Thread Tools
Jun 01, 2019, 01:30 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by efflux RC
I see that you found it.

Many Thanks though.
Look, I still have two Phase 3 F16 rested
In storage more than 10 years. Battle proven
But never damaged :-)
Now I have to inspect everything, electronics,
glue, bolts, nuts before putting them back in the air.

These jets are glassed, 460gr w/o battery, 4s 2200 245gr Will make it 700gr AUW. Power
By wemotec pro 5 blade 64mm, medusa 2832 3400kv.

How can I upgrade to wemo evo 9 blade 64mm rotors then ?

.

;-)
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Jun 01, 2019, 07:06 PM
The best in EDF since 2005
Extreme_RC's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by flylow2011
Many Thanks though.
Look, I still have two Phase 3 F16 rested
In storage more than 10 years. Battle proven
But never damaged :-)
Now I have to inspect everything, electronics,
glue, bolts, nuts before putting them back in the air.

These jets are glassed, 460gr w/o battery, 4s 2200 245gr Will make it 700gr AUW. Power
By wemotec pro 5 blade 64mm, medusa 2832 3400kv.
How can I upgrade to wemo evo 9 blade 64mm rotors then ?
You need to find someone with rotor stock first, and you need someone who has the precision gear to machine the rotors down to the diameter you need. (I am about the only one I know of besides wemo) Rotor stock is hard to get, I have plenty of pro 64mm rotors but don't think I have evo, would have to check.

Personally I would put 70mm fans in there, the medusa motors should be able to handle a 69mm wemo evo, the rotors are only 68mm anyway and the medusa is pretty much an HET 2W20 in size and Kv yeah?

Your motors should pull about 60A in a 69mm Evo, putting out 1.4kg thrust, I would imagine 125mph is quite attainable but your batteries are small so need to be careful with WOT. We used to run 2600 4s 45c and even 3200 4s 45c just by opening the width and depth of the battery area a little.

I have Wemo EVO on the shelf, are your motor shafts 3.175 or 4mm? A pair of fans plus shipping to the US will work out to about USD$120 when your bank converts AUD. Rotors with matching spinners are going to cost you about 80 bucks shipped, better off to upgrade and get the benefit of the 69mm size.
Latest blog entry: Extreme RC AUSTRALIA
Jun 01, 2019, 11:18 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme_RC
You need to find someone with rotor stock first, and you need someone who has the precision gear to machine the rotors down to the diameter you need. (I am about the only one I know of besides wemo) Rotor stock is hard to get, I have plenty of pro 64mm rotors but don't think I have evo, would have to check.

Personally I would put 70mm fans in there, the medusa motors should be able to handle a 69mm wemo evo, the rotors are only 68mm anyway and the medusa is pretty much an HET 2W20 in size and Kv yeah?

Your motors should pull about 60A in a 69mm Evo, putting out 1.4kg thrust, I would imagine 125mph is quite attainable but your batteries are small so need to be careful with WOT. We used to run 2600 4s 45c and even 3200 4s 45c just by opening the width and depth of the battery area a little.

I have Wemo EVO on the shelf, are your motor shafts 3.175 or 4mm? A pair of fans plus shipping to the US will work out to about USD$120 when your bank converts AUD. Rotors with matching spinners are going to cost you about 80 bucks shipped, better off to upgrade and get the benefit of the 69mm size.
Thanks for your kind offering and great advise.
These evo fans are rarer than hen's teeth.
That is why I already have two mini Evo 69mm
With Eflite Edf 28mm motor 3200kv, in front
Of my phase 3 F16 in the photo.

Also I have some 69mm rotors back up.
Look, I have a bunch of good old days stuffs too
;-)

Many thanks.

.
Sep 04, 2019, 08:15 PM
flyin' Dude
fastphil_v's Avatar
Hey everybody, somebody just gave me one of these and I am pleasantly surprised to see that it has quite a following. I fly mostly medium sized gas aerobatic planes and warbirds but have been interested in EDFs for awhile now. This one seems to have been built with the recommended mods but never flown and has probably been sitting for 10-12 years. I quickly got it set up with a 6ch LemonRx and 3S2200 battery, balanced in the middle of the suggested range. Only concern is there is some play where the z-bend goes through the servo arms - I think the holes are a little big. Will try to give it a go tomorrow - what could go wrong? Haha
Sep 04, 2019, 08:39 PM
Innocent Bystander
Bobaroo's Avatar
A lot could go wrong !!! Hahahahaha

Seriously, I would check the GlueJoints on everything very closely. The old Epoxy from 10-12 years ago typically used on these builds can fail on you... GL
Sep 05, 2019, 08:44 PM
flyin' Dude
fastphil_v's Avatar
Well, it flew great today with ZERO trim! Had a buddy launch it first time with no problems. Then on my 3rd flight launching it myself I was slow on the sticks and it went in and knocked a wing off. Already repaired with foam-tac so ready to go again. It has some kind of finish (12 yr old) on the wings which is flaking off badly so that on top of a new glue joint it’s not very pretty anymore. I may pull the stickers off and repaint later but for now it’s a nice little jet and good EDF trainer for me.
Sep 16, 2019, 08:33 AM
bps
bps
Registered User
bps's Avatar
My last kit. Now I have 3 flying of this great little design.
Sep 16, 2019, 05:26 PM
The ground is my Enemy!!!
Jose5x5's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by bps
My last kit. Now I have 3 flying of this great little design.
Nice, what setup are you running. Also paint job looks sweet, what paint did you use?
Latest blog entry: New additions for 2014
Sep 16, 2019, 07:11 PM
bps
bps
Registered User
bps's Avatar
It’s covered with Oracal 951 adhesive sign vinyl and painted with Rustolium neon green and then clear coated. The power plant is Freewing 64mm 12b EDF running on 2200 4s. Two 9 gram metal gear servos and the tailerons are balanced.
Sep 16, 2019, 10:16 PM
The ground is my Enemy!!!
Jose5x5's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by bps
Itís covered with Oracal 951 adhesive sign vinyl and painted with Rustolium neon green and then clear coated. The power plant is Freewing 64mm 12b EDF running on 2200 4s. Two 9 gram metal gear servos and the tailerons are balanced.
Looks really nice. After covering in vinyl and then painting, did it add a lot of weight. Also is it hard to apply the vinyl to the curved areas.
Latest blog entry: New additions for 2014
Sep 17, 2019, 05:03 PM
bps
bps
Registered User
bps's Avatar
Paint and covering added about 6 ounces over traditional film covering. The covering is applied in strips 4” wide and will conform to slight curves without heat. Compound curves requires some heat from a trim iron.
Sep 21, 2019, 04:57 PM
flyin' Dude
fastphil_v's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastphil_v
Well, it flew great today with ZERO trim! Had a buddy launch it first time with no problems. Then on my 3rd flight launching it myself I was slow on the sticks and it went in and knocked a wing off. Already repaired with foam-tac so ready to go again. It has some kind of finish (12 yr old) on the wings which is flaking off badly so that on top of a new glue joint itís not very pretty anymore. I may pull the stickers off and repaint later but for now itís a nice little jet and good EDF trainer for me.
Well I will not attempt to spray paint the EPS foam, but I did put some new vinyl on. Most of the original graphics literally blew off after several flights so I raided my wifeís Cricut vinyl stash and came up with this. Will see how it holds over time.
Sep 21, 2019, 05:14 PM
that's gonna leave a scar
KCinNC's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastphil_v
Well I will not attempt to spray paint the EPS foam,
I added some color to my first EF-16 that was well worn.. the spray paint did kinda melt the foam a little. but you could see it in the sky !
Sep 22, 2019, 07:49 PM
flyin' Dude
fastphil_v's Avatar
Kinda has that tie-dyed look ;-)
Yesterday, 10:46 AM
Registered User
Hi everyone,

On an failed takeoff, my bird went into a patch of high weeds. No real damage to the airframe, but one weed stalk got ingested into the fan and destroyed the rotor. Motor and shroud are fine, but the rotor is now nothing but a hub.

I have a Don's 64mm Wicked Power 5-blade setup in it. I don't remember the motor specs, other than it was for either 3s or 4s.

I'm looking for a replacement rotor. I did message Don and he did advise that I need to keep the fan blade count low. I have no problem with that, since at this point I'd rather have efficiency and flight time over sound.

I'm also not a speed freak; this over-painted T-bird needs more low end thrust than top-end speed. (I have another kit waiting to be built, and it'll be much more lightly built.)

Do you recommend getting a new rotor-shroud combo or will just about any 5- blade 64mm replacement rotor work? (I kind of doubt it.)

Thanks for your advice.


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help! Phase 3 Hobbypeople F16- build tips? Smokescreen38 Foamy EDFs 101 Jun 07, 2016 09:53 PM
Discussion Phase 3 - Hobbypeople F16 UPGRADES (cont.) Flying Beagle Foamy EDFs 13 Nov 10, 2010 03:54 AM
Discussion Phase 3 - Hobbypeople F16 UPGRADES ducatirdr Foamy EDFs 11482 Nov 09, 2010 11:05 PM
Wanted Phase 3 F16 body dmize Aircraft - Electric - Jets (FS/W) 0 Oct 01, 2010 10:36 PM
Sold Phase 3 f16 arf NorCal Hobbies Aircraft - Electric - Jets (FS/W) 1 Sep 02, 2010 07:30 PM