Jul 14, 2003, 08:46 AM

3D Fan Fold Ultimate Bipe and 3DX....V2

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...5&pagenumber=1

Is the link to this 3D Extravaganza of a thread started by Tim H..
Don
Last edited by Don Sims; Jul 21, 2003 at 08:41 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 14, 2003, 09:36 AM
FoamyFactory.com
Oh man... I was going for the 2700 post mark... Oh well, start posting here guys. I REALY need to get my 40" UB finished... Uh...Started...

Tim H.
Jul 14, 2003, 12:09 PM

sturdy board ultimate

Hello all,
I finished my ultimate bipe in peeled Wal-mart sturdy board. I have a spruce stick in the fuse and a thin balsa strip on bottom of lower wing. Gws dual 4.8 D with a 12x6 2c pack of E-tec 1200 li-poly. I painted the entire plane with water colors and hinged with CA hinges cut into small strips using white glue. Both top and bottom wing has ale. I use carbon fiber rods to slave them together.

It hovers good, can fly very slow and am getting about 20 min flights. I really like this plane, I don't hover much, just use this one to coast around and do slow laps around the small trees in the yard. Tim you have a winner here. By the way all up weight is 7.9 oz with the battery.
Jul 14, 2003, 12:43 PM
Anybody have the 3DX in motorcalc? What are the parameters if you do. Thanks,
BC
Jul 14, 2003, 04:05 PM

Fan Fold Foam

Any got a source for some In Texas. It is 100 degrees here and no wind any where. I wanna have some fun!

I check my local Home Depot, and couple other places, and no luck!

Donald
Jul 14, 2003, 04:58 PM
FoamyFactory.com
Donald, I know there are several Lowe's in various parts of Texas that carry it. There are lot's of Texas guys building with BlueCor. Not sure exactly where you are, but check Lowe's.

Here is CenTexFlyer's website. http://home1.gte.net/texhills/index.html you might try emailing him. He is near Austin and may have more info for you. Worst case sceario, www.depronusa.com

BC, I have never plugged in the 3DX parameters. I just use it for the power configs. I can get you going tonight though. I'll plug in the numbers when I get home and post them later.

AIMING@U, WOW, 7.9oz. That's great! Fun plane huh??

Tim H.
Jul 14, 2003, 05:35 PM
Team Broke
Tim,
I'll be interested in the AUW of your UB 40.
Mine @ 38.5" with mini AC 1215/16, 8-pack of He Cell 1100 weighed in @ 19 oz.
Let me know if you have any stiffness problems with that big long fuse, I solved mine with balsa.

Jim
Jul 14, 2003, 05:48 PM
Too lazy to repair!
Donald,

I am in Round Rock, Tx (just north of Austin). I found some at Lowes. But, there were only two stacks and they were not labeled with prices. Also, they were not the bluecor stuff. It was made by another company and it is sort of greenish colored. I dragged the bundle up to the register to ask the price. It was $13 and change with tax. Enough stuff to build more than 20 airplanes.

If you can't find it, ask the order desk at Lowes to see if they will get you some. Sometimes they will, other times.....

Joe

P.S. I am not sure where Paris, Texas is (I am assuming it is near Dallas), but if you get desparate and find yourself down here in the near future, PM me and I will give you a couple of sheets.

Joe
Jul 14, 2003, 06:22 PM
I am Paris, Texas...about 110 miles NE of Dallas. I don't have a lowes anywhere near, well about 2 hours. I have a full time job as well as own a hobby store so I have a hard to getting away to drive 2 hours to get materials much less fly.

BTW...just ordered Depron, easier than driving 2 hours for me.

Thanks
Donald.
Jul 14, 2003, 09:41 PM
How do you guys cut a nice channel in the foam? Thanks,
BC
Jul 14, 2003, 10:28 PM
FoamyFactory.com
BC, sorry I haven't had a chance to get the #'s into Motocalc yet. I brought work home with me...

Here is what I do for the channels. Draw a centerline. Then measure out 1/2 of the dia. of the rod you are using on both sides of the centerline. Now you have 3 parallel lines. Lay a long ruler or straight edge along one of the outside lines. Cut at an angle toward the center (don't go all the way through the foam on the other side). Then cut at an angle along the other outside line. Cut at an angle to make a "V" cut in the foam. Then I take whatever dia. tubing I'm using and draw it through the channel a few times. Draw the tube through the channel at about a 30 degree angle and use just the end of the tube. This compresses the foam into the shape of the tube. Makes a very tight and slop free fit for the tube. I took longer to type this than it would to actually do it...

Tim
Jul 15, 2003, 08:23 AM
Too lazy to repair!
Donald,

WOW! You are quite a ways up there. I think you are right about having Depron delivered as your best bet. It is a little more expensive but, based on what I have read here, it is a better material.

Joe
Jul 15, 2003, 10:25 AM
FoamyFactory.com
BC, here is a screen shot of the parameters I use. If you're not using Lipos, use Sanyo AAA720 NiMh for the batteries. I got the Lipo parameters from Dave's website http://www.aircraft-world.com/prod_d...ets/lipoly.htm Scroll to the bottom of the page and download the E-Tec calculator spreadsheet.

Fishdeth, my my 40" UB isn't done yet, but target wt. is 20 oz. or under.

Tim
Last edited by Tim H.; Jul 15, 2003 at 10:32 AM.
Jul 15, 2003, 07:33 PM
EDF Jet Jam 2017, June 15-18
Inspired by you guys work....and since I like to things my way (cheap) I used balsa instead of carbon....it came out too heavy 13.5oz for a mid-throttle hover so I just fly wildly It does a really nice knife-edge but tucks big time. It does everything but hover....not enough power.

It was modelled after the Turbo Raven...I will do another, lighter of course
Jul 15, 2003, 09:21 PM
40%, 5% whats the diff?
shorten the span on that and drill some lighting holes and she will hover!:-D