May 12, 2013, 12:47 PM
Can it fly? I'll try and see!
Also consider the Hobbymate 790 it's got a bit newer technology (MEMS) compared to the Futaba 401, so you shouldnt have any trouble with temperature changes. It's in that same price range.
to remove ads between posts
May 12, 2013, 12:58 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Futaba 401 is also mems

http://www.futaba-rc.com/gyros/futm0807.html
May 12, 2013, 01:19 PM
Can it fly? I'll try and see!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmackenzie
Oh oops, I was thinking it was piezo for some reason! probably because the clone HK401 is piezo.
May 13, 2013, 01:04 AM
Thanks guys, as it turns out I found a used Assan GA-250 in my parts drawer. I'm sure I can download instructions for it from somewhere, can't for the life of me remember how it works.

I've got the basics of my airframe together and have ordered some servos. I'm going all digital metal gears with HK-15178B's for the (swash? head?) and a HK-922MG for the tail. They aren't expensive servos but hopefully they'll do the job.

My motor is a noname 3700kv unit I bought ages ago and I've got a 10t pinion on it with an 11t in reserve. ESC will be a 40A Mystery / HK Blue Series... overkill but great ESC's and I have one lying around. Receiver will be OrangeRx 6ch coupled to my DX7.

Does that sound alright so far? I've never set up or even flown a heli before (apart from sims) and if I'm about to do something stupid then I'd love to know.

Cheers - boingk
May 13, 2013, 02:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by boingk
Thanks guys, as it turns out I found a used Assan GA-250 in my parts drawer. I'm sure I can download instructions for it from somewhere, can't for the life of me remember how it works.

I've got the basics of my airframe together and have ordered some servos. I'm going all digital metal gears with HK-15178B's for the (swash? head?) and a HK-922MG for the tail. They aren't expensive servos but hopefully they'll do the job.

My motor is a noname 3700kv unit I bought ages ago and I've got a 10t pinion on it with an 11t in reserve. ESC will be a 40A Mystery / HK Blue Series... overkill but great ESC's and I have one lying around. Receiver will be OrangeRx 6ch coupled to my DX7.

Does that sound alright so far? I've never set up or even flown a heli before (apart from sims) and if I'm about to do something stupid then I'd love to know.

Cheers - boingk
The GA 250 is a real challenge to get working well, and a HK922 is marginal for the tail. I would suggest getting a better gyro and tail servo - a second hand 401 is excellent vfm and something like a Fitec 9357 is excellent for about $16 of ebay
May 13, 2013, 03:19 AM
Not a worry Mike, although I probably should have mentioned that I'm not looking to do 3D with this at any point... and if so it would only be mild. Would that make a difference or is this really an issue?

- boingk
May 13, 2013, 03:50 AM
Yes, I know it's upside down.
Quote:
Not a worry Mike, although I probably should have mentioned that I'm not looking to do 3D with this at any point... and if so it would only be mild. Would that make a difference or is this really an issue?

- boingk
Boingk, I have used the MG922 quite a bit. It will hover okay, and also work okay for smooth forward flight, but you'll get tail kick when you apply pitch. Grab something like an EMax ES9257, and you will have a far superior tail than the MG922. (Mike's Fitec suggestion might be just fine as well, I've just never used it myself.) It's the best $15 you will spend on your heli. Do it right the first time and you will not regret it.

If you plan on sticking with helis, buy the best gyro you can afford. Again, do it right the first time and enjoy having a solid tail.
Last edited by Harrow; May 13, 2013 at 06:56 AM.
May 13, 2013, 05:14 AM
Retired
I just ordered one of these

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._Assembly.html

Has anyone been flying with this head now for awhile?

small review if possible please

tips and tricks.
May 13, 2013, 06:45 AM
Quote:

- boingk
As Harrow says, there are many options for the tail servo - I have used the Fitec for a year and been very happy with it. As I mentioned the GA250 has very mixed reports, I had one that I just didn't get on with, so personally I would not use one - my approach would be a secondhand 401 + Fitec - a solid tail for $60 odd, you could spend a lot of time getting the GA250 + 922 to work well
May 13, 2013, 06:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHRC
As I mentioned the GA250 has very mixed reports, I had one that I just didn't get on with, so personally I would not use one
I've setup about four GA250's for friends. I had one that worked okay, and the other three had us endlessly chasing problems with the tail until we changed the gyro for something better.
May 13, 2013, 07:02 AM

FUBAR flybarless

Ha, these guys have a sense of humour. Hopefully it doesn't live up to it's name!

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ol_System.html
May 13, 2013, 07:03 AM
Thanks guys.

Harrow, I have taken your suggestion and bought an Emax. Managed to find a source selling them for $9 posted via ebay, quite happy!

I'm going to stick with the 250 gyro and if it works thats fine, but if not then I'll get something else like a 401.

Thanks again for lending some knowledge guys, always helps to have the wisdom of experience on your side.

Cheers - boingk
May 13, 2013, 07:07 AM
Quote:
Thanks guys.

Harrow, I have taken your suggestion and bought an Emax. Managed to find a source selling them for $9 posted via ebay, quite happy!

Cheers - boingk
Hey just noticed you're a fellow Aussie. Don't suppose you live in southern Sydney?
May 13, 2013, 07:18 AM
Quote:
Thanks guys.

I'm going to stick with the 250 gyro and if it works thats fine, but if not then I'll get something else like a 401.

Thanks again for lending some knowledge guys, always helps to have the wisdom of experience on your side.

Cheers - boingk
Please post the link to that ebay item. I think several of us would like to order 1 or 2. Thanks!
May 13, 2013, 07:40 AM
All I did was search for 'ES9257' and then select sorting by 'cheapest + postage'. Think its actually $9.25 including postage, quoted postage time 10 to 14 days.

Harrow, I live near Canberra in the country (hence my reliance ob HK & ebay). Always good to see fellow coutrymen on the boards! Where do you fly?

- boingk

Quick Reply