Nov 25, 2010, 07:57 PM

Great Idea!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkasochi View Post
I would suggest putting some thin (2 or 3mm) depron over the wiring in front of the fan with a hole cut out for the esc to cool. It will make a huge difference reducing drag over the wires and hot glue. A large styrofoam cup would work well too. It's already shaped for you.

I used a plastic water bottle which I slit from bottom to top and reshaped the diameter to fit right up to the fan lip. I did not cut a hole for the ESC because I have a cooling hole in the canopy. I closed the cheaters about 90% to allow the canopy inlet to exhaust around by water bottle intake and out cheater holes.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 27, 2010, 07:45 PM
Wherever you go- There you are

Ups-2

I just finished my 3rd EF-16. I used the same paint scheme as the last. I used Air Sally's inlet duct, inlet lip, nose cone, tail cone. I just want to say that everything fit like a glove. I can't say enough about his workmanship. I used my existing motor,fan, and ESC. The only damage from the previous EF-16'S crash was to the impeller, a servo wire, and of course the fuselage. I may maiden it tomorrow if the weather permits. I using the E-Flight Delta-15 fan with the recommended motor and ESC. I'm hoping for about 120mph. I will try and upload a picture.
Cheers--------Larry
Nov 27, 2010, 08:38 PM
Angry Flyer!
wow, nice! Did you mod the tail?
Nov 27, 2010, 08:54 PM
fly and then fly some more!
that is super nice Iroughton! I am tempted to pay you to do one for me! I dont think I could do one that nice. how long did it take you to do that?
Nov 27, 2010, 09:08 PM
Wherever you go- There you are
jriley 1974,
Yes I did all the tail mods. I boxed it all in with plywood and balanced the tailerons with nickel inserts. I added the inside bushing to stiffen it up.
I also added 2 c/f tube spars on each wing. I did not glass the entire plane just the bottom intake hatch cover. It is epoxied on for additional strength. I also added two flat c/f strips below the battery because so much hogging out of the foam took place to fit the intake duct. If I ever need to get to the motor or esc, I will have to cut the hatch off and re-glue it on. Wish me luck on the maiden. The only reason I'm nervous is because there are no cheaters and that seems to effect different set-ups in different ways. Cheers-----------Larry
Nov 27, 2010, 09:58 PM
PSALM 14:1
Quote:
Originally Posted by lroughton View Post
I just finished my 3rd EF-16. I used the same paint scheme as the last.
Looks GREAT!! Just needs a pilot figure in there to be complete
Nov 28, 2010, 12:18 AM
customstandoffs
Quote:
I just finished my 3rd EF-16. I used the same paint scheme as the last. I used Air Sally's inlet duct, inlet lip, nose cone, tail cone. I just want to say that everything fit like a glove. I can't say enough about his workmanship. I used my existing motor,fan, and ESC. The only damage from the previous EF-16'S crash was to the impeller, a servo wire, and of course the fuselage. I may maiden it tomorrow if the weather permits. I using the E-Flight Delta-15 fan with the recommended motor and ESC. I'm hoping for about 120mph. I will try and upload a picture.
Cheers--------Larry
That's a slick paint job. Looks Great!

Good luck on the maiden
Nov 29, 2010, 04:03 AM
Quote:
Cheers--------Larry
Jeez, that looks great! Is the paint job really as good as it looks in the photo? If so, perhaps you could offer a few tips for us mortals?

Si
Nov 29, 2010, 05:03 AM

New Stock set up

Just thought this might shed some more light (or possibly not) on the 'stock set up' query.

I sent the below email to a few (UK) model shops , got one reply which i've added below. (well done rcmodel center)

Seems all is as before, maybe the 70mm was a packaging mistake, any one else found out any more on this?

'I've read on several forums that the EF16 is currently being shipped with a 70mm fan as opposed to the old 55mm units, however this isn't mentioned on either the box or the Phase 3 website.

I was just wondering if this was true, it seems that the fan unit comes with either a 4cell (3400kv) or 3 cell (3800kv) motor, but still the 30amp esc.

I'm looking to buy one of these kits from you but would like to know if I need to specify which version I would like, ie: 4 cell or 3 cell.

Kind regards

Tim Wood

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This email was sent from http://www.rcmodelcentre.co.uk

Hi Tim,

Havent been told anything about this and havent got any different versions instock, so i think its just a rumor.

Warm Regards
Mike
'
Nov 29, 2010, 07:46 AM
life is an oyster. shuck it!
jesus those people are aggravating. it's not a friggin rumor lol. it's confirmed, some people did receive the 70mm fan.
Last edited by istandalone; Nov 29, 2010 at 08:28 AM.
Nov 29, 2010, 08:17 AM
Once-ler

Fyi

I flew the squall this weekend on the 4s setup with the 70mm and it was pretty good! I would say ur are safe on the 4s motor w/ the 3s esc...barely pulls 30 amps wot static. Just a question if the esc can take 15 volts...

I'd even say the 3s motor could take 4s with the 4s esc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by istandalone View Post
jesus those people are aggravating. it's not a friggin rumor lol. it's confirmed, some people did receive the 740m fan.
Nov 29, 2010, 11:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim.fuggdesign View Post
Just thought this might shed some more light (or possibly not) on the 'stock set up' query.

I sent the below email to a few (UK) model shops , got one reply which i've added below. (well done rcmodel center)

Seems all is as before, maybe the 70mm was a packaging mistake, any one else found out any more on this?

'I've read on several forums that the EF16 is currently being shipped with a 70mm fan as opposed to the old 55mm units, however this isn't mentioned on either the box or the Phase 3 website.

I was just wondering if this was true, it seems that the fan unit comes with either a 4cell (3400kv) or 3 cell (3800kv) motor, but still the 30amp esc.

I'm looking to buy one of these kits from you but would like to know if I need to specify which version I would like, ie: 4 cell or 3 cell.

Kind regards

Tim Wood

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This email was sent from http://www.rcmodelcentre.co.uk

Hi Tim,

Havent been told anything about this and havent got any different versions instock, so i think its just a rumor.

Warm Regards
Mike
'
Yes they are being shipped with 70mm fans. From what I've seen some are getting the 4S 3 blade fan, others (like myself) are getting 3S 5 blade fans.

I'm assuming my motor is just 3S since the fan is for the 3S.
Nov 29, 2010, 07:24 PM
speedin n da weeds :)
Rust that's on the way BTW 8:30am my time.

I think they know a 70mm fan is what we all want/need in this plane -how many are on the 55mm versus 70mm???
Nov 30, 2010, 02:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmrust View Post
Just a question if the esc can take 15 volts...

I'd even say the 3s motor could take 4s with the 4s esc.
Mine came with the 4s motor, and 3 bladed fan. It only pulled 21.5 amps on 3 cells. But I'm at about 5700 feet altitude. I did bench run it on 4 cells, stopped advancing throttle when it got to 30 amps. Sounded nice, stock 30 amp esc got warm after a couple minutes throttled at about 20 amps. Been told the esc would burn up at 30 amps on 3 cells, and not last on 4. So thinking about upgrading the esc, since from the bench test it should really move along on 4 cells.
Nov 30, 2010, 05:41 AM
Mine came with 4s motor, and 5 bladed fan. Tested it with 2,65 nanotech`s 35C 4s from HC and got 720 watt at 48 amp. Running Het 55 amp regulator