Nov 09, 2010, 05:50 PM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
Discussion

Team BlackSheep retracts claim of having flown the furthest

wow. ever since we flew the 43.5km flight there has been an onslaught of accusations of us cheating. there's even a whole video mocking the attempt. to be honest when we landed on that day we thought we had achieved something cool. turns out in this forum there are so many "interests" and "egos" at stake that it has become impossible to have a normal conversation without mockery, someone accusing us of being cheaters or being arrogant.

well, to get away from it all, we hereby retract our claim of having flown the furthest. the new official world record goes back to Crist Rigotti 27.9km, old record was 43.54km. We will also not fly long range without a return trip again. I'm extremely sorry for having stepped on anyone's toes in the process and would like to apologize for the "littering" this issue has caused in several threads.

In the hope things can now return to normal again ...

fly safe.

trappy / TBS
Last edited by trappy; Nov 09, 2010 at 06:04 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 09, 2010, 06:04 PM
I think my wheels fell off.
You guys should call yourselves "Team Phoenix" Trappy

"As they rise from the ashes again............"

Whatever you guy's do, official record or not, its going to be amazing and entertain many thousands of people.
Nov 09, 2010, 06:32 PM
Honey Badger
It's a shame really. All I can do is shake my head.

This forum is a lot like my office.... there are 2 steps to follow here.

Step #1: Discredit the information.

Step #2: Shoot the messenger.
Nov 09, 2010, 06:33 PM
Bah. I say just record the full 80 minutes or whatever it is, add some SUPER ANNOYING MUSIC, randomly insert a few scary clown frames into the video, and post it here. Not much you can argue about with that.
Nov 09, 2010, 06:37 PM
I think my wheels fell off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Chip
Step #1: Discredit the information.

Step #2: Shoot the messenger.
LOL. So you work for the goverment or FAA?
Nov 09, 2010, 06:42 PM
Honey Badger
Sure there is...if there are clown faces it means the video was edited. People will immediatly look at the OSD and scream that the numbers look Photoshopped.

Then the "experts" will show up - their friends dad is a graphic designer and he said that it is photoshopped.

Then someone will say that due to the GPS satellite traingualtion and the sun spots that particular day the margin of error is + or - 354% - rendering the GPS readings worthless.

Then we will all argue that the attenuation of the individual capacitor on the 3rd circut couldn't possibly handle the geothermal vorticies created by the isotropic spin of the axis of the earth - which is normally 22.343334445 degrees left of center.

Then we will debate that it is not 22.34333445 - it is in fact 22.3433446...and that over the 359km flight that makes a margin of error of 1502 nautical miles.

Basically - at the end - someone will mathmatically prove that someone didn't even fly that day - because they ate corn from Indonesia.
Nov 09, 2010, 06:42 PM
Hey Trappy,
This whole bashing party has made me appreciate the fact that where I live, a man's word is still honored until proven falsely - not the other way around. The sad fact though, is that no matter what evidence you use to try to prove yourself, someone will always try to knock you, simply because anything now days can be mocked up by a good video editor, and NOTHING can be completely proven by video alone.

I really don't understand why all the bashing anyways. This is only a hobby, and that's it. It's just an unofficial record anyways. It's not like there's millions of dollars to be gained by it.

Keep the videos coming!!!
Nov 09, 2010, 06:43 PM
Honey Badger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumb_number
LOL. So you work for the goverment or FAA?
\

Big Corporate. Worse. If it were the .gov it would mean that I also had to launch a $34B USD campaign to prove that everything is okay.
Nov 09, 2010, 06:47 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by trappy
the new official world record goes back to Crist Rigotti 27.9km
It does? Where's the proof he actually went that far? All we have to go by is his word, which in my opinion is just as valueable as yours for example.

If there's video proof needed to claim a record, I think I actually hold the current record, as here's an entire flight recorded from take off to landing, which should check all the required checkboxes for the critics I guess? (GPS data, RSSI info, actual distance from starting point, etc.)

Or did I fake this one too, running after the plane with Fatshark goggles on, jumping across the fields and scaring away the cows?

http://www.vimeo.com/14681941

Cheers,

Sander - the new long range champion.
Nov 09, 2010, 06:49 PM
Falling with style
Seriously, like JRFlyer said, its not like there are millions of dollars being played here, who cares about records? I only care about my own personal ones and that's it. If someone do better than me than its fine and I am happy for him or her! I am really disappointed in this community and all the constant bashing and e-peen wars...! Am I on the world of warcraft forums and I didn't notice?
Nov 09, 2010, 06:52 PM
Sander, you have too many "s" letters in your name. You faked the video.

Trappy, fly on.
Nov 09, 2010, 06:57 PM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssassen
It does? Where's the proof he actually went that far? All we have to go by is his word, which in my opinion is just as valueable as yours for example.
well, that's for all the complainers to make out between themselves at this point I think it's fair to accept that Crist Rigotti has flown out that far. I just hope this whole pissing contest doesn't go far enough to reduce the long range record back to your 10km - no offense intended
Nov 09, 2010, 06:57 PM
Zephyr 66" Blunt
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssassen

If there's video proof needed to claim a record, I think I actually hold the current record, as here's an entire flight recorded from take off to landing, which should check all the required checkboxes for the critics I guess? (GPS data, RSSI info, actual distance from starting point, etc.)

Or did I fake this one too, running after the plane with Fatshark goggles on, jumping across the fields and scaring away the cows?

http://www.vimeo.com/14681941

Cheers,

Sander - the new long range champion.
I like that vid, hard to argue against and your video signal is amazing. I saw in the final txt you used 24 dbi vid antenna, nice.
You have the long range title

What vid edit software do you use to speed up like that?

Thanks

Mark
Nov 09, 2010, 07:01 PM
Falling with style
You can close the thread I am the winner!

proof:

Nov 09, 2010, 07:05 PM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
lol I think we'll need to see more than an on-board screenshot from you, metalfred.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark hitchman
I like that vid, hard to argue against and your video signal is amazing. I saw in the final txt you used 24 dbi vid antenna, nice.
You have the long range title

What vid edit software do you use to speed up like that?

Thanks

Mark
it's pretty easy to argue against it actually. there was a person standing at 5km who was controlling the flight, maybe even in a chase car. don't you find it awkward that the plane follows a road? there was a dial on the UHF output power to control the RSSI to make it appear like it was actually piloted from a single point. the video was recorded on the plane, as there is absolutely no static. some noise was edited in later.

Quick Reply