Feb 18, 2011, 07:49 PM
The pro edf main struts made it almost uncontrollable on the ground. They are weak for this size plane, but the nose is fine. I was able to fit 2 mpi tires on the axle, not that it needs it, just thought I would try it. I did take the drop tank off for the speed runs at the AEF, didn't notice any difference in flight, but I am sure it picked a few mph's w/o it. It was radared at 115 mph.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 18, 2011, 08:06 PM
1.21 Gigawatts!
Is that the actual nose strut? How did you fit two wheels inbetween the fork of the main strut?

Or did you use one of the main in the nose?
Feb 18, 2011, 08:10 PM
Those mpi tires are real thin, and very light. It is the nose strut, I think I may have widend the fork alittle. The tires rub alittle against the fork, but the foam has worn away so that its not an issue. I have the door sitting on the workbench, I have been lazy but I wil get it to work. You can see one of the door hinges hanging down in flight. The door works perfect, but the nose retract stalls alittle when it gets close to fully retracted. The added weight of the door stalls it even more. One problem I wouldn't have with air retracts, but I will get it to work.
Feb 18, 2011, 09:07 PM
EDF addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope1
I did take the drop tank off for the speed runs at the AEF, didn't notice any difference in flight, but I am sure it picked a few mph's w/o it. It was radared at 115 mph.
Thx for the info
What servos are you guys using?
On the elevators I think I'd like to have something not too heavy with metal gears...
Feb 18, 2011, 09:19 PM

elevator servos

I ran the sapac mg micro servos. Very durable and precise. I had used them in my sapac viper for 50-60 flights on the ailerons. Pilot error inverted over the sand dunes did her in. All the servos were fine, so they're in the elevators on the T-45 on separate channels. Nice to dial them in with the radio.
Feb 18, 2011, 10:22 PM
1.21 Gigawatts!
I used Futaba 3102 for Aileron, Hitec HS65HB for flaps, and HS65MG for elevators. I think the Hitech HS82 will fit in the wings as well, but for elevator ir will take some mods.
Feb 21, 2011, 10:59 AM
1.21 Gigawatts!
Mike,

Any trick on mounting the E-Flite nose retract so the wheel is not visible in up position? Do you just add a piece of wood and mount it from the top?

Thx.
Feb 21, 2011, 01:11 PM
Quote:
Any trick on mounting the E-Flite nose retract so the wheel is not visible in up position? Do you just add a piece of wood and mount it from the top?
Add the wood and mount it from the top.
I just completed installing the R/C Lander CMP T-45 retract set in the wing.
This was a very easy project as the retract set includes all of the assorted parts, pieces and hardware required to complete this project. Today I’ll finish up the nose gear.
This robust gear set is very impressive. I purchased my gear here.

http://parkrcmodels.com/product_info...roducts_id=873

X30
Feb 21, 2011, 05:33 PM
Gilbert, AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by X30PILOT
I just completed installing the R/C Lander CMP T-45 retract set in the wing.
This was a very easy project as the retract set includes all of the assorted parts, pieces and hardware required to complete this project. Today I’ll finish up the nose gear.
This robust gear set is very impressive. I purchased my gear here.

http://parkrcmodels.com/product_info...roducts_id=873

X30
They certainly look very stout!
Feb 21, 2011, 05:41 PM
1.21 Gigawatts!
Quote:
Originally Posted by X30PILOT
I tried that, but then the steering arm gets in the way. I must be missing something here.

Those RCL retracts sure look beefy! Beautiful install.
Feb 21, 2011, 05:53 PM
Gilbert, AZ
Remove the steering arm and use pull-pull....
Feb 21, 2011, 06:12 PM
You have to dremel grooves in the wood so the steering arm can swing in the retract rails. Also use longer screws so you can bite the original rails.
Last edited by mpope1; Feb 21, 2011 at 06:28 PM.
Feb 21, 2011, 11:25 PM
1.21 Gigawatts!
Thanks!
Feb 22, 2011, 11:14 PM
Pix from the AEF w/o the droptank during the speed runs.
Feb 22, 2011, 11:23 PM
1.21 Gigawatts!
Sweet! That is a nice shot!

Any trick to keeping that pro-EDF strut on the nose wire? The aluminum is so soft it stripped while I tried to tighten it. Do you just glue it in?

Quick Reply