Mar 18, 2015, 03:19 PM
Crashing regularly since 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Border Lord
Hi flightpunch

Sorry, but you don't need specific lengths for those links. Provided the links from the servos to the swash are correct, then set your pitch stick to middle and then adjust the links until you have zero pitch on each blade.

Bob's your uncle.

Cheers BL
It should be setup so that you get 0 pitch with the servo arms horizontal
- and the servo arms should be horizontal with the TX throttle at mid-stick

Then you should get even +/- pitch if the servos can move +/- by the same amount ..
to remove ads between posts
Mar 19, 2015, 03:34 AM
At High Altitude...
Thanks to everyone for their feedback,this is a great thread on the 450 size machines.

Ok,lastnight was strip and rebuild time for my machine,i took out speed controller and checked all wiring,everything looked ok,only thing to report that may have caused the 'drop in power' was there was one servo and it didn't look too good on the elevator,so i took it out and swapped it,i'm not convinced that this would have caused the problem but i will see....
Also the motor pinion gear mesh seemed a little tight....

I'm going out the door now as i write this to test it,hope it don't come down again.

Maybe my speed controller is finished,good amount of flying done with it now,but not enough to mean it should be gone already.

I will report back,not much i can do with ESC only check wiring and retest.
Mar 19, 2015, 10:54 AM
If it Works, You Better Fix It
FP34, you said you replaced the one way bearing. I did have one that would momentarily slip ( for a second or so in flight then grab again, that's when I could get it in the air with that bearing, sometimes it would not grab at all ) you should be hearing the motor spin up and the drive train slow down at the same time if it's the one way. If not then look elsewhere as you are doing ?

Bill S.
Last edited by VelocityRC; Mar 19, 2015 at 11:01 AM.
Mar 19, 2015, 01:20 PM
Fp34,

When you have the loss of power does your Rx lose power? Does it lose contact with the Tx?

Either could cause the symptoms that you mentioned.

Cheers
Mike
Mar 19, 2015, 02:20 PM
At High Altitude...
Guys,

Thanks so much for all the input,i appreciate that,i'm not much of a help to shed some light on the issue,flew it today at the flying field for maybe 12 packs and it flew lovely,then bang out of noplace i had a powercut again.....LOL couldn't believe it,around 5ft from the ground everything came back on hah.....lucky save ..

So the problem is still there but not as bad,i took out speed controller lastnight and gave it a good going over,all seems to be ok.....

Few pics from the field today,me and my pal dave had the field to ourselves all day....what a day it was :O

Davy was out flying his brand new 500L dominator he got from faslad uk,amazing machine.... he is more of a scale flyer and is is still learning,he is flying now over 8months with helis.
Mar 19, 2015, 03:32 PM
If it flies, I probably have 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by flightpunch34
Guys,

Thanks so much for all the input,i appreciate that,i'm not much of a help to shed some light on the issue,flew it today at the flying field for maybe 12 packs and it flew lovely,then bang out of noplace i had a powercut again.....LOL couldn't believe it,around 5ft from the ground everything came back on hah.....lucky save ..

So the problem is still there but not as bad,i took out speed controller lastnight and gave it a good going over,all seems to be ok.....

Few pics from the field today,me and my pal dave had the field to ourselves all day....what a day it was :O

Davy was out flying his brand new 500L dominator he got from faslad uk,amazing machine.... he is more of a scale flyer and is is still learning,he is flying now over 8months with helis.
some great pics there FP, nice

im thinking, if you lasted 12 packs before the issue, maybe its a heat related one, perhaps heat is building up over time and the ESC is shutting down to protect overheating?
Mar 19, 2015, 04:02 PM
At High Altitude...
You could be right steve,you could be........ i am keeping a close eye on the cooling area and it looks ok,funny thing is anytime i bring it in it's not that hot normally to touch....

Some more recent shots where i also fly outside my front door at a very high point.

Where i fly at the club a great friend of mine who is over the field has just given me a present today of another 450,it's very nice but it's a flybar version V2 i believe,i will post some pics tomorrow,if i'm honest i'm not a fan of flybar helis but i like this one,it's never been flown,just built,he wants to see if i can get it flying,i like the idea of seeing can i get it in the air too.
Will post some pics tomorrow will be handy to have a second heli as a backup when i go flying.

Thanks for looking
Mar 19, 2015, 04:15 PM
rc user
Is that Nessie peeking out in that last picture?
Mar 19, 2015, 07:08 PM
At High Altitude...
Hahaha....... could be.... maybe she made her way over to ireland :P
Last edited by flightpunch34; Mar 19, 2015 at 07:25 PM.
Mar 19, 2015, 08:17 PM
rc user
that's where my dad's family is from. but you probably guessed that by my name.
Mar 20, 2015, 03:35 AM
At High Altitude...
To be honest i didn't even think about it,but cool,what part are they from?
Mar 20, 2015, 06:06 AM
At High Altitude...
Right heli experts,i have no idea about this thing,never had a flybar heli,as i said i got a present of this,he said he never flew it just assembled,motor is a turnigy and not sure about anything else yet,it looks like a HK 450.He gave me two,one for more spares...
Looks to me like i just need a reciever and set it all up a little....
Here are some shots.

He said it's two years old,and i see HK still sells these....
So this is just going to be another side project for fun,the DFC version obviously will remain my main machine for now.

In his own words 'it needs a right good cleaning' lol.... it's covered in dust from just sitting in the attic,sorry if the pics are a little rubbish,didn't even get the motor specs lol it looks like a hopped up version,i will get better pics later this evening of it,i was in a hurry this morning out the door.
Last edited by flightpunch34; Mar 20, 2015 at 06:09 AM. Reason: Adding pics
Mar 20, 2015, 06:45 AM
Crashing regularly since 2013
If I was you, I'd do a FBL conversion on it
- get a cheap DFC head - either the HK Assault Head or the CopterX DFC head
- the CopterX DFC head is not bad for the price, but the CopterX DFC swash is fairly dodgey...
- or just get a non-DFC FBL head
- then put a cheap gyro on there, like a Yellow Kbar

Then you'll have a pretty nice 2nd machine

Nothing wrong with FB heads, just a little more difficult to control & setup
- but it could be a good learning tool...
Mar 20, 2015, 06:50 AM
rc user
looks like a 450GT. it's the older Skya model with grey/silver metal parts. they are decent quality but may have some things that need to be replaced. make sure all the high speed parts are true, like the main, feathering and tail shaft. the main gear may need to be replaced if it wobbles. the head should be taken apart. make sure the bearings are assembled correctly, the thrust bearings have grease and the bolts have loctite. some people replace the head and tail grip bolts with better quality items for safety.

I would leave it with the flybar head, for the experience.
Mar 20, 2015, 07:49 AM
what you guys use on your cabel wirings to protect it and improve the look of wiring?

BA

Quick Reply