New Products Flash Sale
Thread Tools
Old Nov 09, 2010, 12:04 PM
peterp1964 is offline
Find More Posts by peterp1964
Registered User
peterp1964's Avatar
Discussion

Is America Catching the “British Disease?”


very insightful:

http://www.project-syndicate.org/com...reen24/English
Old Nov 09, 2010, 12:12 PM
madsci_guy is online now
Find More Posts by madsci_guy
Figure Nine Champ
madsci_guy's Avatar
Those Berkely guys, always predicting a bear market
Old Nov 09, 2010, 12:26 PM
AA5BY is offline
Find More Posts by AA5BY
Registered User
AA5BY's Avatar
I've little doubt there is a measure of truth to the conclusion. Between labor unions and our health care model, industry is fleeing the encumbrances and our politicians can't fix either issue because of the political divide.
Old Nov 09, 2010, 12:39 PM
peterp1964 is offline
Find More Posts by peterp1964
Registered User
peterp1964's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by AA5BY View Post
I've little doubt there is a measure of truth to the conclusion. Between labor unions and our health care model, industry is fleeing the encumbrances and our politicians can't fix either issue because of the political divide.
industry is not "fleeing." The manufacturing base of our industry has already
fled to the offshore manufacturing platforms (Chindia and the likes of them).
And this flight was engineered by industry itself (after all, our politicians
didn't one day wake up and thought of "globalisation" and how it can be
put to work for increasing the profit margin of corporations).
Old Nov 09, 2010, 12:43 PM
MtnGoat is offline
Find More Posts by MtnGoat
Tu ne cede malis
MtnGoat's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by AA5BY View Post
I've little doubt there is a measure of truth to the conclusion. Between labor unions and our health care model, industry is fleeing the encumbrances and our politicians can't fix either issue because of the political divide.
The 'fix' is to stop interfering with industry and markets, concentrate on policing theft and fraud, and provide a reason for actual innovation to stay here.

It is not 'fixing' anything to impose ever more political decisions from people not equipped to make valid market decisions.
Old Nov 09, 2010, 12:58 PM
AA5BY is offline
Find More Posts by AA5BY
Registered User
AA5BY's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGoat View Post
The 'fix' is to stop interfering with industry and markets, concentrate on policing theft and fraud, and provide a reason for actual innovation to stay here.

It is not 'fixing' anything to impose ever more political decisions from people not equipped to make valid market decisions.
You've a right to your opinion... mine is that unrestricted markets of essential services are free to practice unlimited greed, and do.
Old Nov 09, 2010, 01:04 PM
MtnGoat is offline
Find More Posts by MtnGoat
Tu ne cede malis
MtnGoat's Avatar
How can they practice 'unlimited' greed .....when they are limited by the rights of other individuals and the amount of money they are willing to trade?

Which politicians are free of greed?
Old Nov 09, 2010, 01:09 PM
Big Foot 48 is offline
Find More Posts by Big Foot 48
Alarm Bells Softening!
Big Foot 48's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterp1964 View Post
And this flight was engineered by industry itself (after all, our politicians didn't one day wake up and thought of "globalisation" and how it can be put to work for increasing the profit margin of corporations).
Have you sent a note of rebuke to your folk Obama? Yesterday, in India:
Quote:
"Together we can resist the protectionism that stifles growth and innovation. The United States remains--and will continue to remain--one of the most open economies in the world. By opening markets and reducing barriers to foreign investment, India can realize its full economic potential as well."
Old Nov 09, 2010, 02:25 PM
radix2 is offline
Find More Posts by radix2
Radix malorum est cupiditas
radix2's Avatar
Earlier this year, the Economist had an extensive report on Germany that I thought was interesting - http://www.economist.com/node/156410...ry_id=15641021 (only 5 sections are free per week without subscribing)

I have been interested in how Germany has been able to maintain it's manufacturing/export economy against the forces of globalization - do they use tariffs to protect markets?, how do they avoid trade conflict, effects on wage rates, etc. Germany would seem to be a good comparator as an example of how to maintain wage rates against foreign competition.

This series touches on the factors that have worked so far and is worth a read.

My main take-aways

Germany does not tie long term liabilities to companies - healthcare and pensions are mostly pay as you go and held outside the balance sheet of companies ( established companies are on a more equal footing with imports or new market entrants ). Unions can focus on competitiveness and worker jobs rather than security and retiree benefits as is the case in large US manufacturing unions. Germany has been in a good market position by focusing on the manufacturing support industries - well aligned with the rise of China, India, Brazil, etc. - kind of like focusing on selling jeans and shovels during a gold rush - so they are less effected by intense consumer good labor deflation.
Old Nov 09, 2010, 02:34 PM
peterp1964 is offline
Find More Posts by peterp1964
Registered User
peterp1964's Avatar
it sure looks like the Germans are doing now as we used to do before
the advent in the early eighties of the age of "trickle down," "personal
responsibility," and all that "free enterprise" nonsense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by radix2 View Post
Earlier this year, the Economist had an extensive report on Germany that I thought was interesting - http://www.economist.com/node/156410...ry_id=15641021 (only 5 sections are free per week without subscribing)

I have been interested in how Germany has been able to maintain it's manufacturing/export economy against the forces of globalization - do they use tariffs to protect markets?, how do they avoid trade conflict, effects on wage rates, etc. Germany would seem to be a good comparator as an example of how to maintain wage rates against foreign competition.

This series touches on the factors that have worked so far and is worth a read.

My main take-aways

Germany does not tie long term liabilities to companies - healthcare and pensions are mostly pay as you go and held outside the balance sheet of companies ( established companies are on a more equal footing with imports or new market entrants ). Unions can focus on competitiveness and worker jobs rather than security and retiree benefits as is the case in large US manufacturing unions. Germany has been in a good market position by focusing on the manufacturing support industries - well aligned with the rise of China, India, Brazil, etc. - kind of like focusing on selling jeans and shovels during a gold rush - so they are less effected by intense consumer good labor deflation.
Old Nov 09, 2010, 03:39 PM
MtnGoat is offline
Find More Posts by MtnGoat
Tu ne cede malis
MtnGoat's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterp1964 View Post
it sure looks like the Germans are doing now as we used to do before
the advent in the early eighties of the age of "trickle down," "personal
responsibility," and all that "free enterprise" nonsense.
I'm sure you have the Ubermen in mind to make the proper judgements to be enforced on all.
Old Nov 09, 2010, 03:57 PM
mortato is offline
Find More Posts by mortato
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterp1964 View Post
Not sure I agree with the article. The UK empire wouldn't have lasted much longer even if it wasn't for the great depression or/and WW2. It had simply run its course.
Old Nov 09, 2010, 04:10 PM
plowboy1966 is offline
Find More Posts by plowboy1966
Do Da Dippidy
plowboy1966's Avatar
We are increasingly hearing more calls from the left for isolationist policies, presumably to protect union wages. As the government takes a larger portion of our economy the inclination toward tariffs and protectionism will become more prevalent as their appetite for revenue will outpace their acumen for business. Cronyism will be even more rampant. It is a recipe for economic disaster. The further down the road to Marxism or Statism or whatever you want to call it, progressivism perhaps, that we go here in this country, the darker the cloud over the world grows.
Old Nov 09, 2010, 06:08 PM
peterp1964 is offline
Find More Posts by peterp1964
Registered User
peterp1964's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGoat View Post
I'm sure you have the Ubermen in mind to make the proper judgements to be enforced on all.
you're always "sure" about many things...problem is they're all imagined.
Old Nov 09, 2010, 06:38 PM
MtnGoat is offline
Find More Posts by MtnGoat
Tu ne cede malis
MtnGoat's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterp1964 View Post
you're always "sure" about many things...problem is they're all imagined.
Really? I'm 'imagining' your desire for State control of what you attack?


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Armed Insurrection in America - The Breaking Point Highflight Life, The Universe, and Politics 31 Nov 02, 2010 05:16 PM
Discussion America's oldest crack dealer, 87, sent to prison for 18 months... FireryPhoenix Life, The Universe, and Politics 0 Oct 30, 2010 10:15 AM
Gallery Scratch build EPP wing for fast FPV catching up with the winds tushev FPV Talk 4 Oct 18, 2010 11:32 AM