Nov 30, 2010, 03:01 PM
hass-alfed and bass-ackwards
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingj View Post
... You're "freeze warning" More like a morning chill warning so please put on a tee shirt before you go get the paper... I know - my Father in Law lives in Avondale and I'll be there for Christmas... Hope there is no chill warning that week.
Yeah, I know. FWIW, I grew up outside of Chicago, so I know what "real cold" is. I still recall getting a day off of school becasue of cold, not snow. It was not expected to get above 0* that day, and there were 15mph winds, to boot.... so I went to work, instead. (Watch the movie Groundhog's Day. That was filmed in the town I grew up in. "It's COLD outside!" )

I will say that I did not know that the thermometer in car will read "ICE" when it's below 32* until Saturday morning when I went to work.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 30, 2010, 03:45 PM
Jeremy D Stott
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlsoti View Post
Groundhog's Day. That was filmed in the town I grew up in. "It's COLD outside!"
Love that movie. No wonder AZ was in your future. Seems as though you learned your lesson and didn't have to repeat any more days in Punxsutawney.
Nov 30, 2010, 06:42 PM
Always Twirling for Freedom!
Sorry for the double post to those of you that subsribe to the UFO thread too, but thought I'd post this here and see if I got any other ideas or input:
Yo fellas, I need some help. Recently I built a wood case to hold 2 DLG's with the wings ON, that will fit into the bed of my truck for transport. Now, with the weather looking like poo, I wanna hop on a plane and take a couple of my planes with me! I've researched coroplast travel boxes: http://thelocust.org/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=13877 , but I'm scared of them getting crushed. I think if I could find a piece of PVC 14'' wide (or maybe 12'' with a bell end; my hoizontal stab is 12.5" wide), 60'' long, I could get it to fit. Not only would it be crush proof, but since it's round like a golf bag case, it'd be tough to stack stuff on top of. I'm just having a real hard time finding a supplier, or better yet anyone with scrap of this diameter of PVC. Any ideas? Moochas Grassyass for any input!
Nov 30, 2010, 07:02 PM
Full disclosure, not sponsored
Yo ACE. I have a ton of misc pipe in the yard right now. I am in Draper. I will let you know what I got here in a second.

PVC that big is HEAVY!!!!!!! Just FYI.
Nov 30, 2010, 07:03 PM
Water pipe this size would have ridiculously thick walls and weight a ton, but in essence its a good idea. Maybe there is somebody who make thin wall pipe or maybe it can be home made (rolled out of 1/8 PVC)
Seba
Nov 30, 2010, 07:10 PM
OK ACE heres the deal. Global warming appears to have been locally excessive and we have not plowed all the global warming out of the yard yet.

I got my hands on an 8" piece of PVC and it weighs a TON!!!!! Well almost.

We also have some ADS highway rated drainpipe "Means you can park a plane on it and it wont crush" That is pretty light weight............ but I need snow shoes to get to it. Give me a few days and I will be able to get back to it unless you are in a hurry. When I forget in a few days remind me......

The ADS also has caps you could buy..... but the caps would possbly cost more than your plane. This pipe is not really cheap.
http://www.ads-pipe.com/en/index.asp

The scraps we have could be had for cheap for the right buyer
Nov 30, 2010, 07:14 PM
Mike M.
Thread OP
Interesting idea. I heard about of lots of guys using a Sportube series 3, which is a telescopic hard shell case for snowboards and skis. I bought a used one off ebay for around $80 or so. They are good because the airlines see them a lot, and you can make an internal padded box (from cardboard, coroplast, thin plywood, etc.) that holds everything and just slides perfectly into the Sportube shell. A length of PVC pipe might just work, as long as you can seal the ends well and still make it easy for the TSA inspectors to get into it. Is your horiz stab removable? That makes packing SO much easier because then everything can lay flat, and you would only need something wide enough to slide your wing in and handle the height of the vertical fin/rudder. A 9" or 10" tube would probably do it. The bummer about airline travel these days is the cost of baggage. Some of them will try to ding you $100 for your DLG case. Keep us posted on what you are doing.
Nov 30, 2010, 07:29 PM
hass-alfed and bass-ackwards
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extremeace View Post
I think if I could find a piece of PVC 14'' wide (or maybe 12'' with a bell end; my hoizontal stab is 12.5" wide), 60'' long, I could get it to fit. Not only would it be crush proof, but since it's round like a golf bag case, it'd be tough to stack stuff on top of. I'm just having a real hard time finding a supplier, or better yet anyone with scrap of this diameter of PVC. Any ideas? Moochas Grassyass for any input!
Back in my car-audio fanatic days, I looked for something similar, and came up with nothing affordable. (Including hitting up my cousin, who worked for ADS in Harvard, Illinois. Even with his discount, it was cheaper to build standard MDF boxes for subwoofers.)
Nov 30, 2010, 07:33 PM
Sweet JonDawg! Yeah, I'm in no big hurry... What's the ADS like? PVC but lighter? Do you know if it's wide enough? I'm sure I can figure out some caps (maybe plywood plugs). Any other ideas? What do you mean by local excessive global warming? SHOULD'a read both of your posts before posting this.
Last edited by Extremeace; Nov 30, 2010 at 07:39 PM. Reason: brain fart
Nov 30, 2010, 07:45 PM
Unfortunately my HorizStab is glued, and threaded (with CA) on. I'd like to be able to keep it that way, even though a flat case would be WAY easier!
Sure is good to see Big Jon Lemon over here in DLG land. When you getting yours BOYEEE?
Hey, what about that coroplast case (above) with aluminum angle iron as a skeleton?
I know it's expensive to travel with extra baggage, but... some things are just worth it, they ain't gunna put my bank account balance on my tombstone! I miss sunshine and thermals!
Nov 30, 2010, 09:03 PM
ACE, the ADS is really pretty light. The PVC at that size is moved by a backhoe with forks to give you an idea of how we handle 20' lengths.

Also as far as the extra baggage fees go, from what I am hearing you can get a free checked bag if you let the nice feller with a smirk check for extra dipoles!!!!!

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=2213

You will need to read a few post before and after to get the full experience.

OK in a great show of restraint I just erased 2 paragraphs of great commentary. I am thinking of the children!!!!!!!

OK back to spinning in circles with toy planes!

And yes Alex I have a pass to post in this thread as I am the proud owner of 1/3 of a DLG. Hopefully I get full ownership next week. Something about having to pay for the entire plane before I got the entire plane!!!!!! What a rip!!!!
Nov 30, 2010, 09:07 PM
The ground's the limit.
Sonotube? According to the web site it's available in 6" to 60" diameter.

Shawn
Nov 30, 2010, 10:55 PM
Combat: You're doing it wrong.
You may want to look up the cost of a trade show booth shipping crate. They would be the perfect diameter and strength. You could build some foam support structure inside one to hold your planes steady. Something like these:

http://www.aceexhibits.com/index.asp...ATS&Category=7
Nov 30, 2010, 11:04 PM
hot air rises...
Ditto on the sonotube. I've shipped out a few of my E-200 pylon planes in sonotubes. They work great and are light but strong. Check out cement supply places (I bought mine at ACE here in PG and it was like $2/ft for 8" diam). I think ace only has up to 12". Home depot and Lowes have it too.
Nov 30, 2010, 11:10 PM
What about the kamikaze travel bags? I see they're about $70 online and have heard people using them... anyone tried them?

Good idea on the sonotubes, I'll have to look into it, seems like a good way of shipping planes...

Quick Reply