May 23, 2019, 04:58 AM
Danish? Don't U eat that??
Quote:
Originally Posted by martimer
Always fear Moray eels. They are generally touchy and vicious and happy to take anything you offer - plenty of divers lose fingers to them every year.
Bit like our more locally common Northern Atlantic Wolffish or Seawolf then.
I remember as a kid being shown how the local fishermen handled them if they got one as a bycatch (they make really good eating, but not many people really goes fishing specifically for those beasts here - the Inuit do so in the polar sea, though); if anyone dared, he would grab it by the tail and back of neck and push it's mouth towards the inside of the fishing vessels wooden railing - it would then insctintively "snap" onto the railing, and would only fall off for one of 2 reasons: 1) it was dead and now fairly safe to handle, or 2) It had crunched off the edge of the railing it held on to.......

Apparently, it would be so determined and cramped up on "hooking on", that it actually was possible to gut, clean, skin and decapitate it while it was stuck on the railing(!)
Last edited by DKChris; May 23, 2019 at 05:10 AM.
May 23, 2019, 07:56 AM
Was a lookin fer loomyum foral
Is THIS funny, a Wolf Fish skull ?
May 23, 2019, 09:44 AM
Wow, nice find! I've only ever seen dried up yellowish looking ones.
May 23, 2019, 11:19 AM
CC (Certified Curmudgeon)
Reminds me a bit of the freshwater gar we have around here.
May 23, 2019, 09:03 PM
I first saw a gar with about an 8 inch jaw, bill, beak, or what ever that thing with all the teeth is, it was laying in a puddle, I poked it and it jumped up and tried to bite my hand. Good scare I thought it was dead.
Looks like a Muskie or Pike on steroids. And I see fish hiding in fear when they run. Time to put the tackle back and wait a few days until they are long gone and the bass, crappies, perch, big blue gills etc. are starving.
May 23, 2019, 10:27 PM
CC (Certified Curmudgeon)
I knew a guy that was using a saltwater rig at the local reservoir and hooked a Gar, it fought him for over an hour before he got it beached. I killed with a couple of hits to the head with the starting crank of my 59 Triumph TR-3A.
May 23, 2019, 10:43 PM
I'd rather be flying!
No gars where I grew up on Lake of the Woods on the 49th parallel in MN. However...there are plenty of record-size walleyes & muskies, plus some 100+ lb prehistoric-looking sturgeon hanging-out down in the depths.

Joel
Latest blog entry: E-flite 850mm Pitts
May 24, 2019, 01:08 AM
Redbilly Band Member
I saw a guy drifting for flounder once with 6lb test line when a needle nosed gar grabbed the line. Another gar saw the action and bit the line too. Somehow he managed to get them both in the boat even though neither was hooked.

Oh wait, that was me.
May 24, 2019, 01:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyerinokc
I killed with a couple of hits to the head with the starting crank of my 59 Triumph TR-3A.
Now there's a picture.....
May 24, 2019, 08:51 AM
This photo I found is the average Gar we have around here, looks like an alligator torpedo.
May 24, 2019, 01:48 PM
What a cute widdle fish.

Now this is a man's fish. We caught a number of them years ago in the hills of NW Kansas.
May 24, 2019, 08:06 PM
Not sure if I posted this one before.
May 25, 2019, 02:30 AM
Nice equipment option. Reverse sides for USA cars.

Quick Reply