment inside.

We received delivery of our 10 drawer kits from the laser cutter today. I'll see if I can't post up a photo of that one soon. I don't have one with any kind of finish on it yet. Just a couple of prototypes in the shop at this time. I've still got to do the build drawing for the instructions. Won't be long. This is a traditional footprint box for those wanting something bigger than the prior units I've designed.
Dave

Added Note: The 10 drawer comes in at 7lbs pre finish/ pre glue.
Last edited by CraftedVM; Nov 21, 2010 at 12:07 PM.

Quick Reply