Mar 31, 2015, 02:08 PM
At High Altitude...
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHRC
FP34,

I hate to say this - but some ESC's just have a very poor soft-start, it could be that you have one of these ... the 35amp Trex ESCs had about the best soft-start in the business, so you have been spoilt.

Hope I'm wrong and you can sort it ....

Cheers,
Mike.

I think you could be bang on the money there Mike,maybe the ESC just can't perform such a soft start regardless of set up!
to remove ads between posts
Mar 31, 2015, 02:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHRC
FP34,
I hate to say this - but some ESC's just have a very poor soft-start, it could be that you have one of these
Hi Mike
Quite right, but if the esc won't respond to programming Dan won't be able to change any parameters, not just soft start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightpunch34
Yes that's one thing i have set up on this,essential alright on a heli!
Essential also is to use it so regularly that it becomes second nature. Let it become a habit

Quote:
I think you could be bang on the money there Mike,maybe the ESC just can't perform such a soft start regardless of set up!
Also right. The soft start on the Plush series is usable but nowhere near the standard of, say, a YEP.

Still the question if whether it is the esc or the transmitter at fault.
Dan, have you tried to adjust any other settings?

Cheers

Jeff
Mar 31, 2015, 03:39 PM
At High Altitude...
Jeff,

I have went at it lastnight and the last thing i was playing with was the throttle side trim adjust,it goes to -100 and + 100 so for example if you are in programming mode and want to opt out,what do you do-- you drop the stick right!? and it goes out when it gives you the tones to confirm,now when i was messing around with it the only way i could get it back out of programming on lowest throttle stick position was to be at -100, (this is where it was at all along) so playing around with this isn't much use and apparently is not the cause for the ESC not accepting any new changes made via programming.

So i can rule that one out!
Mar 31, 2015, 03:59 PM
Hi Dan

Lost me a little bit here.

You say you can get it out of programming by setting the throttle trim and the stick all the way down.
How do you know it's out of programming?
I assume you no longer get the tones, right?
Have you tried to set soft start with the trim all the way down?
Out of interest, when you do the throttle calibration, at the start, do you get the confirmation then?
Not going to let this beat us, are we?

Jeff
Mar 31, 2015, 04:08 PM
At High Altitude...
Jeff,

What i'm saying is just referring to the normal procedure really,when you want to get the throttle calibrated you just move the throttle stick back down to 'off' position, then i had a play before going in to programming mode by adjusting the throttle trim switch up and down,do you follow me now ? to see would the ESC accept the programming change (soft start) by trying it at a differnt throttle trim.

But it didn't matter because the only point where the ESC actually initialises and calibrates the throttle is at -100 or throttle trim all the way down,i suppose the obvious position.

You with me now? lol

And yeah i can get the calibration tone,when i shut the throttle stick back down it gives two beeps before the ESC starts to sing.

But no matter what i do i just can't get it to give those two beeps when i make the change in programming mode for softstart,when i drop the stick the ESC does not give the tone i need to hear,it just skips that and starts to sing it's normal tone.
Last edited by flightpunch34; Mar 31, 2015 at 04:12 PM. Reason: Spelling
Mar 31, 2015, 04:56 PM
Hi Dan

Thanks for that, makes it a whole lot clearer.
Also, I suppose points suspicion to the esc rather than the transmitter.
After all, if the transmitter is producing a suitable signal for throttle calibration, you can assume it's also suitable for program changes.
I think an e-mail to Perkins is in order.
Continue tomorrow.

Cheers

Jeff
Mar 31, 2015, 05:42 PM
At High Altitude...
I think an E-mail is in order too,good idea.... will send it now actually and report back when i hear feedback from them.

It will be intresting.

Speak then lad!
Mar 31, 2015, 05:48 PM
At High Altitude...
Borderlord,

Here is a copy of the mail i just shot to Jperkins,just thought you might be intrested

Hello,

I need support with an EnergyPRO 40amp ESC which i am currently using in a model helicopter (450 size Align)
Ok i am using a Futaba T6 radio and the RX is Aligns MRS unit, anyway the radio and RX should not make a differnce to the following issue.
I have the programming settings form this ESC from one of your websites Via PDF document and i go through the normal programming procedure,everything goes ok until i try to tell the ESC which setting i want (softstart) this leads me now to the issue,i can't get the ESC no matter what i do to accept the change to softstart,when i drop the throttle stick to make the selection the ESC won't confirm this change as it should with it's two beeps/tones.

I would really appreciate some assistance on this and i have some pals also on a busy forum who are waiting on an answer too on this topic/issue.

I await a responce & thanks very much in advance.

Dan A
Mar 31, 2015, 06:35 PM
At High Altitude...
For anyone intrested,i just said i'd share this video we done a few weeks back,it was when i got the heli first,maybe 4th or 5th day out flying it,i decided to post this and it's worth a watch till the end if you are in to looking at some nice irish scenery from a few famous locations.

Thanks for looking and thanks to Nicola my missus for doing the video.

PS- i personally think my flying has much improved since then,i am going to do a new video as soon as the weather calms,right now it's brutal here.........
Dan

Eleven minutes of my latest Heli 3D practice --- Align 450 DFC (11 min 0 sec)
Apr 01, 2015, 06:40 AM
Hi Dan

PM sent

Jeff
Apr 01, 2015, 10:44 AM
At High Altitude...
Thanks Jeff,PM responded to.
Apr 01, 2015, 11:21 AM
If it flies, I probably have 1
Quote:
For anyone intrested,i just said i'd share this video we done a few weeks back,it was when i got the heli first,maybe 4th or 5th day out flying it,i decided to post this and it's worth a watch till the end if you are in to looking at some nice irish scenery from a few famous locations.

Thanks for looking and thanks to Nicola my missus for doing the video.

PS- i personally think my flying has much improved since then,i am going to do a new video as soon as the weather calms,right now it's brutal here.........
Dan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KKUd1Lh1SE

Hey Dan, Great video, some pretty nice moves there, i do like those outside loops you were doing, giving me ideas now
Apr 01, 2015, 11:39 AM
At High Altitude...
Thanks steve,not the best video i have done and i know it's longwinded but thought i'd share it for the scenery...

Not sure if i have improved or not since,can't test this thing out since,the weather is sickning here,heavy winds.....

I had a bearing gone on the tail and slop on the head bearings,so changed all those along with the rest of the changes,i did have a fast flight the other day and the tic tocs were far tighter,the Align carbon blades seem to perform far better cause they are longer too.

Won't know how it goes now until the weather gets better...
Apr 01, 2015, 02:16 PM
If it flies, I probably have 1
Quote:
Thanks steve,not the best video i have done and i know it's longwinded but thought i'd share it for the scenery...

Not sure if i have improved or not since,can't test this thing out since,the weather is sickning here,heavy winds.....

I had a bearing gone on the tail and slop on the head bearings,so changed all those along with the rest of the changes,i did have a fast flight the other day and the tic tocs were far tighter,the Align carbon blades seem to perform far better cause they are longer too.

Won't know how it goes now until the weather gets better...
yeah i know what you mean about the weather, i have an ever increasing hangar because of it (if i cant fly, i build, lol)
so still have the blade 550x to maiden, and the 450L dominator, and about 3 planes aswell hehehe
Apr 01, 2015, 02:30 PM
At High Altitude...
S/S

Haha i love building too,there is just nothing to beat it,wow nice selection you got there the 550x blade helis are nice.

450L dominator i think could be my next build aswell,looks awesome.....allthough was looking too at the 500L dominator,that's a very well priced kit.

Thanks to you all for the help with the ESC and Border Lord,you are a great guy for the assistance you have offered me,i am going now to try what you just PM'd me.
thanks so much for going out of your way to help out on this,if that don't work i don't know what will.

Thanks again!

Quick Reply