Dec 12, 2010, 09:21 PM
Retired
Quote:
Originally Posted by sp00fman
The discussion about the Turnigy MEMS gyro on HF seems to be less positive. quite a few reports about the gyro's stopping to work for no apparent reason.
Im just going to try the hk401 on my 500 sized heli, whenever Hobbyking feels like getting the heli stocked again, and if i dont like it jump to a Quark.

I finished my rebuild!
I build the tail up on my test rig and made an interesting discovery about the Chinese weight mod.
I really like the mod, but you have to be careful not to overdo it. it still needs quite a bit of counter-push from the blades to not screw the hole tail up, and now i know why:
With pushrod not connected, and without the weight-mod the blades will track very well as the blades are forced to 0-pitch, making my dremel spin the blades up nice and fast without much effort.
Then i started adding weight. As you reach the point of where the chinese weight comes somewhat close to the point where the weights cancel out the blade force, one of the blades starts to get out of track because of small differences between the blades/bladegrips. This gave a huge drag and RMP quickly dropped.
This is way before the "0 force on the tailslider" point.

I also spun up the bird with the main-head only, with flybars on.
flybar needed a few more mm of adjustment to get the paddles spin around on exactly the same "orbit".
It's super smooth now, even after adding the tail parts!
When spooled up to target rpm the small vibes are gone and there is only the loud noise from the gear-train left.

Im so happy
SM: Yes I have heard bad reports about those Tgy mems gyros. the new assan mems gyro should be out very soon. I have the old assan gyro on my 250, I am very happy with it(and you know how tempermental the 250 is compared to the 450, I also use an HK401 clone gyro, that is working nicely, these two gyros are definately a bang for buck). It's a plug and play gyro. I can't wait for the new assan mems gyro. It only weighs 8grams. I hope it's a plug and play gyro like the old one. I really can't be bothered any more tinkering with these gyros I think jombo, just started using the g106 gyro, that's another plug and play gyro, this i believe is the future with these gyros Plug it in, and fly!!!

Oh I forgot to mention how much the new assan mems gyro would hurt your pocket. From what the Assan Manufacturer told me $20 may be even less, all depends where you buy it from! I'm saving my pocket money for that.

But that is true SM, if you really want a "True Gyro" you can't beat a Quark.

Final note. Good to see you got your bird flying the way you want it to be. Smoothe as silk.
Last edited by pitchp; Dec 12, 2010 at 09:38 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 12, 2010, 09:45 PM
Use the flybar young Padawan
the 500 is just about done , i just need to button up some wiring and waiting for the new batteries.
that G106 is going in the other 250 GT i am going to build, i got spoiled with the 500 with all the room and big screws , now i go to go to the microscopic screws . this is probably why i like the bigger birds my fat fingers can actually hold the screws .
Dec 12, 2010, 09:49 PM
Retired
Quote:
Originally Posted by jombo
the 500 is just about done , i just need to button up some wiring and waiting for the new batteries.
that G106 is going in the other 250 GT i am going to build, i got spoiled with the 500 with all the room and big screws , now i go to go to the microscopic screws . this is probably why i like the bigger birds my fat fingers can actually hold the screws .
I know the feeling jombo, that's the thing working with the 250, every thing is soo small, and trying to hide the wires from view is definately a handful.
Dec 12, 2010, 10:52 PM
Yes I looped the MSR post 5388

Harrow Flying

This is Mr Harrow with his 450

Paul having a quick flight with his 450 (3 min 48 sec)
Dec 12, 2010, 11:46 PM
Retired
Quote:
well i think i fixed the hk 401b gyro , i took parts off the bad gy48v aka the micro switches , and transferd them to the 401b . the opperation was a complete sucsess .... i think . i tested it on the 500 tail and used the reverse switch and it seemed to work , i was holding it in my hand so it was really jittery . but this is what i do to all my cheapo gyros because their electronics are just jammed in their . also dont tighten it down all the way as the silicone is put on thick , so once i feel its getting tight i silicone the gap up so its totally isolated . with extra padding under it , i think it works pretty well , it holdes the tail for me . but you still the occasional bad one .
Jombo I just took a closer look at those pics now. It seems you're right the gy48v is preety much like the hk401, except it's packaged better would you say? I'd prefer plastic covering, as it would be lighter? What is that stuff you put on the chip, is it silicone glue? And having heard of losi's report on the gy48v that it didn't perform well on hard 3D and he ended up switching to a quark, i'd say it's similar to a hk401 clone. I don't know if he done any mods to the gy48v though. But in any case I am still very happy with my 401 clones. I don't fly like the pros, so I have no need of an extreme gyro like the quark for now....
Dec 13, 2010, 02:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EatAtJoes
Modified / fixed tail (this was an issue even with the futaba till I fixed it had the apparent gyro not working effect)
What is the fix ?
Dec 13, 2010, 06:52 AM
Yes I looped the MSR post 5388
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandos
What is the fix ?
I have made a video which I will upload in the next day or so, but to cut a long story short, the bearings bind because the collar inside that rests between the inner race of one bearing and the inner race of the other bearing is too short, this causes the bearing to bind, additionally you need to clear the outer race from the arm it bolts to. So the whole thing is about making it very tight, very secure and very free as even a slight angle on the tail control lever will bind the lever up as the servo pushes against it.

My entire tail assembly (if held by the control lever alone and not attached to the heli) will rock back and forth so smoothly on that bearing if you give it a slight tap to start it rocking, blade grips and all.

Elias
Dec 13, 2010, 09:40 AM
Use the flybar young Padawan
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchp
Jombo I just took a closer look at those pics now. It seems you're right the gy48v is preety much like the hk401, except it's packaged better would you say? I'd prefer plastic covering, as it would be lighter? What is that stuff you put on the chip, is it silicone glue? And having heard of losi's report on the gy48v that it didn't perform well on hard 3D and he ended up switching to a quark, i'd say it's similar to a hk401 clone. I don't know if he done any mods to the gy48v though. But in any case I am still very happy with my 401 clones. I don't fly like the pros, so I have no need of an extreme gyro like the quark for now....
i think the hk 401 is alot more sencitive than the gy48v , if i were to chose between the 2 the 401 would be my choice . i have the gain way up for the 48v at 90% hh , i just tryed the 401 and have the gain at only 35%on hh and get the same results. i could never get a tail wag with the 48v either .
the reason i chose the gy48v over the hk401 was because of quality, i had 3 bad one good of the 401 , but since i fixed the switches i have 2 good now . i would definitly buy more but the shipping kills me , it pretty much doubles the price of the gyro . but after seeing the g106 and for only 18.00 that may be the way to go , that thing is sweet .
Dec 13, 2010, 12:33 PM
Looptastic!
Just received the HK (go-tech) D9257 mini servo for the tail. It looks very well build for the $10 it cost. It has dual bearings of the output shaft, and feels it has less play in the shaft than the E-max 9257. It looks to be a real quick servo, and feels strong also..
did a 1 on 1 compare, and its speed is the same or faster than emax.

A shame the sticker was ugly. Fixed that with the HK sticker sheet. It now reads "GY power"

Testflight 2 today. too bad memory ran out on camera
test flight 2 (3 min 34 sec)

With the vibe and slop free tail i could crank up the gain some more. I just cant get it to wag anymore
Ill up the max gain in the Tx software some more, see if i can get the tail to hold even better.
Last edited by sp00fman; Dec 13, 2010 at 12:50 PM.
Dec 13, 2010, 04:19 PM
Retired
Quote:
Originally Posted by sp00fman
Just received the HK (go-tech) D9257 mini servo for the tail. It looks very well build for the $10 it cost. It has dual bearings of the output shaft, and feels it has less play in the shaft than the E-max 9257. It looks to be a real quick servo, and feels strong also..
did a 1 on 1 compare, and its speed is the same or faster than emax.

A shame the sticker was ugly. Fixed that with the HK sticker sheet. It now reads "GY power"

Testflight 2 today. too bad memory ran out on camera
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNHFF0YWx1A

With the vibe and slop free tail i could crank up the gain some more. I just cant get it to wag anymore
Ill up the max gain in the Tx software some more, see if i can get the tail to hold even better.
It's definately getting there. One of the nicest and smoothest helis, I've seen in this forum.
Dec 13, 2010, 04:21 PM
Retired
Quote:
i think the hk 401 is alot more sencitive than the gy48v , if i were to chose between the 2 the 401 would be my choice . i have the gain way up for the 48v at 90% hh , i just tryed the 401 and have the gain at only 35%on hh and get the same results. i could never get a tail wag with the 48v either .
the reason i chose the gy48v over the hk401 was because of quality, i had 3 bad one good of the 401 , but since i fixed the switches i have 2 good now . i would definitly buy more but the shipping kills me , it pretty much doubles the price of the gyro . but after seeing the g106 and for only 18.00 that may be the way to go , that thing is sweet .
I'd love to try the g106, for $18 a PnP gyro, that's definately a bang for buck.
Dec 13, 2010, 06:09 PM
Yes, I know it's upside down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchp
I'd love to try the g106, for $18 a PnP gyro, that's definately a bang for buck.
Hopefully the bang is not your heli hitting the ground.
Dec 13, 2010, 06:15 PM
Retired
lol Everyone crashes Harrow, that's just how it is. I'm comfortable with it now. I've learnt now, I just rebuild and come back even harder and better everytime.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8Qp38qT-xI
Last edited by pitchp; Dec 13, 2010 at 06:20 PM.
Dec 14, 2010, 03:28 AM
Yes, I know it's upside down.
Okay sp00fman, you're one up on me now. I'll have to try an inverted hover next weekend.
Dec 14, 2010, 05:38 AM
Looptastic!
Its just as easy as on the sim. Dont worry and try them up high at first, to get a feel of how much negative you need to hold it.

While your at it try the cuban 8. its a cool move witout much risk:

while on a fly-by, do a loop, and when just over the top as the nose gets pointed down a little, roll it upright again, let it pick up some speed while decending and then pull up and start the second loop. You can do this continiousely.
This makes an vertical figure 8 with half rolls in between
Last edited by sp00fman; Dec 14, 2010 at 06:26 AM.

Quick Reply