Dec 02, 2011, 02:15 PM
Jeremy D Stott
hilarious!
to remove ads between posts
Dec 02, 2011, 06:10 PM
Just though I'd chime in on the Aurora-9 question.

I was able to pick up that Aurora-9 for sale at the Blue Skies in Utah, and I am glad I did. All my DLGs are flying with it, now. I use the Optima-6 receivers, no problem. I have removed the BODA on all my DLG antennas, to save space and weight. I have experienced no apparent loss of signal or capacity. In one glider, I removed the receiver case - that allowed me to place both the battery and receiver further up front, eliminating nose ballast.

I picked up two of the Minima-6Es, but have not yet tried them. I still need the update device for the proper transmitter software. They are smaller, but next time, I'd get the Optima-6 Lite. The Optima-6 Lite is narrower.

I moved the momentary switch from left to right - took about twenty minutes, most of that was getting the case back together. The antenna sticks out a collar on the back, but is threaded on a bolt in the front. There is some jiggling and fiddling to get things to fit once more.

Today, I bought a spring at the hardware store, and now my left gimbal (the "throttle") is spring-loaded to full forward.

None of my mods affect the warranty, I am told.

So:
Left momentary: launch pre-set.
Left 3-position switch: modes (speed/launch, cruise, thermal).
Left gimbal: flaps and rudder.
Right gimbal: elevator and ailerons.

When flying, the grips are nice and the size feels smaller than my EVO. The sticks are smooth. The two switches I use for DLG are both close to my left index finger. Adjustments and programming are a matter of tapping the screen untilo you see what you want, then return-return to be ready to fly.

I got to fly a Futaba 8 back when I was considering which transmitter. It felt really, really nice, but I settled on the Aurora for the price I got. The secondary consideration was that I had heard that moving the momentary switch on the Futaba would void the warranty. I don't know that it would, but I had heard so. Another consideration for Futaba is that in my neck of the woods, several guys use very small, very cheap after-market receivers.

Yours, Greg
Dec 02, 2011, 06:45 PM
This DLG transmitter stuff is making me feel like Forest Gump at a rocket scientists convention!! I had no idea it was so much more complicated than flying my electric WWI fabric and wire jalopies! I'm scared to death I'm gonna screw it all up!
If I give one of you my wallet will you just buy me something as if you were buying it for yourself and let me know what I bought later? My head hurts.....can't wait to start setting it all up to fly.....I'm sure my head will really be hurting at that point!
I think I'm gonna just buy the next best deal I see on an Aurora or 8Fg....sounds like I can't go wrong either way.

Chris
Dec 02, 2011, 06:51 PM
Full disclosure, not sponsored
Sure thing, just drop your wallet off at my place and Ill hook me, i mean you, up.

Here is what I would do. Wait just a little and fly each of these trannys. You may hate the feel of one of them. Either one will be great for DLG.
Dec 02, 2011, 07:05 PM
are we there yet?
I'll add to what Greg posted that the aurora is a great radio. I've been flying dlg with it for about a year now. I am setup about the same as Greg except is use the left slider for camber adjustments in cruise. I would not set that up until you are very used to the radio tho.

I'm working on a series of videos on programming the Aurora 9 for DLG an the mods I have made to it. I'll be starting a new thread in the next week or so.

Either hitec or futaba you can't go wrong.
Dec 02, 2011, 07:15 PM
And the Aurora has telemetry!!!!! And sweet programing and switch assignments!!!!
Dec 02, 2011, 07:25 PM
Must Luv DLG
Yup, the realtime aircraft battery monitoring is cool stuff.
Dec 02, 2011, 09:04 PM
hot air rises...
I considered the aurora when I finally gave up on my JR/Spekrum brownouts. I couldn't be more happy with both Futaba FASST and the 8FG. It is completely switch configurable. And the programming is way easier than JR. Not to say the Aurora isn't a good radio because it probably is, but I know what the 8FG brings and I couldn't be happier. Wait, that is a bit of a lie, I wish the Tx came with the mom switch on the left but it is a very easy fix.
Dec 02, 2011, 11:23 PM
How are the breakers Finchy????
Dec 02, 2011, 11:52 PM
hot air rises...
Currently anchored in Avalon harbor planning tomorrow's fun!
Dec 03, 2011, 12:19 AM
Ive lost count on the reasons!
Dec 03, 2011, 11:51 AM
Just sayin.....
Dec 03, 2011, 12:40 PM
A different attitude to RC
Are we flying today?
Dec 03, 2011, 12:59 PM
AD I might be able to do a 2:00 ish flipoff @ AD. It would be for only an hour or so.
Dec 03, 2011, 01:45 PM
hot air rises...
Just saying'...